Wholy COW!! Here I goooo

karrottop

I so hear ya feeling stress in your gut, same here... and I always want to eat my "emotions".. I get it..

good for you for hanging in there and getting your rest.. tomorrow is a new day.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today waas a new day! Thanks annie:)

So the stove had to be unplugged for the most part today. I have never missed and appreciated a functioning kitchen so much in my entire life. I will keep my new kitchen spotless and beautiful from now on...lol I couldn't really chop, wash, or cook ANYTHING. What a pain in the butt. I tried my best with what I had. Who said you had to be in the wilderness to be impaired from cooking?

Day 20

Breakfast: Canned salmon salad with tomatos, lemon, sesame seeds

Snack: an apple, lots of pecans, and a duck egg

Snack: Dried Scallops (tastes like seafood jerky..no joke!!!)

Lunch: kelp salad with sea weed, bell peppers, cabbage, and sesame seeds

Dinner: kitchen sink soup with rainbow chard, zucchini, eggplant, 2 eggs, and bone broth.

On a happier note, I FINALLY found some coconut aminos. YAAAAAYYY, I'm a happy asian despite all the challenges today. hahaha

Shaunna, trust me, if IIII think it's easy then it REAAAALLLYY is easy! I am not a good cook at all. Only I can handle to odd concoctions that I come up with..my bone broth is the only thing my parents are willing to trust me with. haha

I just roast whatever soup bones I've got (literally ANY cut from ANY animal with a big chunk of bone or even left over bones from a meal) in the oven for like half an hour at 375. Then I start boiling a big pot of water with a handful of ginger and a few cloves of smashed garlic in there. The amount of water depends on how much bones. Then, just toss the bones into boiling water and reduce to a gentle simmer. Toss a couple of splashes of apple cider vinegar in there. Finally, just let it simmer until it reduces to 1/2 or 3/4 of the original amount of water, which is about 2 hours for me, then turn the heat down even lower for 2 more hours and you're left with super yummy broth that should be gelatinous when it's cooled (that's how you know you've got just enough water). I like to add salt and spices every time I reheat it or use it. :P

Day 21..

Holy mac, this last week FLEW by..in a good way. I just wish I was less stressed from living without a kitchen...while my parents go out to indulge in greasy chinese food everyday, I've chosen to stay home or buy some crappy, overpriced salad between work breaks.

I'm really starting to think my IBS has something to do with yeast overgrowth. My sugar cravings are ridiculous..I used to HATE sweet foods..recently, I've been overdoing it on the dried fruits and fruits. Not everyday but MOST days. Bad Bad IBS...

When I go grocery shopping next, I will make an effort to buy more fats, such as avocados, coconuts, and mac nuts. I will not buy any fruits or super sweet veggies. I hope it helps me:(

Breakfast: a duck egg, 2 tbsp sesame seeds, dried scallops, and pepitas

snack: A TRUCKLOAD of raisins, dried green grapes, dates, and goji berries. I'm ashamed of how much I ate..mindlessly..I wasn't even hungry.

Lunch: kitchen sink soup with rainbow chard, mushrooms, zucchini, 2 eggs and an apple

Early dinner: asian braised spicy pork.

Not the greatest day..could've been worse but definitely could've been better. I think this second time on the w30 is tougher than I remembered my first w30. I hope this bad streak ends soon! I'm almost thereee ;)

Okay cool, just talked to AnnaO about some yeast-killing cleanse tactics for the IBS. It's all worth a try!

For the rest of my w30, I am going to go a step further and cut out all fruits (fresh or dry), nuts, starchy veg, mushrooms, and sketchy wild fermented foods.

I currently have no nuts and wild fermented foods in my house so that should be okay. It's the fruit and starchy veg, especially dried fruits that scare me..I'm going to have to let go of the Jicama for a while..I'll be replacing it with avocados and coconut flakes. :( Cross your fingers for me!!

Okay cool, just talked to AnnaO about some yeast-killing cleanse tactics for the IBS. It's all worth a try!

For the rest of my w30, I am going to go a step further and cut out all fruits (fresh or dry), nuts, starchy veg, mushrooms, and sketchy wild fermented foods.

I currently have no nuts and wild fermented foods in my house so that should be okay. It's the fruit and starchy veg, especially dried fruits that scare me..I'm going to have to let go of the Jicama for a while..I'll be replacing it with avocados and coconut flakes. :( Cross your fingers for me!!

Good idea!

Shaunna, trust me, if IIII think it's easy then it REAAAALLLYY is easy! I am not a good cook at all. Only I can handle to odd concoctions that I come up with..my bone broth is the only thing my parents are willing to trust me with. haha

I just roast whatever soup bones I've got (literally ANY cut from ANY animal with a big chunk of bone or even left over bones from a meal) in the oven for like half an hour at 375. Then I start boiling a big pot of water with a handful of ginger and a few cloves of smashed garlic in there. The amount of water depends on how much bones. Then, just toss the bones into boiling water and reduce to a gentle simmer. Toss a couple of splashes of apple cider vinegar in there. Finally, just let it simmer until it reduces to 1/2 or 3/4 of the original amount of water, which is about 2 hours for me, then turn the heat down even lower for 2 more hours and you're left with super yummy broth that should be gelatinous when it's cooled (that's how you know you've got just enough water). I like to add salt and spices every time I reheat it or use it. :P

Day 21..

Holy mac, this last week FLEW by..in a good way. I just wish I was less stressed from living without a kitchen...while my parents go out to indulge in greasy chinese food everyday, I've chosen to stay home or buy some crappy, overpriced salad between work breaks.

I'm really starting to think my IBS has something to do with yeast overgrowth. My sugar cravings are ridiculous..I used to HATE sweet foods..recently, I've been overdoing it on the dried fruits and fruits. Not everyday but MOST days. Bad Bad IBS...

When I go grocery shopping next, I will make an effort to buy more fats, such as avocados, coconuts, and mac nuts. I will not buy any fruits or super sweet veggies. I hope it helps me:(

Breakfast: a duck egg, 2 tbsp sesame seeds, dried scallops, and pepitas

snack: A TRUCKLOAD of raisins, dried green grapes, dates, and goji berries. I'm ashamed of how much I ate..mindlessly..I wasn't even hungry.

Lunch: kitchen sink soup with rainbow chard, mushrooms, zucchini, 2 eggs and an apple

Early dinner: asian braised spicy pork.

Not the greatest day..could've been worse but definitely could've been better. I think this second time on the w30 is tougher than I remembered my first w30. I hope this bad streak ends soon! I'm almost thereee ;)

Thank you so much! When I try it out I will let you know! Keep up the great work. We're almost to day30!

Thanks Jim. I am serious about no fruits and starch. I am going to avoid nuts as much as I can:)

Day 22: My parents just stocked up our fridge with like 5 pounds of apples, raisins, dried green grapes, and sweet potatoes..not cool..

BUT! I resisted.

Breakfast: I skipped it cause I wanted to do some spontaneous fasting.

Lunch: soup bone meat with a tomato

Dinner: LOTS of guacamole and baby carrots, a handful of pecans, a tbsp of sesame seeds, left over soup bone meat

It was nice not having the usual afternoon crash. Also, I had less rumbles and bloat today. Looks like fruits may be the culprit of my bad digestion afterall. sighh:(

7 DAYS LEFT! In a week, I'll be able to say I completed my second whole 30. How exciting:)

I plan on experimenting one food at a time. I will start with fermented dairy first, then try some safe starchy veg, and then finally see how FODMAP-approved fruits fit into my diet.

Day23:

Breakfast: big ass salad (romaine, tomato, a carrot, cucumber, and rhubarb) with slow cooked pork neck

Lunch: slow cooked pulled pork with broccoli cooked in lard

Snack: beet, celery, and carrot juice

Snack 2: big handful of almonds

I noticed that today was a little heavy on the fats but I felt full and my mood was stable. I didn't have crazy thoughts of food. I miss the convenience of fruit very much but I enjoy feeling lighter and less bloated:) It was weird for me not to reach for one of the big red apples that my parents loaded up on...however, it reminds me that I was eating fruit because it was there not because I was hungry or needed it. In addition, the fruit was not doing me any good in terms of gut health and energy levels. I will try to up my veggie intake more tomorrow because eating this much fat will get sickening after a while..I definitely don't want that! :P

Day 24

Breakfast: kitchen sink soup (cabbage, spinach, bell pepper) and left over pulled pork

Lunch: big ass salad (romaine, tomato, carrot, cucumber) and duck wings

Snack 1: 2 HB eggs, a carrot

Snack 2: a tbsp of sesame seeds and handful of pecans

Wow, I can't even believe what I was missing when I was eating tons of fruit! I feel so awake and relaxed when I don't eat it. Although I do wish I could munch down on one of the 6 gazillion apples in my fridge when I am bored but I have sufficient will power to take a drink of water or eat something else. I had forgotten what this mental clarity felt like. I don't think I'll be able to avoid fruit indefinitely but I will treat it like a special occasion thing. If I see some wild organic blueberries or some super juicy melons at the farmer's market, I'll pick some up but I won't view fruit as a necessity anymore. I am definitely fine without it. The gut has been improving for sure! No bloat or pain so far. I love this. :) SIX MORE DAYS.

Day 25.

Breakfast: fasted

Lunch: slow cooked oxtail with broccoli, carrot, and eggplant thrown in

snack: tomato

snack: shredded coconut and big handful of hazelnuts

Yeah it looks like quitting nuts is a no-go. It's just so convenient and easy for a post-workout snack. Lately, I don't even think about having to eat three square meals. I just go with hunger cues. I know it sounds repetitive but I am SO impressed with how I can actually NOT think about food constantly. I've lost the need to be snacking, munching, or chewing at ALL times of the day. This is so cool. I was tempted to reach for a larabar today but I resisted and reached for the hazelnuts instead and boyyy was it satisfying:)

Day 26

Breakfast: slow cooked pork bone meat (SOOOO TENDER) with hot sauce and coconut aminos

Lunch: leftover pork with BIGGG ass salad (lettuce, carrot, cucumber)

Dinner: Big bag of bell peppers with a can of sardines and an avocado

I randomly want to munch on some dried fruit during the day but it's nothing as intense as a craving anymore. I can easily shake off the need. It doesn't BOTHER me that I don't eat fruit on a regular basis anymore:)

Coconut aminos does not taste like tamari AT ALL. I'm gonna have to re-introduce tamari and see how I do. That stuff is my life haha.

I can't wait to be done with the whole 30 just so I can say I did it and start trying dairy, fruits, and restaurant food again. So far, the only thing I eat that are not from my kitchen are either salads with no dressing, sashimi, veggie juice, and nuts from the bulk food store..kinda hindering the social life. Not that I plan on eating out ALOT, but it is summer and lots of events and social gatherings take place. This whole 30 has taught me to be more careful with outside food though so I will definitely approach with caution. Gonna do my research before I go out;)

We have done so well & we're almost there! I already posted in my whole30 log that I will be having a break day on May 31st (probably eating a regular paleo breakfast & lunch and then having pizza and wine for dinner!) and then start another whole30 on June 1st. I have so many positive things going on for me thanks to my whole30 (no more migraines, very minimal headaches, more energy, better sleep, less anxiety, more happy overall, weight loss, too!) but I want to do another one so I can really conquer those sugar demons/emotional eating, etc! I really am not sure what I'd want to add back in after my 2nd whole30. Maybe just a glass of red wine here and there, and if there is a special event every once in awhile, I won't say no, but I definitely want to make this my lifestyle. Maybe no more than 1-2 non-paleo meals per week. What do you think?

OH! And I want to try sardines but I am terrified. I have some at home and have yet to try... Are they super salty? What is the texture like? I really want to like them but am worried I'll have a bad experience... Haha!

I was the same way with those darn sardines! I am wondering why though - - is it from childhood that we were taught they are "gross"? I am thinking that was the case for me. I bought a few cans a month ago for emergency situations (see what I mean, I only had them for "emergencies", ha ha!). I grabbed a can because I knew I would be out and about all day and would need something. I flipped open the darn thing in my car knowing full well that was an idiotic idea for many reasons. Smell, oil dripping, no place to throw the can.... I prepared with plenty of napkins though but no utencils. I ended up flipping some oil out my window and eating them with my fingers. I felt like a cavewoman. Thankfully there were no cameras on me, it was pathetic. BUT, they were not bad! I wouldn't describe them as too salty, or even super fishy. That was just me though...

I love how you used the word "terrified" of them. TOO FUNNY!

I was the same way with those darn sardines! I am wondering why though - - is it from childhood that we were taught they are "gross"? I am thinking that was the case for me. I bought a few cans a month ago for emergency situations (see what I mean, I only had them for "emergencies", ha ha!). I grabbed a can because I knew I would be out and about all day and would need something. I flipped open the darn thing in my car knowing full well that was an idiotic idea for many reasons. Smell, oil dripping, no place to throw the can.... I prepared with plenty of napkins though but no utencils. I ended up flipping some oil out my window and eating them with my fingers. I felt like a cavewoman. Thankfully there were no cameras on me, it was pathetic. BUT, they were not bad! I wouldn't describe them as too salty, or even super fishy. That was just me though...

I love how you used the word "terrified" of them. TOO FUNNY!

Hahah! That's exactly how I thought they'd be, super strong smell, tons of oil, a big mess! I will give them a try today, thanks Summer!

Hahah! That's exactly how I thought they'd be, super strong smell, tons of oil, a big mess! I will give them a try today, thanks Summer!

Don't you worry Shaunna, those sardines are pretty mild as far as fish are concerned. You can easily mask the flavor with your favorite hot sauce or just some lemon juice;)

Your plan for a second whole 30 sounds awesome; it will definitely retrain your palette to ease that sugar demon. From what I've seen so far, you're kicking its butt!! I love that you're already preparing yourself for some cheat meals here and there. I really don't believe in eating the whole 30 way with ZERO compromises for the rest of your life. It just increases stress and takes away from the whole point of being healthier. You've definitely got a good mindset towards food:)

As for my day 27, it was a special day. I had a gala to attend and help out at so I hate out alot. I tried to keep it as clean as possible and avoid anything deepfried or thickened. I think I did a pretty good job and still managed to have fun. That's the big difference this time, I know a few months ago, I would've HATED myself too much for eating out to even pay attention to anything else. This time, I managed to eat clean annnd enjoy the company. It makes healthy living so much more sustainable!

Breakfast: kitchen sink soup (swiss chard, broccoli, carrot, and cabbage with bone broth), pecans, 1 tbsp sesame seeds, and 5 quail eggs

Lunch: big bowl of spicy korean pork bone soup with kimchi cabbage and seaweed salad

Dinner: Stir fried scallops/shrimp/broccoli, lobster, braised bokchoy/mushrooms/abalone, panfried sole filet

:) It was a fun-filled day.

I'll make up for the sketchy oil buy eating very clean tomorrow! THREE MORE DAAAAAYYYYYSSSSSS!!!

Day 28.

Breakfast: slow cooked sirloin tritip with a big ass salad (carrots, romaine, cucumber, bell pepper, and tomato)

Snack: 2 HB eggs

Snack: fruit salad (apple, orange, and pear)

Lunch: kitchen sink soup with rainbow chard and broccoli

I decided to give fruit a try after staying away from it completely for a while. I am now certain that it is no good for me. Right after eating it, I did not enjoy the craving for more sugar. Although I really wanted to munch some more, I noticed that I didn't even enjoy the taste of the fruit so I don't even know what it is that's drawing me back to eat more. All I now is, I won't be eating it from now on. I just generally don't enjoy the taste and odd craving afterwards. I'd much rather have some savory protein snack..even nuts are better than fruit taste-wise and energy stability-wise.

Oh well, you live and you learn. Two more days of whole 30 and then I am going to start trying out kefir and goat's milk yogurt:) yaaay!

Day 29 BABYYYY:)

Breakfast: big ass salad (lettuce, tomato, carrot, cucumber, bell pepper) and onion-garlic-rosemary porkchop

Snack: pecans, an orange, and a dried persimmon

Lunch: HB egg/sweetpotato/pecan/sesame seed salad

Snack: carrot/beet/celery soup

The orange and dried persimmon didn't make me crash or bloated or anything. However, they did give me a sweets craving, which I was able to overcome. I also felt alright with the onions. I'm starting to think the main culprit of my IBS and gut issues is apples, but of course everything else that's sweet can only be handled in small portions.

I cannot wait to celebrate my whole 30. It definitely wasn't easy with all the kitchen problems and IBS but it was well worth it. I just want to be able to say that it is finally finished. ONE MORE DAY:)

Archived