Reintroduction starting right on Thanksgiving eek!

AriRodriguez56

Okay so I'm already thinking ahead and the fact that my whole30 ends the day before Thanksgiving. I didn't realize until now that there is a reintroduction plan and I possibly can't just indulge or take part in the whole thanksgiving feast as I thought. I was left with a couple options and lots of questions so I hope someone can help. I was first thinking of just reintroducing grains but I know there will be pasta and rice and I'm not sure if these are technically in separate categories/groups and I'm just going to assume they wouldn't be gluten free since my grandmother will be doing all the cooking. Also, is it possible to indulge in the food even if it's more than one group and still go back to the whole30 the next two days as outlined ? I know I technically wouldn't know which food group gave me a reaction if I have any but could I try the groups again separately after going back to the whole30 those two days after? Ugh! I don't know what to do and I can't do a whole30 afterwards bc it will run into another holiday feast, Christmas.

• Moderators

You are right that you cannot do a proper reintroduction and learn which foods effect you and how if you consume a variety of off-plan foods in a day. Our standard reintroduction protocol calls for separate days of testing for legumes, non-gluten grains, dairy, and gluten-containing grains with at least 2 days of Whole30-compliant eating after each test day. 

Completing a Whole30 without working through the reintroduction process improves your health and some of your habits, but it means you are continuing on without the customized guidance of what can be learned only through a careful reintroduction process. Personally, I would enjoy myself at Thanksgiving and plan on doing another, complete Whole30 with reintroductions starting in January. 

• Moderators

Rice is a non-gluten grain while almost all pasta involves gluten, so they are two different categories.

You could eat a lot of things on Thanksgiving and then go back to strict Whole30 eating afterwards. You may take longer than 2 days to recover from a lot of off-plan eating on Thanksgiving, but whenever you are back to Whole30-good again, you could start reintroducing. For example, you might need 5 days of Whole30-style eating to recover, but then you could begin the standard protocol. 

Archived