Frustrated

Our family is in the reintro phase after a month.  I made it through with with very few "hiccups". But here's the problem, while some of my issues went away I have been hit with new ones, namely a rash on my shins and gastric rhinitis (my nose now runs whenever I eat, no matter what I eat). I was at one point having a lot of stomach issues mid whole30 and introduced digestive enzymes with probiotics, which calmed down my stomach but did not completely cure it.  ugh, i'm thinking this means something approved is one of my trigger foods. 

• Administrators

Hi Chuckles!  Since you say you are in reintro phase I wonder if a food that you reintroduced which you did not notice immediate symptoms of actually took a bit longer to show up as a reaction?  For example, if you reintroduced dairy and felt fine afterward, so believed it to be fine and continued to add it to your coffee and have sour cream on your chili or cheese over your veggies, it could have taken this long for it to have created a reaction.

• Administrators

Hi Kate,

I read back over some of your posts throughout your Whole30 and I daresay that you seemed to have a few adjustment issues along the way. Its quite possible that your gut and body are not aware of our 30 day timeline and are taking their own time in retooling to the new protocol.

If you think that something approved is giving you problems, try to narrow it down by keeping a food journal. I suspect that the leg rash is something that is going to self clear...and it's possible that with reduced inflammation in your body that your rhinitis is a symptom of that readjustment.

I'm not a doctor but I think just keep on keeping on and try to pinpoint what is causing you the distress. For myself, if I get "dairyed" I get eczema on my shins that takes 14+ days to go away with perfect Whole30 eating....up to 23 days the last time. It took me a long time to figure that out...because I assumed that yes, dairy caused my eczema, but why was I still getting itchier and itchier as the non-dairy time went by. Healing takes time and is not linear.

Please keep us posted on how you go!

Thanks lady Shanny. I kind of wish I could keep on and wondered if I should, but we are travelling to see family next Saturday for a 9 day trip, my big loud italian in laws. So I am trying to patiently get through reintros before then in case I have any other major flares.  I cannot and will not go into this trip on Whole30, they already don't like me, let's not add fuel to the fire there.  I'm hoping to jump back on it when we get home.  I'm very suspicious of coconut, as that is what seemed to set off some of my stomach issues.  I'm also worried about my increase consumption in eggs.

The dairy thing...I'm pretty sure the rash showed up before the one possible time I might have been dairied. We included not eating out as part of our whole30 because its a weakness for us, so we only went out one time on day 21.

I did keep a food journal, not great at the beginning but good at the end.  I can't pinpoint when this rash started because I thought it was dry skin at first and gave it little notice until it just didn't go away.  

A lot of this is just me thinking outloud....

• Administrators

Dry itchy skin that you scratch can turn into dermatitis which can last a lot longer than whatever caused it. Ask me how I know. ;)

If this was me, here's how I would manage that rash. (again, not a doctor, just what works for me). Put hydrocortizone on your rash for a couple days. Once the accute itch goes away, moisturize every day whether you need it or not. If your skin itches anywhere that you have had a dermatitis, Do Not Scratch. Pat or rub but no scratching.

I hope you have an awesome trip....and when you get back I hope you Whole30 for long enough to figure out what is ailing you!

I struggled with eczema my entire life until I stopped eating wheat 14 yrs ago.

Since then, I've only had the occasional mild break-out during times of high stress, or as a reaction to silver jewellery or scented soap.

I prefer to avoid pharmaceuticals and prefer to use more natural remedies.

When I get a dry itchy patch, I immediately apply Stop Itch creme made by derma-e:

http://dermae.com/product/280/Stop-Itch®-Crème.html

If the dry itchy patch persists more than a day or two, I clear it up using Florasone Eczema Cream:

http://www.drugstore.com/boericke-and-tafel-florasone-maximum-strength-cardiospermum-cream/qxp30626

Please note: I am not affiliated with either of these products in any way other than I have personally used these products and find them to be very effective for their stated purpose.

Archived