My Whole30 in Haikus

noelgreen

Started Whole30 yesterday with my wife... and I must say I was surprised. They say that the first day is often like, "So what's the big deal?" They liken it to a reality show where the end of the first day everyone thinks they'll be best friends and that it will be easy. Well, apparently I was the angry person in the corner smoldering on the couch. But wow... is it eye opening goodness! I can't go back now and look forward to food freedom!

So, rather than post a bunch of words every day on here or other places I'm going to do a daily haiku about my previous day's experiences.

I will share these on my Instagram daily and try to remember to jump over and post them here as well.

So, here's one about yesterday / Day 01.

i-8SPQnpL-M.jpg

I feel like I want to write more about this one — more about how my eyes have been opened and my wife and I are already planning changes in our permanent diets after the 30 days. I'd write more about how obvious it is that I wasn't eating nearly as good as I thought I was. I'd write about how it's clear that my body just works better with whole, natural foods and that my already non-existent sweet tooth (I have been blessed in that way) isn't missing sugar in the least. But... I won't say any of that and I'll just post the haiku.  ;)

i-Sn9rGDL-M.jpg

I'll also paste what I answered on Instagram when a friend asked, "Just wondering what made you arrive at a diet."

My answer was...

I am always evaluating my life. Also, I used to be around 320lbs so "diet" is always something I consider: what can I do better / hand over to God more completely / etc. So the Whole30 is a great way to find a "level" or baseline to start fresh from and build back up on. Apparently I had eaten a lot crappier than I thought because day 1 was not a happy place... but already I'm feeling better and want to take the good on into the future. All of this - as I know you'll agree - by God's grace and to His glory!

Day 09...

The Whole30 is such an amazing journey because you start by putting down a lot of "things" — foods, habits, and the like — but as you go you find that you're continually losing more and more "baggage". Ideas, routines, outlooks on food, and so much else. The great thing is that when I realize I've put yet another thing down I find that I have something better already in hand. 

i-sQXHtXr-M.jpg

Day 16...

i-V4vfnBc-M.jpg

A guy I knew paid me this compliment a few years back. He said he was always interested in finding out "what it was that I was going to do next". He pointed out all the things he knew I had done — like learn Egyptian #Arabic, lose weight (at one point in life I was 320 lbs), be #vegan for 4 years, stop being vegan (I stopped because it wasn't the way I am healthy and it was ruling me.)

He said that, "when I say I'm going to do something I end up actually doing it." It was probably one of, if not the, greatest compliment I ever got and, when I doubt myself, I often remind myself that others have seen it in me so, by grace, I can do it... whatever "it" is.

I love your haikus. What a succint and effective way to report on your progress.

I'm on Day 10 and also in Albuquerque. I had green chile stew for meal one this morning. :) It was my first time trying a non-traditional breakfast and it felt weird to eat that at 7 am, but it definitely wasn't terrible.

Take care.

I love your haikus. What a succint and effective way to report on your progress.

I'm on Day 10 and also in Albuquerque. I had green chile stew for meal one this morning. :) It was my first time trying a non-traditional breakfast and it felt weird to eat that at 7 am, but it definitely wasn't terrible.

Take care.

Thanks! I'm glad you like them... hope they're helping (everyone who sees them) in some way! :)

Yeah, the non-traditional breakfasts are fun. I haven't done anything completely "dinner-for-breakfast"... but, I've done it before the Whole30, so I'm sure I will. haha

Day 17...

The Whole30 timeline calls days 16-27 "Tiger Blood!" It says, and I quote, "... Tiger Blood means someone flipped a switch and turned on the awesome. Energy is through the roof, cravings are under control, clothes are fitting better, workouts are stronger." It goes on to give some other "variant" definitions of what it might be like for others as well... but I am so there.

My focus has sky rocketed. I've begun getting up early to exercise, read and meditate — something I haven't really done for 3 or 4 years. I'm planning more to do.

If you're thinking of doing the Whole30 then this phase is worth all that came before. If you're doing it already and in one of the earlier "crappier" stages... stick with it! Because "Tiger Blood" is coming!

i-mLkGzXz-M.jpg

Day 21...

i-cscdjg9-M.jpg

One of the things I "knew" before the Whole30 but that has been TOTALLY reinforced and shown as truth is that you should NOT weigh! Let yourself experience the freedom from the number as you're experiencing food freedom!

The encouragement you get from clothes fitting better, just down right feeling better and knowing you're healthier and eventually  compliments and comments from other peoples FAR out weigh — pun intended — getting on the scale and seeing some number that may vary any degree depending on 100 variables.

Scales remind me of the story of the grandfather who gave his granddaughter some bean seeds... he came by a few weeks later and asked how the beans were doing. The girl replied, "I dig 'em up and look at them every day but they just aren't growing."

Archived