Starting Monday the 20th

JSteeleM

Hello everyone!  Today is Day 5 for me and so far so good.  Surprisingly I have not been feeling any of the textbook feelings as listed in the "Timeline", that I can notice anyway.  I'm not sure if this is because I'm on my 2nd W30, which in my opinion wouldn't be relevant because 1) my first W30 was back in February this year and 2) I went WAY off track with my eating prior to starting this W30.  I guess we shall see how I feel as I continue.  I'm finding that this round is easier for me to make good food choices.  After I completed my first W30 the concepts sort of stuck with me so I guess I don't have to think too much about what to eat this time around.  

I made the bone broth from the Nom Nom Paleo cookbook over the weekend and it turned out really good.  That was my first time making bone broth - it was so easy to do!  Looking forward to doing another big cookup this weekend - it has definitely helped with meal planning during the week.

What are everyone's favorite recipes/foods so far?  Next week I'll be trying the bacon burgers (if I can find compliant bacon!) and the loco moco from the Nom Nom Paleo cookbook. 

Hi everyone,

I started on 10/20 as well. So far so good. I've had headaches but they seems to be getting better. My face is less dry then usual during this time of year. I also didn't have back pain when I woke up today. My insomnia is subsiding. Meaning I'm sleeping harder during the night w/out waking up so often. We'll see if this is a fluke or if it's going to stick. I'm hopeful.

Tomorrow night I'm going to a hockey game, it's going to be rough not having a beer but one of the people I'm going with has just gone through the Whole 30 and is very supportive.

She reminded me of this Pumpkin Chili recipe I sent her a while that is compliant and I will be making it this weekend.

http://spryliving.com/recipes/crowd-pleasing-slow-cooker-pumpkin-chili/

Stay strong everyone!

-Cathie

It's encouraging to read how well you guys are all doing.  I'm feeling great today, but I admit the first few days were rough.  The cravings really hit me a couple of days ago and yesterday I was dragging, but today I'm feeling energized and upbeat.  Its a good feeling!  

Someone mentioned Nom Nom Paleo - I love that cookbook!  I also like the Paleo By Season book and I just got Well Fed.  I did a big cook up on Monday night and made several things to eat all week.  Having the fridge stocked with well prepared compliant foods has helped a lot.

Cathie, that pumpkin chili sounds GOOD.  Glad to hear everyone is rocking this thing so far!  If you haven't discovered it on the forum yet, Deb from the 6/9 group (the first Whole30 I did earlier this summer) came up with the idea to do an ingredient of the day.  She posted a ton of recipes each day and I got tons of ideas and new recipes that way.  I couldn't manage that much cooking every single day, but definitely I tried new ingredients and got inspired.

Here are the links:

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/20736-ingredient-of-the-day-links-for-each-day-of-whole-30/

and another round the following month:

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/22006-30-more-ingredient-of-day-links-for-each-day-of-the-whole-30-part-2/

Right now I have a Well Fed shepherd's pie in the oven.  Things are good here, especially sleep:  head hits the pillow and I'm out all night.  I discovered vastly improved sleep on my first Whole30 and it is one of my favorite benefits.  Ahhh, deep sleep!  Nothing better.

Keep it up, gang!

Happy Saturday everyone! I'm so excited to have survived my first WHole 30 Friday. I normally kick off my weekend with a few glasses of wine and I did have some additional anxiety about it yesterday and did snack a bit more than probably should have on some fruit and nuts, but that's OK! Everyday seems to get a bit easier for me and I am so thrilled it's the weekend and I can stock up on cooking (although I normally drink while I cook lol) and its even raining here for the first time this year. Think I will make:

chili with sweet potatoes

zucchini fritters

a big ol mess of cruciferous crunch stir fry

thinking about cooking some brisket or pork shoulder

huge roasting pan of veggies

pumpkin soup

Have a great Sat! 

Wow - that was close. Last night, DH and I went to watch some cycle racing at the velodrome. We had to leave home at 4:30 so instead of risking trying to find compliant food at the stalls there, I packed us some leftover fish pie and veg to eat there. Not a great picnic food, but the best I had to hand. However, after dashing out the door to catch the train I realised I forgot it!!! Ahhh.

Quick stop at the supermarket and we managed to pick up some ready made salmon, salad and olives. Phew!

Day 7 everyone! Stick with it :)

I survived my football party and a night out drinking with my besties.  I was the designated driver and earned a lot of respect from some of my friends for staying true to the program.  I have another friend who was on her Day 4 and ina panic because she was being tempted by cookies.  I think I was able to talk her off the ledge.  I'm very excited to have inspired someone to try Whole30.

Day 8! How is everyone? Mondays are always a tough day and I'm usually feeling guilty from having overindulged on the weekend. Not today! and that's pretty awesome. I did probably eat too much nut butter and dried fruit, but I can live with that. How's everyone else doing? Strangely enough, right on the timing of the timeline, I dreamed of eating candy last nigth (strange cuz I dont even really eat candy very often but funny too!). Hoping this week is not too rough...Mentally prepping for Halloween and all the little candies (maybe I will call them sugar bombs) and the warnings from timeline about days this week, which dont sound as bad as last week but not 'tiger blood' either....

Aaaarrrggh! Massive slump this afternoon! I know I'm just craving because I'm bored. I'd love to try a distraction method like go for a walk, but I really need to get some work finished so am chained to the computer... I'm clearly not doing it though as I'm currently ranting on the forum! I'm also a little worried that if I go out, I'll end up buying chocolate from the sweet shop. Rant rant rant!

Otherwise doing ok. Did a massive cook- up yesterday but am a little worried as something didn't agree with me as I felt a bit bloated last night even though I was fully compliant... At least I think I was. Could have just been all the food I picked at whilst cooking. Good job I'm not a chef, otherwise I'd be the size of a house!

Anyone made the scotch eggs from Well Fed - they're awesome! I had some for lunch today. I also recommend this tuna recipe (I just made the tuna, not the bean salad it goes with): http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Oil-Poached-Tuna-Salad-51178990

I'm not sure you're allowed to poach in olive oil (?) and I omitted the non compliant ingredients. The herb/onion salsa was scrumptious! We had it with salad but I think it would go really well with some zucchini noodles.

In other news, I think hubby was definitely in 'kill all the things' stage yesterday. :)

Hang in there EleanorB. I've been craving tortilla chips like crazy but I just try to push it out of my mind. Mid day I'm feeling pretty energized and good but then hit the afternoon slump as well. I feel like I could take a little cat nap. Stay strong.

YIPPEE!!! Day 15 everyone! We have reached half way! How is everyone doing?  Any magic yet?

Everything ok over here.  Pretty tired today after a busy weekend, but otherwise on track.  Started having some vivid dreams (the other night, I dreamt my husband ate all the scotch eggs I'd made earlier that day... and last night it was so strange I can't put it together, but involved animals made out of chocolate, a bit like Easter eggs - I don't even like milk chocolate!).  I am starting to manage to go from meal to meal with little to no snacking, as I'm not hungry.  I am however slightly worried I am addicted to nuts and so am contemplating cutting them out altogether for the second half.  Clothes are feeling better but I am feeling a little bloated/fat today... probably due to nuts! Skin is clearer and I am falling asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow.  I survived Halloween, and wasn't remotely tempted by the bowl of sweets by the door for the trick or treaters, and last night went to the local Guy Fawkes fireworks display, and didn't mind passing up on mulled wine and toffee apples.  No boundless energy yet though...

I'm still here!  Day 15 for me too and so far so good.  I'm not sure if I'm feeling any "magic" just yet but honestly I haven't felt much of anything except perhaps less bloating.  The past few days I felt like giving up more than once, especially on Halloween when we had my whole family over.  I made a nice W30 meal for everyone but there was still a lot of alcohol, sweets, and other non-compliant things on the table.  It was hard to resist everything.  

Over the weekend I cooked a ton of stuff to eat during the week.  I'm really enjoying finding new recipes to try!

Stick with it Melissa and well done for making it through a big family meal without caving in! I also didn't think I was noticing much improvement until I started listing it all... and then I realised that things were going better than I thought! It's all a learning curve though.

Totally agree about the recipes! I am becoming the ruler in the kitchen.  I'm loving seeing the ingredients I have and throwing them together to make something delicious... or seeking inspiration from others.  I absolutely love the Well Fed books.

Have a great Day 16! xx

Day 16! Wow I was looking forward to this day and I must say it feels pretty good. No major magic here either and Ive had a cold so not sure about more energy even but here's what I am noticing:

Hunger def. decreasing---still doing some mindless snacking though and def. agree about nuts being hard to control!~ 

More energy in workouts (when I am not sick)

Sleeping much better and waking much more refreshed---this is huge. 

Clothes maybe a *tad* looser but again nothing major'

Not drinking is getting MUCH easier. I know I will re-intro wine but am trying to figure out how I do that i,e, just on weekends, etc. 

I am trying to focus on the NSVs since I dont expect a big loss at the end. Did some measurements though so we will see. Way to Go everyone! We are on the downhill slide! 

Great job, everybody!!

I also started on Oct 20, but didn't find this thread until about a week in when I needed some commiseration, so thank you all for that!!

It's day 18! And fantastic! I wake up so much more easily, have more energy than I've had in such a long time. My achy joints are not as achy anymore. And I really feel like I am seeing food as a way of nourishing my body. Which is the most amazing thing. I hope it continues!!!

Here's to day 19!!

And here's to day 21. Strange to think our WHole 30 ends NEXT week...like the end is in sight. I'm definitely thinking about reintro and am a bit nervous, I will admit.

This whole 30 has been good but I can definitely see me doing it again in Jan. I think I snacked too much (especially at the beginning, better now that I have thrown some trigger foods away) and ate some when I wasnt truly hungry. But, I have made tons of progress. Not having alcohol for 21 days is a huge victory for me. I love my wine! 

So, this week I am focusing on tightening up on snacking, finding true hunger (which means I should eat a tad less so that I am actually hungry at next meal) and trying at least 1-2 new recipes.

For reintro, I am going to add wine back in right away but think I will largely maintain this way of eating with the occasional stray. One thing that I realized ( I think ) is that hard boiled eggs do not agree with me. Too bad cuz they are such a great source of protein but not worth the discomfort. I'm still trying to figure out if scrambled are ok. 

I am very curious to see if I have lost weight. I am tryign to prep my self mentally for seeing the same weight or even a gain, but hope my measurements will tell a better story. I am about 15 lbs overweight only so I know I cant compare myself to others. 

Anyway. happy Monday, we are rocking this whole 30~

Hey Melanie, totally agree! I'm also starting to think about life beyond next week and have just bought myself some new paleo recipe books in celebration. I'm planning to keep the paleo lifestyle going and I think hubby is almost on board (he's been doing W30 with me). However, I think Christmas might be difficult to navigate so will probably be back on in January. I'm even contemplating doing a W100 to really cement the new lifestyle.

Still no bounding energy or tiger blood for me or hubby. I'm hoping it's going to come in the next few days. :)

hey Elanor---TOTALLY get it. Yesterday was hard for me too...I was like hey, 25 days is as good as 30 lol! But, I did not give in...AGain, I am really missing wine, food part is ok for me (for the most part). I was also feeling really bloated which doesnt help with motivation. 

Thinking a lot about my reintro. I plan to adhere to Whole 30 90% of hte time, like during the week 100% and allow myself some carefully considered deviations on the weekend. I am not counting wine in my deviations (haha) but do plan to drink more moderately i.e. in social occasions, have some weekends wine free, etc. 

Another thing I started doing yesterday is to keep a hunger log. I have a really hard time stopping eating when I am satisfied, not stuffed. This is especially hard for me on Whole 30 since there is no weighing food, no logging calories, etc. Dont get me wrong I LOVE that part but think I have been overeating most of my WHole 30. So, I am trying to bring some more awareness to hunger/satiety. I'm also thinking about whether or not to weigh in on Thursday....it has been SO Freeing not to let scale dictate my mood but I do want to see what happend....I'm also just concerned about how a gain (which I sorta suspect) might make me feel on day 31....

Yeah, my tiger blood has definitely come in waves--none of which have been very big! 

January will be a great time to reset. COngrats to both of us for making it! 

We made it! Day 30!! Congrats. I feel good about this achievement and have decided to weigh in tomorrow. But, if I don't see a loss, I am not going to worry about it. I can feel small changes in my body and clothes and have been so much happier with no weighing in. I also love not spending 15 minutes of my commute each day logging my food. Moving forward, I am going to whole 30 eat during the week but allow myself wine/a couple drinks (paelo-ish options ie no beer or sweet stuff) on the weekends. Otherwise, very occasional sugar and dairy. I still plan to do this again in January for another reset too.

The main thing that I have begun to relearn during my whole30 is to be more in touch with hunger. There are no portions to weigh, calories to count so it really forces me to listen to my body a lot more. No doubt--I have overeaten A LOT on this whole30--but that has helped me get to this point. Even last night I had some banana, coco milk and coconut after dinner when I was not truly hungry. But, I am working on it and think that this awareness in combo with a whole 30 eating will be a good sustainable combo for me. 

Archived