Bone broth as PWO protein?

jump4life

I typically do egg whites and sweet potatoes PWO,  but I am always keeping my eyes out for something that would be stable to have in the glove compartment as an emergency backup for when I am not prepared.     Baby food veggies fit the bill for the starchy carb,  but I dont like any jerky so far and my stomach rejects canned meat after a work out. 

I just found Pacific Organic Bone Broth-  single serve pack with no fat and 9 grams of protein.   I think my 2-3 egg whites are about this much protein.   I have been wanting to add bone broth to my diet so this could be a win win.   Any reason this doesn't make sense as a PWO protein choice?

• Moderators

I can't rule it out as a choice, but I am skeptical of your getting real protein from bone broth. By the way, I just checked: I get 30 grams of protein from the 4 ounce can of tuna I eat as my post-workout meal. I find that holds me only about 30-45 minutes before I need to eat more. You would need to drink more than 24 ounces of the Pacific Organic stuff to consume that much "protein." 

Thanks Tom!! 

I think you use a lot more protein than I do immediately PWO.   I did the calculations on the  typical real food meal I eat immediately and I get 10 grams of carbs and 12 grams of protein.   It took me awhile to adjust to eating right after the workout  but now I my body is expecting it.   Then I drive the 35 min commute home and cook my M3, so  typically end up eating another  full protein rich meal about 60-90 min after my work out is complete.  This seems to be working perfectly-  I am actually hungry for the M3 (which I never used to be after a work out) and I haven't had any issues with energy since starting this refueling pattern.     

I didn't think about the type of proteins in the bone broth at all!    I went and read the  Whole9 bone broth FAQ-  which said it is rich in the amino acids proline and glycine and contains collagen proteins.    I posted a question there about using it PWO and will report back with any responses.  

Archived