Osteoarthritis

Anyone here have any improvement on this?

I finally got my dh on board (grudgingly, lol!) with a Whole30. He's already grain free (except beer on special occasions) and mostly sugar free so it's the other stuff that's the issue.

I want to get him off the blood pressure meds. His blood sugar readings went way down when cutting grains and his triglycerides and cholesterol and all that are better, but his blood pressure didn't move much (which is ironic because mine shot way down when I cut grains!).

But his main concern is his achy knees. I know osteo is different from rheumatic and maybe there's not much to be done at this point (other than knee surgery) but I think it's worth a try.

Anyone here have any tips for me?

Would he be willing to try his Whole30 wothout nightshades? It was hard for me, harder than going withous grains or dairy, and I didn't even think it was doing anything. But when I reintroduced after six weeks it was like "oh, hello pain, I hadn't even realized you were missing until you were back!"

I've also been experimenting with grass fed gelatin for my joints, and while it may just be wishful thinking, something profound might be happening in my ankles and knees.

We tried cutting nightshades awhile back and it didn't help BUT (and this is a big but! :lol: ) he was not full on Whole 30 at the time, simply grain free. So he was still eating dairy, canola oil, etc.

I'm thinking of talking him into a Whole30 without nightshades. He loves bell peppers so that would probably be the hardest. We already avoid potatoes (since I do most of the cooking and I'm doing the Whole30 right now). And then we'd have to cut tomatoes so I guess bye bye to chili and stuff like that (he isn't a fan of raw tomatoes anyway so that's not an issue).

Good luck with the gelatin! I'll look into that too.

I don't think that jumping into it cutting night shades is absolutely necessary... much of the arthritis process is inflammatory in nature, and just a simple Whole30 can cut out much of that inflammation. I might start him on the regular program and then remove nightshades if he doesn't improve after the 30 days.

Just my opinion...

Robin, it's a welcome opinion :D I'm not sure I can get him totally on board anyway. He's grudgingly considering the Whole30 - an autoimmune Whole30 might just set him over the edge.

He is skeptical about all this. His blood sugar went way down when he cut grains (he was diabetic and now his numbers are in the non-diabetic range all the time) but I think he still thinks it's exercsie or something, lol! (funny because he was exercising just as much when we were on the low fat, high "healthy whole grain" diet, but his numbers were not this good).

I'll have a talk with him and see which way he wants to go. He's the one who has to stick with it. He's an adult and I won't be policing him so if he won't do it, he won't do it.

Ok, thanks for the food for thought!

Archived