when to workout...?

victoriad13

So I am not an athlete by any stretch of the imagination. But My biggest thing is.. when is it the best time to work out? I have a gym right at my complex but in the mornings it is PACKED. And then when I get home from work at 6 pm is PACKED. So I make dinner and do a home workout. BUT I really want to get my butt in the gym. Is it bad to workout about an hour or two after eating dinner? And if I do that, should I eat something AFTER I should out? And what should I eat? Any ideas would be so appreciated!! thank you!

Victoria -  I think that would be just fine.   I knew a fella who didn't start working out until about 8 or 9 in the evenings.   He lifted weights and ran around.   He was in tip top condition.   The evenings will be fine....you might be more awake at bedtime.   Are you a night owl?  He had enough energy to run around and really run around with every chick in town.  :D 

Hahaha! That's hilarious! I am not a night owl but I use a lot of lavender to help me sleep so I'm hoping that will help do the trick. I'm actually a morning person but where I live is mostly Under Armor employees and they are all so fit and I don't like going to the gym when there is so many people there because 1. I don't know what i'm doing and 2. Im terrible at doing it haha 

Well, don't you feel one bit intimidated!   Find activities that you like to do and do them on your terms.  All movement counts.  Dance around your house or on the job when no one is watching.  Go for walks and hikes when you have a day off.

I know we live in the day of extreme sports.  Somehow a person who goes for a walk or takes a hike feels the need to put the word "just" in front of their accomplishment.   But let me tell you, if you get dressed for that gym and do anything at some speed above completely still...that's movement.   One day you'll be so chill, you won't care who's over there.   :rolleyes: 

Well thank you for that little push! I'm an avid cyclist but I live in Baltimore and its SOOO cold now so that won't work! I'm itching for the spring! And i'm a teacher so my kids keep me pretty active which is great, plus I walk to work which is an added bonus giving me 40 minutes of walking each day. Thank you for your help! 

You will find differing opinions on what time of day is best for "working out."  Ultimately, the best time to work out is the time that will allow you to do it consistently!

An evening workout, depending on the intensity, could make it difficult for you to fall asleep. I say try it out and see how it goes. As far as needing a post workout meal, that would depend on the intensity and duration of your workout.  

I run or lift first thing in the morning.  (after 2-3 cups of coffee)  In the summer I am out at 5:30am right when the sun comes up.  What a great feeling running through my little town knowing everyone else is still sound asleep while I am cruising down the streets.  (cruising for me is a 10 minute mile...downhill) Zero traffic is a plus to.

Morning workout = awesome rest of the day.

You will find differing opinions on what time of day is best for "working out."  Ultimately, the best time to work out is the time that will allow you to do it consistently!

Same goes with what is the "best" exercise. It's the one you'll do consistenly.

Archived