Day 12 and still so very...meh.

I'm finishing day 12 today, and while I feel pretty confident about the decisions I've been making and my grasp on the program, etc., I'm not feeling any of the health benefits. I'm super tired. Like, really, really tired. I have a 2 mo. old who's up 2 or 3 times a night, sometimes for an hour, so I know that's the reason, but I thought my eating would help. Am I just jumping the gun? Is it coming? Also, my stomach has been hurting almost every morning. I've been eating eggs, which I think might be the culprit, but honestly I like having eggs in the morning because it's easiest. I can't imagine cooking a real, non-eggy meal for breakfast. So...thoughts? Could eggs be making my stomach hurt? Is it normal to still be so bloated and tired? I'm not going to quit, but would love some help from other breastfeeding mamas.

Just for reference, here's my day:

Two eggs, baby kale, leftover sweet potato fries, ghee

Egg and banana

Sauteed zucchini and eggplant with tomato sauce, chicken sausage, salad w/ lemon juice and olive oil and 5 or so olives, orange

Small can of tuna, 1/2 avocado, radishes

Big salad w/ cucumber, carrots, beets, sprouts, avocado, egg, and grilled chicken w/ lemon juice and olive oil

Also, I want to eat like 12 cookies. So I think I'll go to bed instead.

• Moderators

Eggs can definitely be a problem for people. Many of us eat leftovers for meal one, so no need to cook anything fresh. Any template meal will do; it doesn't have to look like a traditional breakfast.

Other breastfeeding mamas and mods can say more, but my guess is you're hungry for cookies because you're hungry period. You should eat more, lady, and more of all the good stuff: veggies, fats, protein.

It's really hard to deal with the sleep deprivation of the infant months. Sometimes you just want to eat to keep your energy up. And that's not necessarily a bad thing.

In general, the fact that you're eating five times a day is good - you might think about eating a bit more at your mid-morning and mid-afternoon meals, or sip on compliant coconut milk throughout the day. Or add a sixth mini-meal during the night.

Eggs can cause problems, I get really bad stomach aches when I eat more than one at a time.  I can certainly understand your not having time or energy to do much more. You might think, for instance, about cooking extra chicken when you make dinner, and save it for breakfast the next day. It might seem weird to eat something like dinner leftovers for breakfast, but it's certainly fast!

Hang in there and don't worry if you need to eat yet another mini-meal. Sleep as much as you can, and let us know how it goes.

I find it hard to eat big chunks of meat in the morning. My favorite breakfast is soup or stir fried ground meat with veggies. You can make a big batch and the heat it up when you have time. Are you eating digestive enzymes? Probiotics? This will get better. Good Luck!

Thank you both for weighing in! This morning I had 1.5 chicken sausages and veggies and .5 avocado and a grapefruit. I also put coconut milk in my coffee, and I'll plan to try to finish that can today. I'm stuffed, but not nauseous, which is an improvement. I'm so bummed, though! Eggs are the cheapest source of protein, and the Whole30 is pricey! Oh well, good to figure out what has what effect on me, and there is plenty of time for oats in the future. Thanks again, and I'll report back if anything else comes up!

I find it hard to eat big chunks of meat in the morning. My favorite breakfast is soup or stir fried ground meat with veggies. You can make a big batch and the heat it up when you have time. Are you eating digestive enzymes? Probiotics? This will get better. Good Luck!

Good idea about the probiotics! I have some, I jusy always forget to take them. So I'll add that to my routine, too. And I'm roasting veggies for some soup now! Whew! It takes a village, doesn't it?

Okay, sorry to anyone who is reading this bored to tears, but here's an update:

After breakfast - 1 1/2 chicken sausages and veggies and 1/2 avocado and a grapefruit, coconut milk in my 1/2 cup of coffee - I didn't snack, which is actually sort of odd for me, but I felt fine.

Lunch was chicken w/ mayo and bell peppers, and sweet potato/carrot soup.

Mini-meal was more chicken and mayo and some sauerkraut.

Dinner was green beans sauteed in ghee, white potato "fries" baked w/ EVOO, burger w/ avocado (proably 1/2), tomato, sauerkraut, mustard.

I've been stuffed/bloated since dinner, which was at 6pm, and my stomach has been hurting most of the evening, though the rest of the day I felt pretty good. Does it just take awhile for the eggs to get out of my system? Or could it be something else going on? Or, again, do I just need to be patient? Thanks y'all!

Ya know, this stuff can be pretty individual. Bell peppers and sauerkraut could do it for me, but for you they might be fine. I'm sorry you're still having issues.  Some folks report lots of bloating with avocado. See? It's kind of a try-this-try-that scenario. Your meals look good, and the bloating has got to be a bummer.

Digestive enzymes can be a big help as you're adjusting to Whole30 eating, so whatever tweaks you try next, you might get some of those (read ingredient labels first) and see if they help along the way.

Good luck and keep updating, let us know how you're doing. 

Yes it can take a while for foods that irritate you to get out of your system. Some people can still have a gluten reaction up to 6 months after they eat gluten. I notice that when I eat meat for breakfast I don't get hungry for lunch for at least 4 hours. When I eat eggs even three I am hungry within 3 hours. Hope you are feeling better.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay. I've been doing great! Feeling so much better...I'm not eating eggs in the morning, which helps. I can handle them in the afternoon or evening. Isn't that funny? Today - day 23! - I had a bit if a setback and I'm trying not to let it get me too discouraged. I have been with family the past couple of days and really strictly sticking to the program, offering to cook or coming up with recipes when I can. But today everyone was out and about and wanted to go out, so we did. I was STARVING...I ordered a big salad w/ just veggies and blackened tuna...a better option than fried chicken or Asian marinated chicken or fried shrimp, but now I read that blackened almost always means sugar! Ugh! I'm prone to all or nothing thinking and going down that rabbit whole is temping right now! I should've cut off the blackened part but, goodness, I was so hungry and was holding my LO. Do I need to start over?

• 1 month later...

I enjoyed reading your posts and I am starting my second whole30 tomorrow. I did one back in March. I was breastfeeding an 18 month old last time and this time I am 28 weeks pregnant so I'll probably still have a mini meal and stay on top of my fat intake. I am also psyched that I can eat white potato this time around. I love baked potatoes and topping them with meat :). I am actually doing a whole60 this time if not longer. 

Archived