How many day 1's should a girl have?

mariegray

Hi all. My name is Marie. I'm 36.

I've been eating low carb for a little over a year and a half now with great success, but I got bored, added foods back too fast, and blah blah blabitty blah, here I am.

I've always been interested in raising/growing my own food and locally sourcing foods as well. This seemed like the logical next step.

I purchased ISWF on Sunday and read it cover to cover by Monday evening....I'd been dabbling in Whole30 principles before hand.

So, in direct connection to my topic....I keep waiting to call Day 1 that day when I eat perfectly all day long, or just add more days to the end of my 30. Today I'm having a really good day!

2 poached eggs on top of two baby summer squash/zucchini cooked in coconut oil

couple of tbsp of hazelnuts

2 dates

45 minute hilly walk

1/2 of a patty pan or scallop summer squash stuffed with 1/2 cup groudn beef seasoned, with tomato paste

1 small piece of a grilled sweet potato, might have equaled 1/4 cup

dont' have a supper plan yet, but I'm so happy that I have avoided salt water taffy, quick breads and cider donuts today.

I really think this is my day 1.

Looking fwd to getting to know some of you. I have a "log" over at Mark's Daily APple too.

Marie in Vermont

Marie... Pick a day and start. Don't vassilate. If you are doing the program, do the program. If you are not, don't.

Sounds harsh but from the sounds of your post, you know this stuff and you got it. Pick a date and do the program...

Allowing a sliding start date is like allowing a cheat meal or a "do over". You got this!!!

Cheers

DJ

I have a question too....I should have included it in my post.

I find myself hungry between meals, like REALLY hungry, and yes, my hunger passes the steamed broccoli test, I'd eat it....for sure, and the fork too!

Will this subside when I have gotten deeper into the 30 days and I"m burning all fat for energy..??? Should I feed my hungry stomach between meals or just tough it out.

I'm also drinking plenty of water so I know it's not that.

(It's 2:30 pm and I've had an 8 oz cup of tea, 2 20 oz cups and 1 12 oz bottle of water so far.

Thanks.

Hi Marie,

I'm not sure what the "right" answer to your question is but I can tell you that when I am really hungry, pass the test hungry, I eat. I have learned, for the most part, to eat actual meals when I'm hungry, not just a snack. Even if i make a meal and eat half of it, it's better than having a piece of fruit or something like that. At least for me. And there have been days where I've eaten LOTS of food, but it must have been what my body needed, because it never seems to last more than a couple of days. I'm on day 19 after about 3 weeks of semi-compliance before and during a family vacation.

So for what it's worth, in my experience, I eat good things when I'm hungry. If it persists for a few days, uncontrollable hunger all the time, then you might need to reevaluate the foods you are eating.

DJ, I don't know who you are, but your comment resonated with me.......I was TOUGH today....I came home, disappointed by a conversation I had with my son, and I went RIGHT for the chocolate chip cookies.....then I decided to work on finishing the bacon in the fridge. Still not sure what dinner is going to be tonight...but it's going to involve crab, zucchini and sweet potato, I think....maybe crab cakes and zucchini sweet potato latkes...

Anyway, thanks.

MG

I have a question too....I should have included it in my post.

I find myself hungry between meals, like REALLY hungry, and yes, my hunger passes the steamed broccoli test, I'd eat it....for sure, and the fork too!

Will this subside when I have gotten deeper into the 30 days and I"m burning all fat for energy..??? Should I feed my hungry stomach between meals or just tough it out.

I'm also drinking plenty of water so I know it's not that.

(It's 2:30 pm and I've had an 8 oz cup of tea, 2 20 oz cups and 1 12 oz bottle of water so far.

Thanks.

Are you eating enough healthy fats? I find that I feel most satiated when I get enough good fats, as opposed to volume of food.

Maybe instead of choosing a day one, choose health! Choose to stay compliant vs. choosing to allow yourself the option of starting over! I think they even promote using the W30 as the 'bad guy' excuse to staying compliant. Just tell yourself - NO, I'm on W30, and that (insert evil food choice) is simply not allowed.

I feel for you. In my experience, when every 'Day 1' fails, it's because I haven't reached enough of a personal low point to really decide to make the change. I can faff about for months half-heartedly trying to start something and fail each time.

I think you need to KNOW unequivocally that this IS what you want to do. Do whatever it takes, look at yourself naked, write a list of motivations, get really honest with what's going on with you and why you want to change things.

Good luck, especially with getting the wheat out of your system! :)

Marie

I hope you don't mind if I correct you (with a little tough love). You are not getting carried away with perfectionism... You are getting away with the giving yourself the ability to cheat and ruin your "day 1". Eating is a choice. They are tough choices in the start of the program, but a choice none the less. If you are doing the program, there are no cheats so don't allow this option to occur.

Plan your "Day 1" ahead of time.

• What are you going to eat and when?
  • How are you going to address stresses (without cheating <- not an option)?
  • What will the end of day 1 feel like for you?

You are cheating because you give yourself that option. You can be better than that!!! Plan well, follow your plan and keep focused. Then just repeat this process 30 (or 45, or 60) times.

This process is pretty simple... but not easy. Quite frankly, I don't want this to be easy. If it is too easy, I feel we can let it slide another couple of months or years and I can fix it later. Also, if it is too easy, I will not respect it.

If it was easy, everyone would have 6-pack abs and be eating cheeseburgers. As Derval says... "Just Do It!"

Cheers

DJ

Thanks Lola.

I think I'm getting carried away with perfectionism....

I really do.

I think I'll feel better when I get the sugar and wheat out of my system, right now I feel like an achey, stuffy, sniveling little baby..*L*

Marie

Ah, you're welcome Marie, and nobody is trying to pick on you here. We are all just REALLY, REALLY rooting for you! My concern for you is this - if getting through the first day is presenting this much of a problem for you, then what about when things start to get worse before they get better. I hit a rough patch and thought the world was caving in on me. Luckily I wanted this more than I wanted to fail, so I persevered, rode it out and some how came out smelling like roses. Okay, they might have been wilty roses, but the point is that I pulled through.

Start a log here, so we can all tag along on your journey. Order the W30 Daily here(totally worth evey penny!). Plan your meals using the meal map, with the right amount of protein, veggies, and especially the fat. Utilize the shopping guide to stock your pantry/fridge. Then put your plan into motion... and I bet you'll knock it right out of the park!

I'm doing okay Marie, felt a bit wobbly after going to a Thai restaurant for dinner but actually in any other regime I'd have felt bloody pleased with myself! No rice, no alcohol, no pudding, bread, noodles, etc. Just ate a spoonful of soup which I found out later contained "a small amount" of palm sugar but that set me off worrying that I'd jinxed everything. Crazy really.

Marie - Just checking in to see how it's going! I started Day 1 on Sept 1, would love to follow along with your journey if you want! Having people around to keep me on track has been nice so far, even if it's just random posts in this forum! Also, I know it was mentioned above but I HIGHLY recommend the W30 Daily emails. There's just something about clicking that "I did it!" link at the end of the day...it's silly but it's an awesome feeling!

Good luck!!

Hi Marie,

I'm on Day 8 - I had been putting off starting - I was looking at the calendar trying to find 30 days that would work best, when I didn't have any social engagements and whatnot. In the end I decided that there was no perfect time and so just dove in. I recommend you dive in as well (if you haven't already), no more of this testing the water.

Homer (Vermonter living in NYC)

AHH I see the problem here....

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm betting th that someplace in your head there's this evil little devilish voice that's saying undermining things like 'ahhh you can eat that..... you'll just start over again tomorrow'

OK then here's my answer you only get 12 "Day 1's" per year.

Since your struguling to keep on track and you keep restarting every few days or weeks than make a mental shift and decide that your going to do the Whole30 in a Month. That's it, for you there's no more restarting on tuesday or the 5th or whatever. You only start your Whole30 on the 1st of the month, and only on the 1st of the month. That will give you the mental leverage to say 'well I really want to eat ..... right now but if I break stride here I've got to wait weeks untill I can try again'

You wouldn't be here if you weren't committed to doing the Whole30. So now the question becomes how long is it going to take you to complete your first Whole30?

Look it ain't easy I'm on day 2/3 and my head keeps screaming at me 'I WANT A MOTHER F@#$ing MUFFIN'

I couldn't tell you the last time I ate a muffin, it's had have been months. I do have a major leauge sweet tooth but it's generally quelled with things much sweeter than muffins.

Heck last week I was craving Moutain Dew,(havn't drank one in over a year) I hadn't even started the Whole 30 and my head was sending out cravings to try to trip me up. (The good news is that no one go hurt, thanks to the soda machine at work)

Look the bottom line is that The Whole30 is as much a head game as it is anything else if you google up stuff like, the Hot/Cold empithy gap, 'The lizard brain' or as Seth Godin calls it "The resistance" you may find some insight. Or if your a really big reader there's a book called Willpower that is all about this type of thing, the scary part is that it explains how studies have shown that you have more willpower when you feed your brain sugar. Can you say 'Catch 22' ? LOL

As for me when I'm done I'm printing up 'I surviuved the Whole30' bumper stickers and slaping them on all sorts of stuff. That's what keeps me going.

You can do it!

Don't be afraid to tell the evil voice in your head to shove off....

Archived