Low Histamine Vegetarians - HELP

Befreebeyou

I'm so glad to read that you eat fish. Awesome.

Do not follow the vegetarian plan, which has tons of compromises for people who will not eat protein from fish. Follow the regular whole30 and use the low-histamine shopping list. Just omit any of the animal foods you will not eat and replace them with a wide variety of fish and seafood (and eggs, if you will eat those). good luck!

http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-shopping-list-histamine.pdf

Fish is actually not a good choice for low histamine (even though it is listed as okay on the Whole30 low histamine shopping list).  The histamine levels in fish rise VERY quickly once the fish has been killed and continues to rise until it is gutted.  So unless you know that the fish has been gutted immediately after being caught, it's too risky.  Histamine levels also rise quickly in ground meats, leftover cooked meats, and meats cooked "low and slow."  However, beans and legumes are also high in histamine (or else they are histamine liberators, I can't remember), so missmary is right, the vegetarian option is not optimal if you need to eat low histamine.  Your best bet is to eat very fresh meat and poultry, and cook only what you are going to eat at that meal.  Yes, it's a pain, and sometimes I can't get protein at every meal because of it, but if your symptoms are as severe as mine, then I think this is a case where health issues trump Whole30 rules. 

I am currently not eating eggs to see if I react to them after 30 days, but from everything I have read about low histamine, it's only raw egg whites that are a concern.  So if you eat eggs and you cook them thoroughly, you should be okay.

Archived