Need fast, easy lunch ideas for a restaurant worker.

I recently resigned from my office desk job to go back to school! I started working as a server at a restaurant to make ends meet and have more flexibility with my schedule to allow for more school work. So far, I actually love my new job and realize how much I missed serving tables. However, I'm running into a big issue: LUNCH!

I need ideas for quick, easy paleo lunches with optimal nutrition to sustain me until I can at least eat after work at 3ish. I've tried eating a larger breakfast and that seems to help, but the hunger pangs hit in the middle of our lunch rush.

Ordering from the restaurant could be a possibility, but the food is good, old fashioned southern food (God bless the South). It's a locally owned place that prides itself on sourcing from local vendors, but everything is cooked in full-fat butter or bacon grease and possibly canola or soy. I'm fairly certain I'd piss off a chef if I constantly asked, "Is this paleo??" Hahaha.

Help! I love this new job, and I know when my notice runs up at my old job, I'll have less stress which will be amazing, but I need to eat healthy, too!

Can you bring food to work, store in a refrigerator and reheat in a microwave? If so, the possibilities are endless: leftovers or any protein, veg, and compliant fat combo you can create.

Besides that, my favorite quick meals are salmon, tuna, chicken or egg salad made with celery and homemade mayo, with a sweet potato on the side. Also, sardines in olive oil with sauerkraut.

You could probably lean on work for raw veggies/salad fixins which means your main worries would be protein and fat. Do they serve baked potatoes? If so, how are they cooked? If they're baked plain then you could use that as well and make yourself a stuffed baked potato with leftovers from home.

It's possible that you could talk to the chef about special orders for you. Maybe they'd be open to letting you bring in a container of coconut oil or other compliant fat that they can keep in the kitchen and use it to fire off a steak, chicken breast, fish, or other protein? Most chefs seem open to the challenge of cooking for people with special needs as long as you're not an asshole about the request. Something like "Hey, I have some issues with soy and vegetable oils. Could I bring you something that's easier on my stomach so that I can eat here?"

Archived