Kitchen Gadgets/Supplies

cmac

I'm only on Day 4, but as I go along I'm realizing I should have been prepared with a lot more kitchen gadgets/supplies.  I'm wondering what else might come up that I haven't prepared for, so I thought I'd check with y'all to see if there's something that helps you prepare/plan for the week that you couldn't do without.  Here are the things I've gotten so far:

1) Julienne peeler

2) Immersion blender with food processor/chopper attachment

3) Small mason jars (for my homemade condiments and ghee)

4) Better knives (holy cow, raw sweet potatoes are HARD - and so is spaghetti squash!)

5) More containers for leftovers, prepped fruits/veggies, and pre-made meals

6) A gazillion ziploc baggies (see #5)

7) Containers for lunches that are stackable and individual serving-sized (called LunchBlox by Rubbermaid - I highly recommend them if you don't like your food touching before you get ready to eat it!)

8) A Rubbermaid lunchbox that was made for the LunchBlox - they just fit better, and I need lots of room since I'm taking two meals/day with me.

9) A water bottle with a little basket inside for fruits/veggies to flavor your water but strain out seeds/pieces - don't know what it's called, but I found it at Wal-Mart for $5 and my grapefruit water is divine this morning!

So, what else might be helpful in the coming weeks?

Cmac,

How far in advance do you plan to cook? I'm guessing you don't like to cook? I do. I cook every day when time and energy (a story for another time) permits which usually feeds me at least one meal for the next day as well, sometimes more. So I don't need that many containers. I actually got rid of dozens of containers taking up space and not being used. Plus my fridge only holds so much, and it's pretty big. I like fresh veggies so they take up a lot of space. Anyway. An immersion blender with what? Never heard of it. Of course I have a food processor and a blender so maybe that' why I never heard of the newfangled gadgets.

I have, however, thought of buying the Julienne peeler though I'm wondering if I have something already that will do the job. I got rid of my immersion blender, but now I wonder why. Maybe I'll buy a newer, better one.

My point with all this is don't over think it. I tried another meal plan that was a joke, but I tried the cooking a week-in-advance thing. For me, anyway, it was hard because I don't always feel like eating what was prepared for that day. so then it ends up going bad. I like looking in the freezer/fridge and saying, "What's for dinner tonight?" and making it.

Good luck!

Thanks Tom - I'll check out the other link. 

JosieJake - I don't mind cooking, it just takes up a lot of time that I don't have.  I like to prepare a few days in advance for breakfasts/lunches since I have to take those with me, and then I cook dinner every night.  The hubby and I split leftovers for the next day sometimes, so between planning ahead and splitting leftovers, we have a lot of containers!  I also like to go ahead and wash/prepare my fruits and veggies when I get them home so that when I'm ready for them it's quicker.  As for the immersion blender - it's so much easier to make homemade mayo and other condiments with this to me, and I can make them right in the jar I plan to store them in.  :) 

Definitely get your emersion blender!!!!!!!! I use it so much I think it is quickly taking over the role as my number one favorite kitchen gadget. Great for soups, gravy, homemade applesauce (which I could eat by the bucketful so avoiding on my whole30 but my 9month old eats a crockpot full a month). I am definitely getting my monies worth out of that tool!!!

Instead of spending on another knife try getting them sharpened professionally. Knives should be sharpened once a year for the home chef and it goes a long way to make prep easier. Check on Yelp for a place in your area.

I'd also suggest taking a knife skill course instead of dropping tons of money on single use gadgets. You will be amazed how much faster you can be once taught properly. And it can be a fun date night!

Going to get an immersion, and am looking for a good blender. Any suggestions? Looking at Ninja NJ600 and Vitamix 750. I like to make green smoothies with Kale sometimes and when I used my old blender (which I burned out making almond milk) it was always gritty.

Archived