Starting Monday the 20th

JSteeleM

I've been doing a mostly paleo diet for several months now and I've lost about 25 lbs.  I've looked at Whole30 before, but wasn't really ready for that level of commitment, but I think now is the time.  I really want to take things further and get as healthy as I can.  Especially now that winter is coming and in the NW winter can be really tough for me.  

I feel confident I can do it, but I'm worried about not having any alcohol.  My friends and I get together about once a week and have a few drinks (sometimes a few more), play pool or cards and just socialize.  It'll be tough for me not to join in.  I'm going to let them know what I'm doing and ask for their support so I think that will help.  I may have to skip the hang out sessions that involve alcohol, but like I've ready a  number of times already: It's only 30 days!

Anyone else starting Monday?  Feel free to message me.  I know I could use moral support so I'm willing to give it.

I'm gearing up for my 3rd Whole30 this weekend as well - and I'm also an Oregonian (I live out in Columbia County).

JSteele, alcohol was one of the harder things for me to give up also (that, and coffee on my 2nd Whole30).  I found that instead of reaching for the wine most every night when I got home from work, I'd have a kombucha instead.  And I got to actually really like club sodas when I was out socially.  It was weird at first when everyone else was drinking, but it does get easier.  Don't cut yourself off socially or you'll miss out on too much of the good stuff!

Melissa:  I'm in Portland too. That's great that you're doing your second round.  Any tips?

Darkbloodangel:  Good point!  I may need to just take a break for the first couple of week though until I get the hang of things. ;-)

Higs:  Great advice.  Thanks!  I like Kombucha so I think I'll try that.  I'll try the club soda at the bar too.  I used to brew my own, but that got to be a pain.  Columbia County is beautiful.  I've thought about quitting coffee.  How did that go for you?  What made you decide to leave out the coffee for your second whole 30?

JSteele, I gave up coffee because it was something I knew I was too addicted to it.  The Whole30 says coffee is generally OK if it's not a regular, daily habit. For me, it is.  I probably quit coffee once a year, and it always manages to creep back in.  Caffeine withdrawal for me usually means 2-3 days of headaches, tiredness and a foul mood, but once coming out the other side, things feel great!

Sadly, I've never loved tea the way I love coffee.  I try.  Just not the same.

A friend of mine drinks shrubs (?), sort of a fruit/vinegar elixir that you can mix with sparkling water to make a cocktail.  Apparently it's a "thing."  Pok Pok makes them?  Most of what I've found online has sugar, but maybe they can be made without and can help spruce up a cocktail.

Awesome that so many of us are starting today!  Good luck everyone and to those that gave advice thanks!  I've got the pantry and fridge ready to go and I'm really feeling positive about it.  My friends and family know what I'm doing and have agreed to pester me about eating or drinking stuff I can't have.

Hi all, I also started today! And I hear the alcohol worries loud and clear. In fact, I kept waiting for a time when my calendar would not get in the way of whole 30 but that will never happen. SO, I just have to figure out how to have fun without alcohol. I already brew kombucha so there's a nice alternative and I love bubbly water. Already have three events in my whole 30 that would have been drinking sessions otherwise. And, I'm already mentally preparing for them. 

How is everyone doing?  It's day 3!!!!  I'm feeling great.  This is my 2nd W30 and it seems so much easier this time.  I am worried about this weekend though.  I have a football party to attend and I will be surrounded by non-compliant food and alcohol.  I plan on eating before I go and taking compliant snacks with me. Drinking water while everyone else is drinking beer will be tough but I know I can do it.

Hi Heather.  I know you can do it too!  You've got a plan for your football party and having a plan is what will make the difference.  Glad you're feeling great too!

Day three for me has started out well, but I'll admit I slept in (easy working from home day) and I've just been enjoying my coffee with full fat coconut milk and catching up on email and stuff.  The last two days were a little more difficult for me.  I noticed that I was really cranky!  I felt fine most of the time, but little things were getting under my skin really easily.  Fortunately, I realized the cause and that helped me get a lid on it.  I probably didn't help things by over indulging last weekend, but what can I say.  I was weak!

Way to go everyone!  When I did my first Whole30, I found this link really useful because it describes in general terms what to expect as your body adjusts to all the changes:

http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

Of course, it didn't match exactly, but I knew from prior cleanses etc. that really those first 2 or 3 days are toughest.  This forum is a tremendous resource, and those daily emails really are good.

I'm on my third Whole30 in a relatively brief timespan so so far I haven't had any major detoxy effects, although I'm pretty tired today.  But I know all the good stuff that is to come, and that is a huge motivation!

How are you all doing with food and meal planning?  The best thing I've learned is to do big cook ups on the weekend.  I am also quite lazy and will happily eat the same thing for dinner for 3 or 4 days in a row.  If I plan right, I can get away with cooking just a couple times a week, but I'll spend at least a couple hours on Sundays prepping roasted veggies and making at least one chili or stew that I can eat all week and freeze.  Other things I've learned along the way:  cauliflower is your friend!  I love it as a rice, as a puree, or roasted.  I probably cook it 3 times a month.  And:  bone broth is awesome!  I make the biggest batch I can, throw it in quart jars and freeze it.  It is wonderful to have a cup in the morning instead of coffee.  Tasty, and so good for you.  And:  my approach to breakfast is completely different now.  I rarely eat eggs for breakfast.  Instead, I usually have a sausage (some good compliant ones at Whole Foods) or a lamb burger, and then a big pile of whatever veggies I have on hand and a hearty helping of avocado (I'll eat a quarter to a half at a time depending on how hungry I am and what my workout was that morning).  Protein + fat + veg.  I've been eating breakfasts that way for over four months and it's awesome.

Good luck to all!  I'm looking forward to hearing about the benefits you'll start to notice.

You guys, I have to say I have been feeling really good so far! :wub:I was fortunate to have two pretty free evenings when I started, so I cooked a lot :D Hubby isn't doing the diet with me per se, but he is luckily very supportive (as long as I'm willing to share all my food.) 

I have been focusing on a few things this time around that I didn't really prioritize on W30#1, which I have found to be pretty helpful:

1. getting adequate sleep - at LEAST 7h/night

2. minimizing snacking between meals (hard to eliminate, but a work in progress) and letting myself feel hungry before meals

3. eating less fruit and more vegetables

4. Healing my gut - with at least one fermented food/drink and one TBSP of collagen daily

5. Doing more yoga :)

So far so good! Has anybody else changed their approach this go-around?

Day 4! Woo to the hoo! How ya guys doing? I'm looking forward to doing some major shopping/cooking this weekend. I did have yummy spaghetti last night with squash but it was a real treat becasue I had gotten very afraid of eating tomato sauce do to Lyn Genet The Plan (*she says this food is highly reactive to many peopl and causes weight gain) but since I have decided to just go with whole 30 and leave the obessive tendencies from LG behind, it feels very freeing. Whole 30 is actually a LOT less restrictive than LG so the food part is easy. 

The not drinking part? Not so easy. I am already mentally prepping for tomorrow and Sat and Sun (lol) but I know that once I make it throught his weekend, my resolve will be much stronger. I am fully committed so not going to give in. I really want to prove to myself that I can do this much more that I want that glass of wine. I will treat myself to a very nice bottle at the end....

AMeyer5683 - yep I'm also trying to reduce eliminate snacking and reduce fruit to 1-2 pieces a day if any. Day 4 and so far so good. Although the hunger has really kicked in today so the no snacking thing has gone out of the window for now. I'm trying to up my fat and protein intake, so will see how that goes tomorrow. I'm hoping the hunger phase passes and my resolve doesn't wain beforehand otherwise there could be trouble ahead!

I also started my first W30 on 10/20 and currently on day 4.  I never cook so this week has been an adjustment by having to cook all my meals.  But I found a lot of good receipes before I started and that has helped a ton.  I've been drinking 96 oz. of water a day and that has helped a lot with my hunger.  Also, I'm already craving sweets less and less which is great because they are my huge weakness. 

I hope everyone is doing great and keep up the good work!!

Archived