Calorie intake during pregnancy

I have successfully completed one entire Whole30 in March. I did 2 weeks in June and 3 in September. I needed fertility interventions to get pregnant with my first two children, but my body "corrected" itself (Or Whole30 did, rather!) and I was surprised to find out in November that I am pregnant with my third. 

I rationally know there is NOTHING healthier than Whole30 eating, but the nay-sayers are getting to me. I am almost 13 weeks. I have been tracking my calories so that I can keep an eye on my protein intake - keeping it under the 20% number. But I am finding that I am eating to fullness (and if I eat too much in a meal, I become HORRIBLY nauseated about an hour after eating) but still only hitting about 1,000 calories consumed during the day.  Is there a safe way to continue to do Whole30 but make sure that my body is getting enough calories to support me and growing a human??  I have already lost 2 lbs and I am only on day 3. 

I can't tell you how many sidelong glances I've gotten when I've said I'm doing a Whole30 now. "Are you SURE?" "Is that HEALTHY?"   I think I am just starting to question it and am looking for a little reassurance that this is in fact OK for me to do.  I plan to discuss it with my OB this week at my appointment, but wanted to see if there are any ideas of pumping up my calorie intake between now and then... 

Thanks! 

whole30 is one of the healthiest ways you can eat to support your pregnancy, don't doubt that. Much of the weight lost at the beginning of the program is inflammation--your body sheds inflammation (water weight) when you stop consuming inflammatory foods. this is a good thing.

That said, 1000 calories per day is probably too little. I would consider adding more good fats to your meals (lots of calories without a lot of bulk) and, if you can stomach it, a fourth meal composed just like the other three.

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

Guest Andria

Is there reason you are trying to keep your protein intake under 20%?  Whole30 is designed so that we can relearn our hunger cues and not rely on some calculator to tell us what we should be eating.  You should be aiming to eat 1-2 palms of protein per meal; 2-3 cups of veggies (include starchy carbs for more energy during your pregnancy, 1-2 thumbs of oil or 1/2 - 1 avocado (just for example).

1000 calories is scary low, especially being pregnant.  We don't like to discuss calories - again, because we want you to rely on natural hunger cues and the meal template - but I would say I eat almost double that and I am a small woman.  I definitely agree with missmary's suggestion to add in a 4th meal since you said you are feeling very full at your current meals.  Good luck!

Is there reason you are trying to keep your protein intake under 20%? 

Too much protein can be an issue for pregnancy and fetal health (something about the liver's ability to excrete nitrogen?). This is one reason women often have aversions to protein during pregnancy, so in this case I support the OP's decision to monitor protein intake. I believe the recommendation is no more than 100g of protein per day for the average woman (not 100g of meat mind you, but just the protein portion of the meat serving). One "palm-size" portion of meat at each meal isn't likely to exceed 100g of protein, but two "palm-size" portions might. During pregnancy it would be better to bulk up on fat for satiety than exceed recommended protein amounts.

I was told you're supposed to increase protein during pregnancy?? But maybe that's just in the second and third trimester?

yeah, I think this depends entirely on how much protein you were consuming before you got pregnant. For some people, 100 grams is a LOT and hard to achieve, for others they need to watch to keep under that number.

Is there reason you are trying to keep your protein intake under 20%?  Whole30 is designed so that we can relearn our hunger cues and not rely on some calculator to tell us what we should be eating.  You should be aiming to eat 1-2 palms of protein per meal; 2-3 cups of veggies (include starchy carbs for more energy during your pregnancy, 1-2 thumbs of oil or 1/2 - 1 avocado (just for example).

The 20% number actually came from It Starts with Food. 

I do follow the template pretty religiously, but I find that the bigger the meal, the more sick I feel afterwards. So there is only so much I can handle at one time, which is also a limiting factor :/ 

Thanks for all of the input. I added some things today and was able to get to 1500. Tomorrow I will try to add some almond butter to a meal to bulk up too. 

Archived