St. Pattys Day- Corned Beef and Cabbage

EMoller825

I found this awesome recipe from Americas Test Kitchen for home corned beef and it is AMAZING. I have made it a few times and I can't ever get enough. I thought I would share since I doubt there is a compliant corned beef out there, or if there is, probably not easy to get. So if you're feeling adventurous, and want a good corned beef, give this a try!

• CORNED BEEF
  • 1/2cup kosher salt
  • 1tablespoon cracked black peppercorns
  • 1tablespoon dried thyme
  • 2 1/4teaspoons ground allspice
  • 1 1/2teaspoons paprika
  • 2bay leaves, crumbled
  • 1(4- to 5-pound) beef brisket, flat cut, trimmed
  •  

INSTRUCTIONS

1. FOR THE CORNED BEEF: Combine salt, peppercorns, thyme, allspice, paprika, and bay leaves in bowl.

2. Using metal skewer, poke about 30 holes on eachside of brisket. Rub each side evenly with salt mixture. Place brisket in 2-gallon zipper-lock bag, forcing out as much air as possible. Place in 13 by 9-inch baking dish, cover with second, similar-size pan, and weight with 2 bricks or heavy cans of similar weight. Refrigerate 5 to 7 days, turning once a day.

3. Rinse brisket and pat it dry. Place brisket in Dutch oven and cover brisket with water by 1 inch. Bring to boil over high heat, skimming any scum that rises to surface. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until skewer inserted in thickest part of brisket slides in and out with ease, 2 to 3 hours.

4. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 200 degrees. Transfer meat to large platter, ladle 1 cup cooking liquid over meat, cover with aluminum foil and place in oven to keep warm.

Archived