sleepless on Gettysburg...on day 28 :-)

Hi!
I am going to coast to end of my Whole 30. I made a commitment to do this and I'm going to do it. I am sure I lost some weight but have not weighed myself. I don't know if I ever got to Tiger Blood... or if I would even know if I got there. Honestly I've read every label and asked resturants what kind of oil they use. I still have an occasional GI issue but all manageable. The only thing I still struggle with is unrelenting insomnia. I average about 5 to 6 hours a night. It's so not enough. I've tried everything short of nightly sleeping pills which I want nothing to do with. Since whole30 I am able to wake up and get out of bed and have enough energy to make it through the day pretty well. I'm not dragging or sluggish like I used to.
I want to continue my whole 30 to at least 45...and maybe 60. I have more work to do. But I was hoping sleep would be better.

Any ideas??

I'm glad Whole30 has brought some positives, even though improved sleep hasn't been one of them. I do wish you the best as you continue to explore paths to good sleep.

In the meantime, if you'd like some specific help with your food, post a couple of days' worth of meals, exercise, water intake, sleep (or lack thereof), exercise, stress levels, and anything else you think might be relevant, and maybe we can help you troubleshoot a bit.

Very best wishes to you.

• Moderators

I'm assuming you've already tried the basics...

1. Get up in the morning and eat breakfast within an hour.

2. Get some sun exposure during the day.

3. Avoid caffeine after lunch.

4. Avoid naps during the day.

5. Eat one or two servings of starchy veggies per day.

6. Get some physical exercise during the day.

7. Eat your last meal 2-3 hours before bedtime.

8. Avoid exercise at the end of the day.

9. Avoid computer, TV, iPad, iPhone screens for 1-2 hours before bed time.

10. Consume magnesium like Natural Calm before bed time.

11. Take some timed release melatonin before bed time.

These are just off the top of my head, but I am a light sleeper and have to pay attention to good habits to get a decent night's sleep.

• Moderators

My nightly practice is to drink some Natural Calm when I am heading upstairs to begin my evening routine. Then I take melatonin after brushing my teeth. I don't take melatonin every night because I am ambivalent about using it consistently, but I do take it frequently. 

I usually read on my iPad too, but the blue light of screens is a negative for sleep. I clean my act up during especially difficult periods of sleeping and relax at other times. Sometimes, I wear yellow sunglasses at night in the house to filter out the blue light from TV and iPad. It is a little weird to be wearing sunglasses in the house at night, but it allows me to watch shows close to bedtime if I want. The yellow filters out the blue light that (I think) suppresses the body's production of melatonin. 

Some people get depressed and lethargic if they eliminate starchy veggies from their diet. Not me. I can eliminate all root vegetables from my diet and feel and perform beautifully. However, I sleep better if I eat a sweet potato every day. Or something equivalent to a sweet potato. 

I read about sunshine on skin having important positive effects, but did not take it seriously until I got into the habit of exercising outside during the day. What I found was that I tended to sleep better on days I could train outside and might not sleep as well on rainy days or days that were so cold that I could not get much sun. 

I've never found one magic bullet to solve the problem, but it seems that when I practice a good routine with about a dozen different things, I sleep better. 

Archived