April 20- Husband and me, kids partially

JillP

my husband, who has said he's totally doing this with me, drank foamed milk in an espresso yesterday and also let me know he had a smoothie with peanut butter in it on tuesday. sigh. i almost wish he wouldn't confess these things because he's very flippant about it (he hasn't read any of the books/website, etc and i have, so it feels like i "get it" and he's along for the ride when it's convenient). anyway. he also started giving me a hard time about not drinking saturday night at the birthday party which really frustrated me. i think he was trying to be helpful, in his own way, by saying things like "it's not that big of a deal" and "1-2 glasses of wine aren't going to completely de-rail you", but i mostly just felt like he doesn't understand. 

There's two important aspects to this situation.

- One: you can't control whether your husband follows the Whole30 rules. If he chooses to create his own program, so be it.  

- Two: identify what you need from your husband to support you in completing your Whole30.  If he's not going to do the program 100%, can you ask him to respect and honor your choice to follow all the rules and not try to pressure you into doing otherwise?  If there are other things you need from him to support you (accepting that he's going to eat the way he wants to eat), be really clear on what you'd like from him.

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My husband hasn't read anything except what I sent him, he seems to get it though when I told him the miracle whip story (and there have been a few more since then) he did ask if that would really make me have to restart. So then I had to explain that aspect to him more. When I was craving something last night and he was on his way home he told me it wouldn't take much and he would bring something noncompliant home! But at work so far he has walked away from his favorite pizza and whataburger (fast food) several times and offers for buying him lunch there. He also turned down a free coke at a store he worked, so they did give him a bottle of water! I feel very proud of him!

After steaks last night he said he could always eat like that, I didn't inform he we couldn't afford it every night. Lol. We made some jerky last night for this weekend, turned out pretty good.

Got woken by my son telling me there is a snake in the dining room, thankfully a grass snake but after getting it outside I am not real interested in food. Tried some of the jerky and gonna have a banana until I feel like I can eat more.

- One: you can't control whether your husband follows the Whole30 rules. If he chooses to create his own program, so be it.  

- Two: identify what you need from your husband to support you in completing your Whole30. 

Totally agree with this!!!  Focus on yourself and make sure he can be supportive without sabotaging your efforts.  You can't control his behaviors.   I know my husband would never do Whole30.  But he is respectful and helpful with the cooking etc.  That being said, it does make it harder to do this when junk is still in the house but that is just how I have to do it for now and I just tell myself over and over again why I'm doing this and why it's important!  And this forum is a big support too! :-)

Spouses can be such a challenge! I second what GFChris said: determine what you need then tell him and ask him for his support with those things.

I'm getting tired of the same food over, and over, and over. Hubby travels Monday - Thursday/Friday. He usually does a lot of the cooking. But, I haven't given him my eating guidelines yet. So, I'm cooking dinner for tonight. Thinking the Shepherd's Pie from the new book. Need to go to the store and get more food, too. Have a conference call day tomorrow. I'm going as an exhibitor. Need to eat really early and take food/snacks with me. They're providing lunch, so I'll see what it's like. Otherwise, I guess I'll take a salad.

It is interesting the snacking thing. I used to snack constantly - mostly on almonds. Now, I'm not snacking but am waiting too long to eat so that by the time I hit the kitchen to eat I'm STARVING! Got to manage my time better.

It's odd. At the party the other night when people asked why I'm eating like this I told them it was due to health issues. Which is true. Nothing life-threatening, but issues I need to get taken care of. I think they're all worried about me now. One of  my neighbors asked this morning, "How's your health and the diet going?" They think it is so hard. Which, really it hasn't been. Just funny how people think.

JillP: WOW! That's a great way to start the day! What jerky did you try? I'm thinking I may see if I can find some to take for snacks tomorrow.

Have a great Friday this morning!

Oh, and I discovered the dogs will eat broccoli. Had a couple extra on my plate this morning and gave them to the boys. They ate them up and came back asking for more.

- Two: identify what you need from your husband to support you in completing your Whole30.  If he's not going to do the program 100%, can you ask him to respect and honor your choice to follow all the rules and not try to pressure you into doing otherwise?  If there are other things you need from him to support you (accepting that he's going to eat the way he wants to eat), be really clear on what you'd like from him.

thanks, chris. i definitely agree (and know) i can't control whether he follows the rules or not. it just bugs me that i'm 100% and he's not, but then he says he's all-in. anyway...i will be better about communicating what i need from him. which is basically to just ask how i'm feeling and tell me he's proud of my progress so far :)

• Administrators

Got woken by my son telling me there is a snake in the dining room, thankfully a grass snake but after getting it outside I am not real interested in food. Tried some of the jerky and gonna have a banana until I feel like I can eat more.

YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We took a roast and cut it,must salt and pepper, smoked for 45 min then in the dehydrator overnight I believe, not sure I went to bed and hubby did the "cooking" part. I haven't found any I can buy, my husband definitely needs meat he can keep in his van. He has some tuna too. Think we will try another batch and soak with some coconut aminos.

I have done diets where my husband sits beside me eating junk, I am glad that isn't the case this time. He also in the past has brought doughnuts home for me and chocolates while I was trying to be good!

Funny thing I don't think my son wants a snake anymore lol. He went and hid on top of his bunk bed until I came out and then hid on the back of the other couch while I got the snake up.

• Administrators

I have done diets where my husband sits beside me eating junk, I am glad that isn't the case this time. He also in the past has brought doughnuts home for me and chocolates while I was trying to be good!

You are "good" whether you eat donuts and chocolates or not because food doesn't define your value and worth.  :)  You're a human being with a good heart and a lovely personality, please don't let what you do or do not choose to eat define your "goodness".  

Has anyone used potatoe starch in place of corn? And also a good acorn squash recipe. I realized after buying it I have only had it 2 ways and both won't work.

check out this: http://stalkerville.net/?s=acorn+squash&submit=Search 

it's from the whole30 helpful links page on the site - not all the recipes are whole30 compliant, but i saw a few acorn squash ones in there that look yummy - i've never made an acorn squash and have one sitting in the fridge, so let me know what you pick and how it turns out!

thanks for doing that JillP!

random question - i got the new book and on page 199 it says there's a shopping list for the 7-day meal plan on the pdf downloads page on the Whole30 site, but i can't find that. does anyone know where that is? next week is going to be a busy one, so i'd love to have a shopping list and menu already made for me!

So very tired. On the plus that means I'm going to bed much earlier.

Luncheon went well today, would you believe we were served a compliant goulash of meat, tomatoes, and other veggies. One of the girls who inspired me to do this was there and asked about all the ingredients. It was good and filling, need to find a recipe! Was very easy to say no thank you to the bread and cakes.

Oh two more funny dreams-- I was drinking coffee and thought "why does this taste so good?" Looked down it had cream and visible mounds of sugar in it! I thought oh no I'm not supposed to be drinking this!! Another dream I threw a handful of m&ms in my mouth, started chewing and thought "oh no why did I do that? now I'll have to tell my husband AND start all over." I quickly decided to spit the chewed up candy into the trash. Too funny. I actually havent craved sweets during the day and was seriously hooked on chocolate before starting.

I so understand this! My husband made a banana/almond milk/chocolate smoothie last night. While I actually think maybe it is technically compliant - the cocoa powder wasn't sweetened and I haven't found anything about no cocoa  - it didn't seem to follow with the point of doing this.

my husband, who has said he's totally doing this with me, drank foamed milk in an espresso yesterday and also let me know he had a smoothie with peanut butter in it on tuesday. sigh. i almost wish he wouldn't confess these things because he's very flippant about it (he hasn't read any of the books/website, etc and i have, so it feels like i "get it" and he's along for the ride when it's convenient). anyway. he also started giving me a hard time about not drinking saturday night at the birthday party which really frustrated me. i think he was trying to be helpful, in his own way, by saying things like "it's not that big of a deal" and "1-2 glasses of wine aren't going to completely de-rail you", but i mostly just felt like he doesn't understand. 

I just got the new Whole30 cookbook - if anyone makes anything delicious from there, I'd love to have recommendations!

In February we signed up at our school's silent auction to attend some fun get-to-know-you type events with other parents. I just realized they are all during this Whole30. First is tonight - a "vino and van gogh" painting event. I decided to send my husband so I can avoid the temptation. The next two are a local winery tour and a local brewery tour. This was bad planning!

Archived