Planning Ahead...

ChrisMizu

A long time friend/ acquaintance shared this site on Facebook. After pouring over this site, I think this is exactly what I need! I have recently figured out that my long tolerated dermatitis is caused by either a wheat or gluten allergy. I know this because of the intense itching I have experienced after being off wheat for even 4-6 days at a time! Having other issues as well has led me to believe only good can come out of this Whole30 program (all issues are addressed in the testimonial section). With some major exceptions, like needing sugar in my teas and coffee, and cream in my coffee as well, the eating plan should not be too much of a change from what I am already doing. However, with the holidays, I have decided that I will not start until 1/7/15. This gives me time to wean myself off cream and sugar, and gives me "training" times over the next 5 weeks. I will be thinking of this as a 30-day marathon, and since one would not, in any right mind, go out and physically run a marathon without first training for it, it makes perfect sense to my brain that I would have 3-5 days on the program here and there as training for the real thing! This will also help me to make certain I have stocked up on items I will be needing. Most changes for the better are gradual, not instantaneous!

• Administrators

Congrats! Training is a great idea....but caution, the first 1-10 days generally bring in the worst symptoms, it's possible, depending on how your pre-whole30 consumption is, that you are going to keep repeating some of the worst "early stages" symptoms. Just be aware.....doing an actual full Whole30 does not suck NEARLY as much as the first 3-10 days! :)

I agree - jump in with both feet !   I too had to have cream and sugar with my coffee, sugar/honey in my tea.  I would have never believed that by the end of my 30 I would be drinking tea without any sweetner at all !   I gave up the coffee because I only like coffee if it has cream and sugar in it.  I believe in picking your battles.

I think giving up the premade sauces-dressings-ketchup- mayo was harder.  and the added sugar in almost everything even in salmon, and canned veggies.  BUT I learned how to make mayo, found out I like my burgers with an avocado instead of ketchup.   Dressing on my salad is now avocado oil/ balsamic vinegar and lime juice.  Or home made mustard vinegarette

if you decide to the training - but don't get discouraged when you do start.  Post here when you need a lift - there are a ton of people here who are very willing to help give you the support you need.

Good luck and keep us posted !

ChrisMizu, best of luck on your "Pre-W30" phase, and when you jump in on January 7th!

Our whole family is going Whole30 on January 1st, and I also thought an extended preparation phase made a lot of sense. Our family includes my husband, our two youngest daughters who are still at home (ages 13 and 8), a close family friend who works with my husband and lives with us Monday through Saturday, and myself. 

I felt I needed sufficient time to read as much helpful material as possible, check out recipes and create meal plans, stock the freezer and pantry, and use up or give away the foods we will no longer be eating. I also want to give our girls enough time to think it over, ask questions, and get used to the idea before we jump in. Any suggestions/ideas/advice anyone has on doing Whole30 with kids are welcome and appreciated!

I've ordered "Eat Like A Dinosaur" (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1936608871/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER), "Paleo Pals" (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/193660888X/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER), and a trio of "Paleo Kids" cook books for them. I know Paleo isn't exactly Whole30, but they were the best I could find. I'm asking for their input on menus and meal planning, and we are checking out recipes together. I'm also encouraging them to ask questions and express concerns and anxieties. Additionally, I'm secretly weaning them from the most egregious non-Whole30 foods they are used to (sugars and grains, mostly). 

I'm also realizing we will have to do some adjusting with our budget, and it may be necessary to start purchasing some items now for consumption next month. We don't eat much meat, as we prefer to eat only organic, pastured meats, and they are simply too expensive to eat more than a couple of times a week. We already eat mostly organic produce, and organic, pastured eggs and dairy. But there is no way our organic dairy budget will cover the new organic meat expenses! We are already on a tight budget with very little wiggle-room, so any creative ideas anyone has for doing Whole30 on a lean budget would also be helpful!

It also felt wrong to embark on a big family food transition over the holidays, and January 1st is a good time for new beginnings! Additionally, the girls don't go back to school until January 6th, so we can do the first several days together at home before we have to deal with packing lunches every day and curious friends. Our youngest daughter turns 9 on January 31st, so we will have an additional reason to celebrate after 30 days of Whole30, and really gives her something both exciting and "normal" (read: comforting) to look forward to at the end of our great food adventure! 

Archived