Starting April 7th

mrsarainey

Thanks ABurkett and Merge - I did make it through the day without slipping - so here's to day 9. I'm going to make up a poached salmon salad to take to work for lunch and, as I've had a better night's sleep, I'm feeling more positive. I'm feeling a little lighter and it's tempting to weigh in. I WILL resist and just try on my snug trousers in a few days to see if there's any progress.

Have a great day everyone! Don't forget to keep us up to date with how you're doing. :)

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone and happy day 9! Thanks for the encouragement to toss the scale (at least metaphorically). Looking at it every day and walking away is an exercise in willpower, like the rest of this program. Feeling great today -- trying to focus on that and not on numbers. Tulip - great idea to maybe just try on some old skinny jeans in a few days. 

I'm wondering if any of you have hosted people at your homes yet for a dinner party, or are planning to do so? I have friends coming over this weekend, and have the menu planned out (all W30 approved, except for dessert which I obviously won't be eating). Any tips or "lessons learned" during past dinner parties at your home would be much appreciated! Without a doubt, the hardest thing will be skipping the glass of wine (or three) that usually go along with these things. I had a dream last night that I was given a glass of wine and poured it down the sink -- and that no one believed me when I said I wasn't pregnant, I'm just W30-ing.  :)

So good to read all of your experiences. I have to remind myself that I'm doing this for me. On Day 7 and survived sailing last night, where I skipped the wine for oh maybe the first time ever. Different type of fun, but still fun. It was a gorgeous night on Monterey Bay and I just focused on nature and trying not to get in the way of others enjoying their little party on the water. Today I pack for another trip. Fly out tomorrow for two days in Galveston, Texas and then a seven day cruise. Egad! ISWF says not to do the Whole30 during a month with challenging events like business or personal travel or a wedding. I'm having all three, but frankly there would never be a 30 day period without stress and challenges. And my daughter's wedding on May 9 is such a good reason to do this now!

I hope you all have a beautiful day, hang in there, loving yourselves, eating delicious whole foods. To life!

Thanks everyone for the bone broth pointers. I will pick up some bones at our farmers mkt on Saturday and give it a go...no slow cooker, but I can just use the stove, right? And, does roasting the bone mean putting them in a dry pot for the first round of cooking as lo-lo described, or do you roast them in the oven? Sorry to be so dense about this.

I felt pretty teary today...but under stress and also still dealing with my mother's stuff...In a couple of weeks my mom's main caregiver will come back to town and it will be the first time i have seen her since my mom died...we both know we will turn into puddles then...but, by then I should have three weeks behind meow the W30....in a strange way I believe it is making me stronger and clearer headed.

Cheers to you all...keep up the great work! We've gotten through a good number of days now...soon it will be the halfway mark!

Hi Merg- sorry to give you the wrong impression- I don't roast the bones in a dry pot. In fact I don't roast the bones- but I think that it's just as easy as covering a cookie sheet with tin foil and roasting for about 20 minutes at 400 or so. If you roast you probably don't need to do my method  which is to put in the water and then bones- heat for about an hour then strain, rinse and start over.   I should try the roasting and see if the flavor is better. Also- you may be able to find a good crock pot in a thrift store. :) I'm sorry that you're feeling blue.

Hi River30 and Tulip- I had challenges with scale this morning too. Wondering what I would have done if I would have weighed and had not lost weigh...would I have quit? Quite possibly as before the Easter weekend (wine, sugar, everythng) I had been following a Paleo plan that allowed me coffee and cream and I was losing 2 pounds a week. But I was reading ISWF and just really wanted to try this. I'm happy that I have and really happy that I didn't weigh in. Yesterday I got a lovely compliment from somebody who had not seen me in months so that helped!! At the end of today we'll be one third of the way through- yay!!

Hi River30

We had friends over recently.  I knew that it would be tempting to have wine and that, if I did, my food choices would go badly wrong too.  To  prevent that, I told everyone what I was doing so they didn't try to persuade me.  In terms of drinks - whilst it wouldn't please everyone, I bought myself some very nice San Pellegrino sparkling water and poured it in a long glass with ice and slices of lemon and lime.  It felt like a treat and some of the guests wanted one too.

It helped to do something positive and choose a pleasant drink, rather than just feel as if I was going without.  Hope the party goes well! :)

Vance - your daughter's wedding sounds like a lovely event to help you focus your attention on.  Imagine how great you will feel on the day if you keep going!

lo-lo55 - If I had weighed myself and lost nothing, I would very likely have quit.  So, I'm reminding myself this isn't just about losing some weight, this is about developing good habits.  We can do it!:)

Keep posting, everyone!  It really helps me stay focussed. :)

Hello everyone - day 8 nearly at a close! I spent the whole of today debating whether I wanted to go off the bandwagon or not. But it seems I'm still here and still want to try get through the next 22 days. So in that spirit I thought I'd mention some positives rather than focussing on the negatives:

1) I am not feeling as hungry between meals, I think I'm finally getting portion sizes and proportions right.

2) I am waking up at 6:30/6:45 quite naturally and falling asleep pretty easily. Usually falling asleep was easy but waking up was not! So it's quite nice to find it relatively easy to get out of bed.

3) no issues with bloating - so while I'm still experience some digestive distress at least my stomach hasn't expanded to the size of a ballon at all!

I'm going to prepare some recipes that I'll hopefully be excited about cooking to keep my enthusiasm up as well!

Well done for resisting the scale! It really is so important to see this not as a diet but as a health journey. That is what I keep telling myself when I'm not feeling immediate results. It takes time for the body to heal and I'm not sure why I think this should be any different.

Keep it up everyone! I'm sure we'll be able to get through the "dark times"

Hi gm20 - good to hear some positives and I would echo numbers 1 and 3!

Like you, I need to spend some time developing new recipes/ideas for family meals.

I am experiencing salad overkill!!

Way to go everyone! I tried the ground meat recipes I got somewhere on the website...this morning was ground turkey with diced apple, onions, and coconut aminos...cinnamon and nutmeg...yum. I also made the non nom paleo mashed cauliflower the other night and my husband and I both adored it. Roasted carrots tonight with cinnamon, nutmeg, and other spices to go along with roast chicken...all easy.

I find that I need to make an effort to try new recipes...so bone broth is on my list this weekend among a couple of others.

Let's make this stick!!

Good morning day 8 :)

Hey it occurred to me last night I have gone a full week with no snacking. No sugar (not even fruit) and no nuts (historically a food with NO breaks whatsoever). Yay me.

Suffering complete and utter food boredom, just over food full stop. No appetite yesterday had to force myself to eat. I had made red chicken curry for tea the night before and ate it for 3 meals straight because it was the easiest possible thing (And it tastes amazing). Contemplating meal 1 at the moment with no enthusiasm at all. Suppose I will do some thing with eggs.

Step away from the scales! Lol. My first whole30 I caved and stepped on them half way through. I can't remember now if I had lost any weight but if I had it wasn't much. I was devastated. I kept going though. In the end I only lost 3kg which was dissapointing to me BUT I lost 11cm from my waist and a heap of cm every where else. I have come to the conclusion only I see the number on the scale but EVERYONE sees the cm :) well that is what I tell myself. Not letting my self worth be defined by a number on a scale is some thing I am trying to work on.

Hi Merge - mashed cauliflower sounds delish - do you have a link, please?

Morning Kage - I am also bored with what I'm eating and need to spend some time over the weekend making something delicious and having a cook up. Tonight, I am going to have a gorgeous rib-eye steak with rocket, portobello mushrooms and grilled tomatoes and a glass of posh fizzy water - we try to make a bit more effort with Friday night food.

Well, it's the start of my day 10 - and no tiger blood! Maybe that will come later. I am still not sleeping brilliantly so I probably need to wait until that resolves itself.

I hope everyone has a great day and, as Merge says, let's make it stick! :)

Day 9 here and feeling good so far, still struggling with my motivation to keep going and may have indulged a bit too much in nut butter already today, but otherwise okay for now!

I'm planning on making a slow cooker chicken verde: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/slow-cooker-chicken-verde

Obviously adapted to be Whole30 friendly. And I hope to just roast a bunch of vegetables to be able to pick at during the week! I should really plan some more breakfasts as well - does anyone have some quick/plan-ahead breakfast ideas?

Hi all and happy day10! 

GM - nut butter is the devil for me! No brakes!! I just finished a container and am not buying any more for a long time.

Kage - It's my goal to go the rest of the W30 with no snacking -- some days are easy, some are not. I think I need to make my meals more substantial and filling so that I don't feel the need to much throughout the day.

Tulip - thanks for the dinner party tips. We are stocked on Pellegrino! I was planning to make madelines for our friends for tonight, but every time I imagined myself mixing the batter, I couldn't imagine not taking a bite. Not to mention, I have always had a TOTAL Proustian response to madelines -- before I even knew who Proust was :) Not sure if I want to put myself through that.

I also just DEVOURED the book Nom Nom Paleo in like, one sitting. Highly recommend, even just for pleasure reading alone. The recipes aren't all mindblowing (and they're not all W30 compliant), but I can tell it will become a standby in my kitchen after these 30 days. Michelle Tam's lifestyle change is inspiring -- and it is one of those cookbooks where you come away feeling like you really connected with the author, and you are already old friends. 

Have a great weekend, all!!

Hey Merg- I adore the mashed cauliflower recipe in Nom-Nom- I just tried the fried one too and it's good- I didn't even add pineapple or anything- just onions and I think garlic powder. Whenever I find Cauliflowers for a great price I buy a couple and then whip up a a whole batch of either mashed or fried- it lasts for days...well for a couple of days at least- I eat large amounts of veg!  Also- I tried doing turnips the same way- steaming with garlic and then whipping up in the food professer with ghee- delich! Also fresh rosemary in thier or smoked hot paprika which I love!

Hey GM 20- I seem to do really well having either leftover cauliflower- mashed or fried rice style, turnips or fired cabbage. I throw them in the oven for 30 minutes and then poach a couple of eggs to have on top- that or leftover meat from the night before. This morning I fried up a big wack of cabbage- very slow in olive oil and ghee. I put in some ginger and hot smoked paprika -after it had been cooking for about 15 minutes I put in 3 eggs and put the cover on for about 6-8 minutes- so good!!  Maybe not that quick though but there is lots of cabbage left to reheat for tomorrow's breakfast- or probably lunch!

Your positive post really inspired me yesterday!!

I am so grateful to have so many different kinds of delcious clean Whole 3o foods within a short drive from me. Yesterday I set out and picked up fresh peppers, chinese zuchini, beans, mini tomatoes, the best water cress that I've ever seen...next stop 2 bundles of fresh asperagus from a road-side stand then a stop at our local butchard that just so happens to have the best meat in our area. All that in 3 quick stops plus the fact that I could take the time out to do that as I work mostly for myself!! Plus the fact that we can afford to induge ourselves this way-it's not a cheap lifestyle but I do think that in the log-run we will be healthier and happier!

Hi Tulip- The mashed cauliflower recipe is from NOm-Nom Paleo and I agree with you River30- her book is so sweeet and a great read!! Using some of the stuff that she does to bring out flavor is key to making some of those things that are normally boring taste better!!

We live in Canada- Victoria Bc so some of the things like coconut Aminos are not available-but we are going to Portland on vacation in close to a month because The Whole Foods in some areas are now carrying Paleo friendly products that are endorsed by her. She's also doing a big book tour and store appearances for those of you in the US- her web-site has details. Whew! Sorry multiple posts- feeling like I have a lot to say this morning.

does anyone else have a favorite Paleo cookbook that they can recommend? Somebody mentioned a recipe with sweet potaoes and roasted garlic that sounded yummy- was that you GM20?

Happy day everyone!!!!!

Lo-lo55 I am in Australia and have not been able to source coconut amionos but i have ordered them online from iherb. I actually really need to order more. The only cookbook I have used is Well Fed. Mostly I just google or search instagram or pinterest.

Caulies are REDICULOUSLY expensive here at the moment. Up to $7 each. I was devastated I accidentally left my last bag of shopping behind when I did my food shop on day 1 which was full of fruit and veg. waaaa. My plans for cauli rice and a number of other meals went out the window. Need to do a fruit and veg shop today.

River - the no snacking thing is hard. I don't think I would have survived my first whole30 without dried fruit and almond butter. Definitely eating enough at meals so you are not hungry is the key and herbal tea is a huge saviour for me too.

Day 9 here. Didn't eat much yesterday, just not hungry and was out a lunch time with no compliant options.

Keep rocking on everyone. Remember day 10 is the day people are most likely to quit so be aware if you are feeling like quitting it is normal and it will pass, just keep swimming, just keep swimming!!

Great news on the jeans, Kage! I'm going to try mine on in a few minutes and I'm hoping for a similar result.

This is day 11 for me and I'm still sticking fast, which I am pleased about because yesterday was a tough day - the kind of day that would normally have ended up with cheer up food and wine. But, I resisted.

I need to spice up my menus a little this weekend to stave off boredom.

Keep going chums!

Some bad news on my day 10 - found out that last week on Wednesday (when I had some digestive distress!) my mother had without thinking put in broth seasoning that contains lactose, soy and palm oil :( So after much distress and angst, I've decided to just try and continue from here until I get my food intolerance results back from the lab and then re-assess what could be my triggers etc. and also whether at that point I want to continue to get to a full, proper 30 days or just continue to my initial 30 day mark and accept that I may not see as impressive results.

Or whether I will wait until I have moved out (in December next year) to try another Whole30 when I can prepare all my meals myself with more care, and can control my own whole30 compliant kitchen! 

For now I'm going to soldier on and not fall head first into some dark chocolate, because I know that this is still good for my body overall eating whole, unprocessed foods and it is helping me with my sugar addiction. 

So I'll still be here posting, but I felt I needed to actually say it out loud that this is what happened! 

To lo lo - that wasn't me, but it does sound like a great idea! I love sweet potatoes and always make sure to keep some in my fridge since they can be microwaved in a hurry in just 5 minutes. They taste better roasted though ;)

My favourite paleo cookbooks (along with nomnom paleo) are: Against All Grain by Danielle Walker, Zenbelly paleo, the slim palate and while not strictly Paleo there are some fantastic recipes in The Art of Eating Well by Hemsely & Hemsely - they incorporate more grains into their food, but it's very easy to change to make it Paleo/Whole30 compliant and some really lovely ideas.

That's a shame. I think you are rights to keep going. You've come this far and it's only a few days if you wanted to add a few days in at the the other end.

River30 - how did the dinner party go?

Although I can't claim to have 'tiger blood', I definitely feel as if I'm entering a new stage - somehow my body has got used to things. Let's hope it lasts!

How's everyone else doing? :)

I am sorry that happened to you Kage- food can be so expensive -it's practically like dropping money!! Cauliflower can be expensive here too- I've seen it as high as $6.00- I won't buy it at that price. I'll go as high as $4.00 and then I choose the biggest head!

That sucks gm20- hope that you can plow through- I can't see it making that much of a difference. On day #2 I ate some Greek salad that had had the feta removed- but I could still taste the bits-mmmI thought that I would try to go the extra 2 days but now I'm actually thinking of how much I'm going to enjoy my coffee on May 9th...my hubby and I have coffee rituals on the weekend and I miss it.

Happy for you Tulip that you are feeling a shift- nothing really happening for me. I'm thinking that withdrawal from caffine is masking anything good that should feel. I was ready to quit this morning. It's Saturady and I wanted coffee with cream darn it!!I didn't quit though and I'm not going to- This is not a long period of time and I can handle it!

It was Ladyshanny who talked about the  roasted sweet potatoes- yum!! I've heard about Against the Grain- will try to see if she has a blog!

Day 13, nightime, I am preparing a big salad. We love salad. We stayed strong at the confirmation party today, stayed away from the cake and the champagne. Only had black coffee. So far so good. We haven't noticed any big differences in the way we feel yet. But we will continue, I am cooking so many new foods, that in itself is wonderful.

Hi Karen

I'm finding out that it's very good news to love salad! I have been strangely peckish today and, as a result, had a handful of nuts late afternoon and then didn't fancy the roast pork I'd spent the afternoon cooking.

Well done for keeping to the path at the confirmation event - not easy :/

I'm feeling pleased to have got through day 12 - nearly half way!

Archived