Fruit Waters at 5 Guys BEWARE

Hi all,

I went to 5 guys to eat a compliant lettuce wrapped burger with tomato, raw onion, pickles and mustard.  Didn't want to chance too much peanut oil from the grilled onions and I know that the mushrooms have sugar in them. 

When I went to the Coke Freestyle Machine and saw categories for Low or No Cal, I was curious to see what they were.  I touched the screen and beyond the obvious diet sodas that are out, I saw Glaceau FruitWater and Dasani Flavors Water.  Seems like these should be waters with a touch of fruit juice in them.  Thankfully I didn't try them and waited to google them later.  They both contain sucralose.  This sucks, why did they have to mess up a good thing!

I opted to have the Fresh brewed Gold Peak Unsweetened ice tea.  They also have Seagram's Lemon Lime Seltzer which I think is compliant.  I like the tea better anyway!  Fruit water is better made at home where you know what's in it.  Also, I know that La Croix is a good choice.

You should just assume that any commercially prepared drink will be noncompliant. La Croix is an exception, of course. And the fresh brewed gold peak unsweetened iced tea could have had soy lecithin in it - many teas (even those marketed as herbal/natural/organic/healthy) contain soy.

Basically, for any food or drink that you do not prepare yourself from scratch, you will need to read ingredients lists. Expect to be shocked at the number of "healthy" foods and drinks that contain junk (most commonly sugar or soy or both).

I just looked up the ingredients for Gold Peak Unsweet tea and it does have caramel color.  I looked in the forum and read that it's not allowed and is an iffy ingredient and may be allowed techinically but it may not be a healthy ingredient.  I usually buy Honest Tea from Whole Foods so I'll be careful of the tea out at restaurants. I'd rather just avoid.

• Administrators

I just looked up the ingredients for Gold Peak Unsweet tea and it does have caramel color.  I looked in the forum and read that it's not allowed and is an iffy ingredient and may be allowed techinically but it may not be a healthy ingredient.  I usually buy Honest Tea from Whole Foods so I'll be careful of the tea out at restaurants. I'd rather just avoid.

Caramel color is not allowed and is derived from sugar. Sorry.

• Administrators

We've had that request before.  Maybe it'll be on the new renditions when the book drops tomorrow, fingers crossed.

Those lists, unfortunately, while very detailed are not comprehensive of all the types of sugars and sweeteners that exist.

Archived