Starting April 7th

mrsarainey

I feel like Saturday's are the hardest, I find myself wanting too snack more and craving non compliant foods. Pushing along... :)

Also have any of you guys thought about doing a whole60 and continue with another 30 days after this 30 is done? I keep thinking I might want to do it.. Just can't decide.. Especially with summer events coming up and weddings, the meal options get limited.. Any thoughts?

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm thinking about carrying on, but I'm not sure I would be able to commit to another 30. I've been thinking about adding on another 10 days and seeing if I fancy another 10 after that. I feel as if I'm less likely to fail if I commit to small bites.

Hhhmmmmmm ....

Hi every one.

Day 17 all done.

Cruising along.

No way I am doing another whole30 straight away!! My plan is to transition into my version of eating which will look a lot like whole30 but a bit more relaxed. With a slow roll reintroduction happening. Hopefully I can manage that and not fall off the healthy bandwagon too much.

I love the friends I hung out with last night. My not drinking/eating certain stuff was a complete non issue. I got a little honest curiosity but no criticism at all. I had much more fun than the week before :)

That is awesome Kage!! I also met up with some friends last night and went to a bar, just ordered water... but once I explained it they thought it was really cool and said tat might be their next book to read, they are both training for a full marathon which is in a couple weeks so they said maybe after that!! :) I love when people are on board with this!

Must say, from time to time I wonder: can I really live the rest of my life without (fill in here: cookies, bread, croissants, cheese, tiramisu...wine, champagne...). I know that M & D say you can indulge a little from time to time, but I wonder if I really can...

For me there are some things that I've just drawn a line through. Gluten is one of them. I'm not celiac or even gluten-tolerant as far as I know, but I am flat-out done with gluten. So that cuts out most all of the baked goods that aren't good for me anyway. For a while I was kinda like "yep, no gluten, I'm doing my part..." but more and more I'm beginning to realize that sugar is probably just as bad if not worse in other ways. So while I haven't yet made the "lifetime commitment" to no sugar, it looks more and more likely as the weeks go on.

Other things like corn or rice (here and there as an ingredient, not a staple) or some cheese perhaps I can see incorporating depending on the dish.

I think soy and HFCS will always be off-limits except for the incidental exposure at restaurants. Plus it'll keep me from getting complacent about label-reading.

I wanted to say something about that to you.....I am concerned about the multi day cooking in shifts method.  It should only be stored after cooking for about 3 days in the fridge.   You can freeze it immediately into individual servings (I do)...and it will keep for some time frozen.   But merg, I was thinking about your multi day shift method when I used some for a soup today. 

How many days have you been at it now?  :lol: 

Merg - many of us have had food poisoning once or twice in our lives.  The sickest I've ever been was from a Ma and Pa sub shack.   They would leave the meats out on the counter for hours while fixing subs and then throw back into the cooler...back in and out for days at a time.   I was out cold on the floor for 24 hours from a pastrami sub before someone found me.  Merg....I don't think multi day cooking is the way to go.  Just a feeling I have in my "gut".   :D  I'm not a fan of subs now.  I find myself eyeballing the back counters and wondering how long those meats have been left out at room temp and how many days they've been taken in/out cooler to the open air.   :o 

Thanks so much, Meadow Lily. I,ve frozen what I had in the fridge, and had my first jar of it yesterday with no consequences. The next batch I make I will make all at once, either investing in a slow cooker or using Nom Noms approach to using a pressure cooker, which I already have. Thanks so much for your candor.

Evening everyone!

I've just ticked off day 19 on the calendar. Wow! Nearly two thirds of the way.

On a less positive note, I have been hungry most of today. The only reason I can think of is that I expended more energy than normal having gone to a yoga class on Friday. It's quite an energetic type of yoga, apparently.

I even did the 'steamed fish and veg' test - and I could have wolfed it!

Hope all's well.

Hi Meadowlily- thanks for the pep-talk!! I'm feeling quite a bit better today. Day 20 for me and coming into a very busy time so I'll be really distracted by multi-tasking my too many ways of earning income. My plan to keep well stocked in various forms of Paleo friendly food.

Yesterday  I made some Chermoula which is delicious- tomorrow making some Dukka. Also started making a batch of chicken-liver pate.

Today treated myself to some retail therapy- bought the new Whole30 book!! Yay- I'm like a crow with a shiney new bauble. I didn't think that there was much of a point as I just read ISWF but even after reading only a little of the new book I've discovered that there's a lot of good stuff in here plus a really good time-line which kind of explained what I was going thorugh yesterday.

Not planning on making this a 60 but certainly not saying that I'll not incorporate some of these new techniques into my life. Also would totally consider doing this again.

I wonder if there are any threads here on thyroid issues- I've not looked into the other threads.

2/3 way there everyone!! Stay strong!!!!

I started April 20. Lost 3 1/2 lbs to date. Following most ... don't cheat on food, but anytime I have coffee (weekend only) I have to have cream. .. using LOL Half n Half. Only a few cups of coffee. Don't have any other dairy.

Not a Whole30 then, but we look forward to when you can join us!  Black coffee definitely can be improved by toying with the beans and the brewing method.

I started April 20. Lost 3 1/2 lbs to date. Following most ... don't cheat on food, but anytime I have coffee (weekend only) I have to have cream. .. using LOL Half n Half. Only a few cups of coffee. Don't have any other dairy.

As kirkor said, having dairy makes what you're doing a warm-up, or your own program: not a Whole30. There is also no stepping on the scale for the duration of a Whole30.

Good morning everybody.

I also wouldn't call it tigerblood, but I also feel good.

I'm usually on meds already for allergies by this time of the year, the birchtrees are blooming. This year, so far, I've been only using nosespray once in a while. The pollenradar doesn't show birch in dark red yet, but the whole30 seems to do something with my allergies. That would be so wonderful. (maybe I can eat cherries again in summer). I was thinking, next year I will do a whole30, so I am done with it before the allergies start, maybe lent (whole40) would be a good time. Then you can always just say: I gave it up for lent.

Mmmm clerries. Fingers crossed for you.

Felt tired and dragging my feet all day today. I know I didn't eat enough yesterday, not that I was hungry, and I drank too much caffeine. I was wide awake when I went to bed then I had a little mouse in my bedroom looking for some warmth eeek. Not happy about that at all. He was caught today so hopefully he doesn't have any mates.

Artmistress it took me a little while to get used to black coffee but now white coffee tastes wrong.

I really need to branch out and try some new recipes. I love the food I am eating but could use a few more meals in the meal plan. Does any one have any recipes to share?

Hey everyone! day 21 for me - this is going so fast! I can't even believe it, I don't normally have an issue with food anymore, I went out to lunch yesterday after church with some friends to catch up and I was fine with what I ordered it was a yummy salad at this organic place, and I loved it, just that when everyone else's food was in front of me, that looked good too - with the yummy ciabatta bread in front of me. But it made me stronger! :) ha!! 

I think for sure I am going to do 40 days! Maybe more, just see how i'm at, at 40! 

• Administrators

re: cooked food in the fridge, maybe bone broth is a special case, but the folks at http://www.reddit.com/r/MealPrepSunday/seem to keep stuff in the fridge all week to no ill effect.

I suppose it'd only take once to make a person leery though  :unsure:

I defrost meats Friday night, cook Saturday and eat it until the next Friday night and I have never had a problem (going on 3 years of this procedure).  Bone broth I always freeze.

• Administrators

I have to have cream. 

No one "has to have" cream.  ;)  Thoughts are reality, perhaps try changing yours to something else?

"I really love cream in my coffee but I'm going to give this a 100% effort and go without."

"I'm sad to give up my coffee for the next four weekends but my commitment to myself is worth it!"

"I love my coffee too much to give up, people report liking coconut milk, I'll give that a try."

Today is day 21 for me! I have been to birthday parties for 6 year old's, pool parties, beach parties etc... and i haven't cheated once!

(My body hasn't felt this good in 11 years-when i was a vegetarian)

I'm sleeping better then i ever had in my entire life.

I've had no cravings what so ever for anything bad so far.

Best program I've ever been on!

Hi Ken

Your feel good rewards must be very powerful to have coped with all that temptation!

Kage - I could do with some new recipes too. I might try out the ''Nom Nom Paleo' website that goes with the book people have been mentioning. Plus, we could maybe check out the new Whole30 cookbook!! I'll maybe wait for payday. Hope the mouse's mates haven't come looking for him. :)

Clarissa - you sound very in control. I had to resist biscuits at a meeting today. I was tempted but not as tempted as usual - so that's a step I'm the right direction.

Anyway, sweet dreams all - and goodnight day 20.

Archived