Starting Whole30 on Monday, 10/6

Littlelove

The recommendation is 3 meals. I say if you need to split then split. If your not that hungry in the morning have a little and make sure you have the rest an hour or so later. From what I understand in the book as you progress through the program and your hormones start to realign , you should start waking up hungry. Try and not split every meal though just breakfast for maybe a week and gradually increase how much you eat until you can eat a whole breakfast. Also make sure the split is even so protein fat and veggies at each mini meal not all veggies and fat and then protein later. Especially as a diabetic protein alone can spike your sugars

Hi all!

I still am never hungry. That might feel like a good thing to some but it is hard to eat when you are not hungry! Breakfast is still a struggle. And I have had a few cravings for thing that I never wanted in the first place. Example, I wanted a soda lady night and I don't even drink said. I could buy a 12 pack of Pepsi and have it all year for as many sodas as I would drink. So why I would want one now is a mystery to me. It made me laugh. And no I did now drink one.

I think the hardest part of this for me is that I really and not a cook. I wad more of a baker. Two totally different things! And since I like my food to taste like what I am cooking, i don't know spices and things like that. I do not like sauces.....not cheese sauces, white sauces, no sauses. I can do a red pasta sauce because I love spaghetti sauce. I eat it over veggies because I do not like pasta.

My true weakness....BREAD! I love the stuff. but I finally got that under control. So not bread for this girl. It is very sad.....

But I need to get healthy again and and not eating bread is a small price to pay for health!

Hugs to all,

Little love

But I forgot to tell you the best news! I went to my doctor to let him know that I was doing a while30 and wAnted him to my most current numbers (I am a type 2 diabetic) and he took me of one of my meds so not I am only on one a take twice daily! WooHoo! And is only after one week into my program!! Though my goal is to get healthy and I hoping that somewhere down the road I will be off all my meds. It is a future goal. We all need them!

So how is every one doing? I am hanging in there..... Getting closer to the whole breakfast thing. Looking like an omelett is going to be my go to meal. I will miss the cheese but I have always like olives, tomatoes avocados in them so I guess I will just add my salsa to it. Can't eat it every day but I am getting closer to being able to get a few breakfast meals together. It is progress......

Hugs to all,

Littlelove

Darkbloodangell,

Just a question, when I got up yesterday, I felt like I had no energy. In fact, after I ate my breakfast I sat down on the couch and fell right to sleep. I did not fell sick, just really blah. is this something that can happen when your body is readjusting to life after sugar? Today I feel better just slight headache but I know that is from weaning myself off of my coffee.

I still am struggling with the whole breakfast thing but am doing better. I am sure a lot of this is due to me being a night person and not a morning person. I know that sounds stupid but my body clock just runs on a different pattern. If I stayed awake until 2am and got up at 9 or 9:30 eating at ten would be perfect. but my hubby just has issues with me staying up that late so I go to bed earlier and get up earlier than my body likes. Life is about compromises and so is marriage. Again, a small price to pay for a happy home.

The other thing, I still never "feel" hungry. I am sure some people might see that as a plus but I do not. It is not easy to eat when you have no apatite for it. Nothing taste as good as I know it should. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help,

Littlelove

Darkbloodangell.

Thanks for the vote of confidence! I had read that in the book but was sure if that is what they were talking about since I haven't felt this before. So I must be on the right track. Good to know! I m now rereading my book to see how much more I will get out of it now that I am no the Whole39. I am still determined to get thru this. If I ever feel like it is too hard, it is usually in the morning and I know that it will pass. I still hope that before this is over that I will feel hungry in the mornings so I do not have to struggle to eat. I remain hopeful that it will. I think when I was hungry before it was just that I had not had any sugar for awhile so I was hungry for sugar and not real food. So maybe my body just needs to "find" the new switch to turn on my hunger for real food. And a lot can happen in twenty days! Look what the first eleven have done!

Littlelove

The granola is nothing but nuts, seeds, coconut flakes and coconut oil. It's delicious and totally W30 compliant. We get coconut yogurt in the UK made with 100% coconut. It's quite expensive so you could make your own with coconut milk and probiotic kafir.

• Moderators

The granola is nothing but nuts, seeds, coconut flakes and coconut oil. It's delicious and totally W30 compliant. We get coconut yogurt in the UK made with 100% coconut. It's quite expensive so you could make your own with coconut milk and probiotic kafir.

You can maybe get away with the granola and coconut yogurt as your fat source in a meal, but nuts and seeds are not proteins in a Whole30. You still need protein and vegetables. This thread has more information on granola for breakfast on a Whole30, or this one, or this one, or google Whole30 granola if you want more information. I'd also point out that while nuts and seeds are allowed on W30, you are encouraged to use them sparingly, for a few reasons: for many people, they cause digestive problems, their ratio of omega-3 to omega-6 is not that great, and for many people they are a food without brakes (once you start eating them, you can't stop, or you can easily eat them mindlessly or consume too many of them). 

One of the biggest focuses of Whole30 is not just finding ways to make your old way of eating somehow sort of fit into Whole30 guidelines -- it is to completely change the way you look at food. If you keep trying to eat the same things you have always eaten, just changed enough to be technically compliant, you're missing a big part of what this program can do for you. We're all adults here, and certainly you can choose for yourself what you want to eat, but sometimes, as adults, we just have to suck it up and try new things that we think we aren't going to like. It's 30 days. I don't know about you, but I've certainly spent more than 30 days going to jobs I couldn't stand, being around people I don't really like, or doing other things I really, really don't like doing. Surely you can manage 30 days of protein and veggies at breakfast.

Well, I never thought I would say this but I think I am getting a bit sick if eating protien three times a day. I will continue to follow this program and I will make it to the end. Many things can change in the next three or so weeks and I am looking forward to them. I am feeling the craving for things I had before but I expected these. So no problem there. I just do something I like to and move on. Still no feeling hungry but hopefully that will change. The one think I do notice is that I can really taste all my food. The veggies I love to eat are tasting pretty darn tasty which makes eating my veggies a pleasure! I also made some homemade apple sauce to have with my pork loin and boy was that yummy. Just apples, and some spices.......yum!

When I need crunch, I eat carrots! Baby carrots with guacamole really hits the spot. And works great with lettuce tacos! I really do not like fish or anything that comes out of the sea. And my favorite soup is tomato. Which I will make soon. I am half way there and I know I will make this to the end. Cravings are here more today. But it is a choice that I remind myself I need to make. And I choose health! I am sleeping better and can hardly wait to have some energy back.

I only have ten days left after today! Woohoo, I do not struggle with breakfast anymore. I am such a creature I'd habit, that I just needed to find something I could eat, and then I am good. So breakfast is eggs, bacon, tomatoes and snap peas. I have also come to love coconut milk in my coffee. I love coconut so it really was not a big jump to having it in my coffee! I still have cravings for odd stuff that I would not normally eat but it is okay. I think my head is just screwing with me. Lol! I am feeling so much better now. I never realized how bloated I was and how totally uncomfortable I was until this Whole30. I had heard of people saying that they could stand the way a particular food made them feel but I did not understand what they meant. Now I know! Odd that it took me this long to notice this but when you get out of touch with your body or have learned to ignor it, like I had, what did I expect. I look bsck on the last twenty days and see the struggles I have gone through and I can honestly say, they really were not all that bad. My biggest huddle was breakfast and now that I got that working, it is all good. I feel better than I have in a long time. I am looking forward to what the next ten days bring my way.

Also, since I have to cook now, I just bought a professional set of Circulon pots and pans! Woohoo! My first dish, stew! Yum!

Seven days to go. I have decided that I will never add sugar back I to my food plan. I am looking forward to thanksgiving and coming up with a healthy meal. But hard to go wrong with turkey! Yum! My middle daughter actually has cut out all the diet coke she has been drinking! What? I am so proud of her. She said she actually has lost almost ten pounds since she did that! Momma bear is very happy!

My hubby's birthday was on the 27th and I made him brownies! Normally would have ate a couple with him but not this time! Funny thing was I missed licking the spoon more than I did eating the brownie. So it will be something I will need to remember as that can be a mindless habit. Who needs those type of habits?!

• 2 weeks later...

I have officially completed my first Whole30!!!  I am feeling so much better that I did when I started.  I lost 14 pounds!!!  I also lost one complete size ad the next size is already loose.  But the biggest thing for me, is that I was taken completely off one of my meds and the other was reduced by a third.  I still have a ways to go to get completely off my meds but this is just the start of my journey.  I will continue with my Paleo lifestyle and limit my treats to just that.... An occasional treat.  with that said.......my first treat was to have some cream in my coffee.  And half way through, I dumped the coffee and got another cup and put my coconut milk in it.  So much better!   I guess, the taste buds must be tuned to a different song now.  :P

Thanks darkbloodangell for your support and encouragement.  It helps to know someone "out there" is keeping track of you.  I appreciated it.

Oh and just in case anyone wants to know, I kind like my breakfast now.  I guess I am just use to it.  I know I should probably eat more than I do but hey, baby steps right?! :D

Congratulations Littlelove. You should be incredibly proud of your effort and how far you have come. And to get off your meds is amazing. 

I start again tomorrow. I stepped off on day 20 as i took a trip back home and was not going to miss an ulster fry. Then it was halloween (drinking) and then i got food poisoning and could stomach nothing but cold dry toast. Happy to report i did drop a dress size, lose 8kg and got my morning bloods under control, So tomorrow I begin again.and i think i'm going to go until christmas.

I am so sorry you got food poisoning. That is pretty rough stuff. I too am starting my second While30 next Monday, a week from tomorrow. I had a death in the family and things are a bit crazy and try as I do, I cannot always get good food with everything that needs to be done. But I am doing the best I can. I will go until the 20th of December and then take a week off.

I still have more I need to do to get off my meds. So I will continue and it us funny....when I eat anything off program, I feel like I am cheating! Please keep in touch. We can help each other along!

Archived