My first Whole30

Burrito_Unicorn

Day One:

• hardboiled egg, 2 ground sausage patties, veggie "scramble" with mushrooms, onions and red pepper
  • Cracklin' chicken, roasted sweet potato, sauteed kale
  • hard-boiled egg, turkey epic bar, cashews and dried coconut

Day Two:

• Scrambled eggs with salsa and avocado
  • leftover Cracklin' chicken, roasted sweet potato, sauteed spinach
  • Beef burger, asparagus, roasted sweet potato, and raw spinach

Day Three:

• Sauteed kale and sausage, mango
  • hard-boiled egg (pre workout)
  • Sausage and sweet potatoes fried up and combined with leftover asparagus and spinach, topped with fried egg.
  • Yellow coconut curry with carrots, red and green peppers, onion, potato. Cashews

Day Four:

• Ate wayyyy too late. I will pay for it later. Anyways, my first meal was sausage-stuffed mushrooms and a hard-boiled egg.
  • Cracklin Chicken, sauteed kale, roasted butternut squash.

Day Five:

• 2 eggs fried in coconut oil, bacon, 1/4 avocado
  • Cracklin' chicken, sauteed kale, roasted butternut squash
  • Baked egg in avocado

So far, so good. Day two saw me deep in the throes of the hangover phase. I felt very lethargic and had a low-level headache all day. Day three brought a few real-world temptations that I smashed, so that felt good. Day four I screwed up and didn't eat until 2 in the afternoon. I paid for it by feeling pretty wiped out at the end of the day and woke up in the middle of the night with a pounding headache. I also felt really hungry and snacky in the evening. I had to work very hard to avoid mindless eating. 

But today is day five, and I have a few reflections:

I'm dreaming about all the things I don't eat...french toast with caramelized bananas, easter candy, anything chocolate. I really hope that dies down soon.

I'm still hitting all my workouts. It's hard to get going and I can definitely feel a lack of energy, but that was to be expected. I'm still killing it though. My kettlebell swings were on point today!

Today was the first day I noticed myself really having cravings for sugar and carbs. Mostly sugar though. My inner child is throwing a five-alarm tantrum right now, but my adult self is keeping it together with a steely cool. Telling myself that I "don't" eat those things because I'm choosing to make healthy choices for myself is actually working really well for me right now. 

Mostly I'm struggling with breakfast. I almost never wake up hungry, and I have a very hard time with nausea in the mornings. The first few days of the whole30 were rough.

Little by little, I'm learning though. Waiting to have my coffee after I've eaten helps a lot. Scrambled egg and veggie dishes? Not for me, not in the am. Plain hardboiled eggs and leftover veggies? Yuck. Scrambled eggs, avocado and salsa? Yes, please! Fried eggs and bacon? Not quite enough food. I think next week I'm going to try making a big batch of Whole30 scotch eggs and seeing how I do with those.

So far my favorite result of this thing? Learning to love cooking again. I seriously can't remember the last time I was this excited about ingredients, or the food I was cooking. I love food again.

Hey Tom, I appreciate your concern, but words don't accurately describe how full my plates have been. They are piled high with veggies and protein. Yes, I have studied the meal template and have been following it very closely. Also, I haven't been hungry between meals, so I think I'm doing okay. 

Well, I made it past the first week! Even managed to hit a PR on my deadlift this week. =) The brain fog is definitely lifting, and I'm sleeping better and feeling more motivation and energy than I have in a very long time. I'm even starting to feel hungry when I wake up in the morning. 

Day Six:

• Scrambled eggs, salsa and avocado
  • Kalua pork, roasted brussels sprouts with bacon, roasted butternut squash
  • handful of almonds and cashews
  • Steak, roasted beets, bok choy, mushroom and onion stir-fry

Day Seven:

• Omelette with peppers and onions, breakfast potatoes, side of fruit
  • Kalua pork, roasted brussels sprouts
  • Poached egg, daikon pickles, roasted kabocha squash

Day Eight:

• Scrambled eggs, roast brussels sprouts, chicken-apple sausage. (Ugh, this sausage was way too sweet. Even natural sweet is overwhelming to me sometimes now.)
  • Larabar
  • Sweet potato hash over raw spinach with bacon and fried eggs.
  • Sort-of Tacos! Ground pork cooked with taco seasoning, wrapped in a lettuce leaf, served with salsa and fresh avocado. 

Day Nine:

• Sweet potato hash, bacon, fried egg.

Archived