Where to go from here?

CaitlinI

I'm on Day 15 of my second Whole30. I know very well that this is not a weight loss program, and I fully appreciate all of the other benefits, but I have to get something off my chest and I hope I can find some support. My first Whole30 was in October/November. I was 100% compliant and I didn't lose a single pound. I was disappointed, but I loved the experience and learned so much that by the end I didn't really care all that much. The thing is, I have a bit of weight to lose. Not much, about 5-7 pounds. So while I'm not trying any harder to lose weight this time, I am following the program as recommended much more carefully. I'm not eating many nuts or dried fruit, not snacking, and not eating dessert substitutes… all things that I did the first time. I am also exercising more frequently. So my problem is that I don't know how else I would go about losing this extra weight if I can't do it this way? I love this way of eating and living. I never want to go back to counting, weighing, measuring anything! I feel great this time around but I don't feel like I'm losing weight. Do I just have to accept that this is my healthy weight and any loss would require too much deprivation? I'd love some words of wisdom. 

• Moderators

You say you need to lose 5-7 pounds. Why do you think you need to lose it? Is it a matter of wanting to be toned up? Because if it's wanting to be toned up, the pounds aren't going to matter much at this point, it's going to have more to do with what you do to work out. 

Don't believe me? Check out this post about Deb, who weighs exactly the same amount in her before and after pictures, and this post from Skinny Meg who actually weighs more in her after picture. Let that sink in a minute -- especially the fact that Meg GAINED FIVE POUNDS for her after picture, but looks skinnier. GAINED. FIVE. POUNDS. 

That number on the scale tells you absolutely nothing. It doesn't tell you if you feel good, or look good in your favorite jeans, or are confident and self assured.

Throw away your scale. Heck, take it outside, lay it in the street, and run over it with the car a few times. Or smash it with a hammer. You'll feel better, really.

Congratulations for completing one Whole30 and already 15 days into your second Whole30!

Now, you know that 5-7 pounds is a really small amount of weight to 'need to lose', right?  How did you come to the determination that you need to lose this weight?  The reason I am asking/saying this is that the number we get in our head as our ideal weight is really arbitrary.  Our weight fluctuates based on water retention, bone and organ density, muscle mass and, of course, the dreaded fat mass.  Did you take measurements before and after your Whole30?  By focusing only on scale weight you lose the full picture.  What if you added muscle mass, bone density or became better hydrated and, at the same time, decreased your fat mass?   If this scenario occurred, you would have improved your body composition, while potentially staying the same scale weight.  

Our body wants to maintain a weight set point, and unless you are very overfat (>35% body fat) it will be difficult for you to move that scale weight.  I suspect with the desire to lose such a small amount of weight, you might be better served focusing on your body composition.  Take a look at this 2 part article:

http://everydaypaleo.com/attention-scale-addicts/

http://everydaypaleo.com/attention-scale-addicts-part-2/

Now if this does not resonate with you, the calorie equation(i don't mean forced restriction) does still matter.  It matters once you have everything else dialed in, though.  Your sleep needs to be ideal, your stress levels low, hormones balanced.  You mentioned that you are exercising more frequently.  What exercise are doing and how  many hours per day.  Too much of the wrong type of exercise will actually work against you.

Well, apparently I posted at the same time as Shannon and said essentially the same thing.  

Thanks for your reply. I don't care about the number on the scale, necessarily. I have gotten rid of my scale. I want to be leaner and fit into my clothes better. 

^ What you want is to change your body composition.  You need to ignore the scale when doing this.  Focus on strength training, low intensity exercise like walking and avoid long endurance cardio sessions.  If you are healthy (sleep good/stress low) you can add 1-2 sessions of HIIT per week.

Thanks Andria. Yes, I believe you are right about body composition. I arrived at the "5-7" based on how my clothes fit. But I truly don't care about the number. My exercise consists of hot power yoga 1-2 times a week and spin class (SoulCycle!) 1-2 times a week. I have a toddler so I don't have tons of free time outside the home, so I started conditioning in my basement for 30-minutes most mornings before everyone wakes up. I did not do that before so I'm hoping it makes a difference. I am thinking of trying cross fit. Oops, gotta run… said toddler is not letting me type! But I did want to reply. More later. 

Archived