Is this a good base-line meal plan for my first few days on whole30?

missybear417

Not sure where to post this...

I'm starting my whole30 tomorrow, and I just wanted to check and see if my meal plan seems good.

For the rest of this week, my meals will look like:

Breakfast: a scramble made with sweet potatoes, squash, kale/spinach/swiss chard greens mix, and 2 eggs all cooked in coconut oil (making a large batch of this to have throughout the week)

Lunch: can of tuna, half an avocado, assorted crudite (carrots, jicama, and bell peppers), and a piece of fruit such as an orange or plum, with sparkling water

Dinner: bowl made of greens sauted in coconut oil with roasted squash/carrots/sweet potato and ground beef/turkey with spices topped with a fried egg, OR bowl of compliant chili with a sweet potato, OR spaghetti squash with meat sauce alongside a salad with oil and vinegar.

I'll also be drinking tea with coconut milk throughout the day.

Does this look ok? Balanced enough? I know it might be slightly carb-heavy, but I'm also 32 weeks pregnant so... I need my energy :) Thanks for your input!!

• Moderators

The one concern I had reading your plan was whether you would be consuming enough protein. Two eggs at breakfast is probably one egg short and maybe two. A can of tuna may be okay, but you might need more. And I am assuming you plan a whole plate full of veggies. Especially while pregnant, it is important to eat enough.

Please think carefully about eating canned tuna every day if you're pregnant unless you're absolutely certain you're sourcing something that has very low mercury contamination.  As a high trophic level fish (that eats other fish) the mercury density in tuna is among the highest along with shark and swordfish.

W30 compliance-wise, eat all the tuna you desire, but there's a bigger circle of nutritional facts than the benefits of W30 that you may wish to consider.

You've crossed week 30 so the bulk of rapid brain development is complete.  I have some NIH links if you're interested, but I find Dr. Mercola captures the point:  http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/01/22/mercury-pollution-and-prenatal-exposure.aspx.

Archived