Sauerkraut?

Smstevens70

Starting tomorrow and planned to serve sauerkraut with our New Year's pork roast/vegetables. I just saw from looking around that making your own or getting the fermented from the refrigerated section of a health food store is best (and I'll have to try that in the future) but is the store canned brand Whole 30 compliant? It's cabbage, water, salt, and lactic acid. Thanks!

• Administrators

Sorry, no, the lactic acid is a dairy product so it's out for your Whole30. As an aside, sauerkraut that is notin the refrigerated section or made by you does not have the probiotics that one often wants when eating fermented foods.

• Administrators

Woopsie, Smstevens! It's just been pointed out to me that lactic acid is in fact fine for your Whole30. It is the byproduct of the fermentation of vegetables. I was thinking of when people use whey to start fermentation and I gave you the wrong answer.

The comment regarding the lack of probiotics in the canned was correct, the refrig is much better for you.....but yes, you can have the canned one.

So sorry for my incorrect answer, I hope I didn't mess you up too badly!

Archived