NocturnalNurse's first whole 30!

NocturnalNurse

I just started my first whole 30 with this meal!

I'll definitely need some support. As my title suggests, I'm a nurse working night shift (hence why I'm awake now, not celebrating New Years!) and my timing of meals is hard. If I'm busy I frequently won't have time to eat and will either grab something super quick like a candy bar or sandwich, or I just won't eat and will binge when I get home. Also it's pretty amazing the unhealthy food people bring to give to hospital staff.

My primary goal is to have a balanced relationship with food. I want to eat balanced meals and build a foundation for my eating habits. I also am frequently nauseous, so hopefully I'll find the culprit causing nausea.

My first meal, at 2am:

-Shredded chicken cooked in the crock pot with salsa (organic, no off plan ingredients, I quadruple checked)-1 palm sized serving

-Veggies (carrots and broccoli) drizzled with olive oil--covered entire plate

I'll be honest, I'm completely starving after this meal. It's a good thing I didn't bring any extra food because I'd probably be eating more. I'll have to really keep track the next 30 days and see how I'm feeling after each meal and make changes appropriately.

Hi. I'm a nurse too. I'm pregnant...that's why I'm awake!

The best tips I found was to bring extra food so I would have a few choices during my shift. Then if there were plates of crap food EVERYWHERE!!! Grrr. I could pick what I wanted from my compliment foods in my bag for my meal. I also drink lots of warm tea as a treat.

Good luck to you!!!!!

Your going to feel amazing in a week or so!

• Whole30 Certified Coach

Maybe add some starch to that meal?  Small sweet potato or some kobucha squash <-- fav food EVER :)

I always felt like oil never added satiety - just calories.  I like to *appreciate* my fat.  I use coconut milk a lot (full fat - Aroy D is compliant - it thickens in the fridge so its like eating coconut whipped cream), guacamole, home made mayo, fatty meats, etc.  For some reason my brain needs mouthfeel and taste and visual reminders it is getting fat :)  My favorite side dish is a big bowl of baked kobucha squash mixed with ginger to make a mash with coconut milk on top.  I eat it cold and I think its delicious.  

Good luck navigating the break room - hopefully things will calm down (until Valentine's Day...) now that the holidays are over!  

Welcome! I saw your username and thought you might enjoy this article by Whole30 supporter Michele Tam. She worked as a night shift pharmacist for over a decade. Here is her article about how she made it work for her. Enjoy and happy Whole30ing! http://nomnompaleo.com/post/55156756199/surviving-the-night-shift

Love that article! Just read that she's no longer on night shift; I'm impressed she made it 15 years. I'm going on my second year and I'm 4th on the list to go to days. It'll probably be another year or so. 

Hi. I'm a nurse too. I'm pregnant...that's why I'm awake!

The best tips I found was to bring extra food so I would have a few choices during my shift. Then if there were plates of crap food EVERYWHERE!!! Grrr. I could pick what I wanted from my compliment foods in my bag for my meal. I also drink lots of warm tea as a treat.

Good luck to you!!!!!

Your going to feel amazing in a week or so!

Thanks! Glad to know there are more nurses here. I'm concerned if I bring extra food I'll end up eating it all, but it's extremely hard to not eat everything in the break room or just a taste.

Maybe add some starch to that meal?  Small sweet potato or some kobucha squash <-- fav food EVER :)

I always felt like oil never added satiety - just calories.  I like to *appreciate* my fat.  I use coconut milk a lot (full fat - Aroy D is compliant - it thickens in the fridge so its like eating coconut whipped cream), guacamole, home made mayo, fatty meats, etc.  For some reason my brain needs mouthfeel and taste and visual reminders it is getting fat :)  My favorite side dish is a big bowl of baked kobucha squash mixed with ginger to make a mash with coconut milk on top.  I eat it cold and I think its delicious.  

Good luck navigating the break room - hopefully things will calm down (until Valentine's Day...) now that the holidays are over!  

I added guacamole last night to my ground turkey--it was absolutely delicious!! I'm going to try your squash recipe :) I had half a sweet potato with dinner (I'll post my meals next) and it was fantastic. 

January 1, Day 0 meals (I'll elaborate in a second):

1) at 2am: Crock pot shredded chicken with salsa

Mixed veggies

1 cup of tea from work....found out it has aspartame, so yesterday doesn't count. 

2) at 8am: 3 eggs scrambled 

Sauteed kale

...I really wasn't hungry. It's strange, sometimes I'm starving when I get home from work and other times I just want sleep. Yesterday was a just-want-sleep day and I couldn't imagine stomaching any more food. I was seriously nauseous. I then slept until 2ish, had a small serving of leftover crockpot chicken (maybe 1/2 palm sized) and went running. After my run I had another small serving of chicken.

3) at 7pm: Ground turkey (2 palm sizes)

Broccoli and cauliflower (covered rest of plate)

2 tsp (scoops really, I didn't measure) of guacamole mixed in the ground turkey

1/2 sweet potato (couldn't eat the whole thing!)

1/2/15, actual Day 1:

1) 8am: 3 eggs scrambled with sauteed kale (I have a huge bag of kale, I have to eat it all)

2) 2pm: Leftover ground turkey with guacamole and steamed carrots

3) Sometime tonight I'll have salmon cooked with lemons, asparagus, and probably squash (I'll edit the post when I know what I really ate!)

• 1 month later...

late to the party....but another night nurse checking in here.  How was your month?  did you do the entire month?  I started 2/2 and work 12 hr shifts, rotating.  I prefer nights but suppose I could get used to days and living like a normal human being.

Archived