My First Post...and Day 3

aorlflood

I started my W30 on Thursday...this is Saturday.  Who knew that this sweet addict would be able to drink coffee without sweetener???  Never in my lifetime would I have thought I could!

Lots of cooking the last couple of days....possibly more than I've done in the last 10 years???  That's a stretch, but not that much of a stretch!  

I'm a 54 y/o empty-nester, married for 32 years, mother of 2, grandmother of 4, RN for 31 years, with LOTS and LOTS of health issues.  Hence, the W30!  

I'm 4' 11.5" with a BMI of 38.4, high blood pressure, 2 "insufficient" heart valves (they don't close completely), arthritis in all levels of spine with multiple disc herniations and mild/moderate spinal stenosis, severe arthritis of right knee, GERD, recurrent left hip tendonitis/bursitis, and chronic constipation.

And, yes...with all of that going on, I still work 12-hour shifts.  My back issues are being handled very well by a chiropractor...the other issues are being handled with meds at this point...but I'm hoping to change my health significantly with this way of eating and getting rid of the inflammation within!

Went to bed last night with a lot of neck pain and a headache, but since I thought it was prob. caused by detoxing and not my normal neck issues, I didn't take anything for them.  I was RIGHT!  This morning I woke up feeling GREAT.  

From the very beginning of this journey, I have felt more "clear" and energetic, and each day is a little easier.  

The first two evenings, I had "cravings" for something to eat in the evening.  The first night I gave in and had a pear...but immediately had gastric distress from it.  Last night I decided that I didn't want a repeat of that and just pushed through the craving without eating anything.

I have one question...something I read somewhere but can't find now...I notice that many people add in a "snack"...but is this an afternoon snack or an after-dinner snack?  How late is too late to have a snack (with the hormones and all).  I don't want to disrupt my body's hormones anymore, so really need to know this...

If you've made it through this whole post...thanks for sticking with me!  :)

Loretta

The ideal is to have 3 complete meals with no snacking in between. (The exception is the pre-workout and post-workout snacks if your workouts are intense or long.) Your last meal should be at least two hours before you sleep if you can help it. Being hungry between meals is a signal that you need to adjust your meals -- possibly by adding protein, fat, or starchy veggies.

If you absolutely need to snack, try to make it a mini-meal with protein, fat, and veggies rather than fruit. Here's the meal template to guide you.

Good luck! I hope a successful Whole30 helps you deal with your health problems and make you feel awesome!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm doing well!  The whole "tiger blood" hit me on day 16, but today is day 17 and it seems to have vanished and I just can't seem to get "into the mood" or find the energy to do the things I need to do today.   :wacko:   LOL  Still eating "clean".  

Yesterday, I did go sign up with the local fitness center and plan on starting some low impact exercise classes and yoga classes next week.

Thanks for checking up on me!   :)

Archived