Working Out Question During Whole30

sabmac

I think that I completely bypassed the empowering stage on day 1 and went straight into the "hangover and kill all the things" stage together.  I work out usually 5-6 days a week for 45 min - 1 hr.  This morning I went and had absolutely NO energy.  I am only on day 2 of the challenge, any tips of tricks to help with energy in the first week of this "hangover and kill all the things stage" so I can continue my routine?  Thanks in advance!!!

Are you eating your pre and post workout snacks? Those are very necessary to optimize performance during workouts. With that being said, you are currently challenging your body with a whole new way to fuel itself and your performance may not be the best right now. I know with my first whole 30, I backed off my normal running routine and did about half of what I normally did during the first 10 days. I was tired and I knew that I needed some time to get my body adjusted to a new way of fueling it. I believe it that backing off a bit is suggested in the Timeline. A few days off while not feeling your best is not so bad, especially since you will be feeling pretty darn good soon. Be Kind to yourself and let your body adjust to all the changes. I am on my 2nd whole 30 and had been eating pretty compliant prior, so I have kept my workouts the same and make sure I get my pre and post WO snacks in. So far I haven't had a slump day, but I am sure I will have at least one before my tiger blood is back 100%

My biggest advice... enjoy a little time off and sleep a little more, in the end it will pay off big time. 

You are welcome! Just want to share because I remember thinking to myself... how am I ever going to make it to run? Because right now I want to rip someone's face off than nap.... it is an interesting process, the whole 30, the way your body adjusts  and some of the "tricks" that your mind plays on you... But keep up the good work, it does pay off in the end!!!!

Great suggestions to be sure to eat your pre and post workout meals.  Are you eating starchy carbs?  Limiting them too much can certainly impact your energy levels.  

Also, how is your sleep and are you hydrating (at least 1/2 your bodyweight in ounces per day) appropriately?

If you need more help, you can post a few days worth of meals and we can try to offer more suggestions.

Moving this topic over to the Whole30 Athlete section

Also go easy on yourself for a while. It is absolutely normal to see a decrease in athletic output for the first couple of weeks of a Whole30 especially if this is drastically different than how you ate before. When I first made the paleo switch I felt like I had lead legs and lost 1-2 minutes per mile in training runs, but after the first two weeks my performance sky rocketed forward and I made up for the lost output. My Whole30 wasn't so bad because I was already eating pretty close to it. Give yourself some grace, follow the template for pre/post workout meals and regular meals, and hang in there for 30 days.

Archived