Wholy COW!! Here I goooo

karrottop

It's been about 10 months since my last whole 30, I think it's time to start another one. I am not looking to lose any weight. In fact, I hope to gain some healthy muscle and curves during this month. The purpose of this Whole 30 is to rid myself of the bad little habits that have creeped back into my life, such as over snacking on nuts. For the most part, I eat super duper clean. It's really portion size and eating patterns that I need to work on. Here's the game plan:

No dairy, grains, legumes, refined oils, sugars, and eating cooked foods from restaurants. I've decided that the only processed food I will permit myself is a little bit of gluten-free, organic, non-GMO tarmari. This is a huge stress-reliever in asian cooking, which is what is on my dinner table most nights of the week.

I am also going to work on improving the sources of my food, especially meats and fish. I will try to only buy grass-fed, pasture-raised, and free-range proteins. I will also learn to not obsess over calories; I will learn to detach any sense of guilt or doubt related towards eating too much or too little..I will learn to follow my appetite.

Anywhoo, wish me luck! :)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 1

Breakfast: Enoki mushrooms, broccoli, watercress, and baby bok choy boiled in oxtail bone broth

Snack: grape tomatoes and avocado

Snack: handful of nuts and grapefruit

Snack: kimchee radish and pickled carrots and a couple of pecans

Dinner: Roasted ham hock and pig feet

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

• Moderators

Oooh. Tamari is made from fermented soybeans - a legume. You have to scratch the tamari to complete a Whole30. It is a little different, but coconut aminos are in the same neighborhood taste-wise, but Whole30-compliant. Good luck!

Thanks guys! I'll be on the look out for coconut aminos in Toronto! :D

Day 2:

Breakfast: Big Ass Salada (grape tomatoes, romaine, whole avocado)

Snack: 18 oz green juice (kale, cucumber, spinach, apple, pear, etc)

Snack: carrot sticks and cucumber

Dinner: steamed bok choy, broccoli, and enoki mushrooms with grassfed meat balls

Snack: 2 hardboiled eggs..maybe?

So far so good. Zero counting and calculating!

Day 3 and feeling good:)

Breakfast: lettuce, tomato, avocado with balsamic dressing

Snack: handful of almonds

Lunch: Bone Broth, pork on the soup bones, broccoli, spinach, carrots

Snack: grapefruit

Snack: apple

snack: left over bone broth

no hunger. no deprivation. no doubts.

Thanks Tiffany! I've been having maad digestion issues recently so I've been drinking bone broth everyday to soothe my gut. It's working miracles so far:D Bone broth is the answer to all of life's problems. Seriously..:P

Day 4

Breakfast: Big Ass Salad (lettuce, spinach, jicama, tomatoes, cucumbers)

Snack: almonds

Lunch: Pork meat on soup bones, carrot, bone broth, 2 eggs

Dinner: sashimi

om nom nom nom nom nom :) zero cravings.

Day 5

Breakfast: left over sashimi, bone broth, baby bok choy, carrots

Lunch: black coffee

Snack: fruit salad with mixed berries, pineapple, watermelon

Snack: mixed veggies (cucumber, grape tomatoes, celery, cauliflower, broccoli, and bell peppers)

Dinner: roasted spinach and baked mackerel

Just stocked up on ham hocks, pork heart, and..you guessed it, MORE soup bones :D

I screwed up on Friday, so I feel your pain. :( Had to re-set again. And I STILL feel tired and achy from the sugar. The longer you go without it the more you realize how crappy it makes you feel, which is actually a good thing! :) One piece of advice I've been given is not to try to make up for it today. Fasting may or may not help but for some people getting super hungry again only sets them up for another binge. Being able to just start over and eat clean is sometimes a more effective approach. Just food for thought. :) Or not. :)

Thanks guys! It's been MONTHS since I ate that much sugary carbs..I definitely felt it. I'll be put off by sugar for a goood while! There is still a gross aftertaste in my mouth when I think about it, yuck!

I found that fasting really helped me to re-group my mind and gut this time. I was so stuffed yesterday that fasting for a good 40 hours was not difficult. I even managed to squeeze in an intense workout. Today, I am literally CRAVING veggies and paleo proteins!

Day one of the new 30 is looking good so far :D

Day 1 Take 2;)

breakfast: big ass salad (spinach, tomato, cucumber, bell pepper) and turkey drumstick

snack: kimchee

lunch: turkey drumstick with cabbage and carrot

lunch 2: soup bone meat

snack: mixed fruit salad (orange, pear, and apple)

Glad you are starting again!

I briefly looked through your previous posts as well as today's. It all looks really really good…you are certainly getting in your veggies and protein. Maybe your fat was built in there, but I didn't see much logged. Try upping your fat intake to help with satiety and perhaps curbing the cravings. For example, add olives and/or avocado to your salads. Perhaps top with olive oil. Remember our meals, including snacks, should consist of carbs, protein and fat.

I hope this helps and good luck on “take twoâ€.

Glad you are starting again!

I briefly looked through your previous posts as well as today's. It all looks really really good…you are certainly getting in your veggies and protein. Maybe your fat was built in there, but I didn't see much logged. Try upping your fat intake to help with satiety and perhaps curbing the cravings. For example, add olives and/or avocado to your salads. Perhaps top with olive oil. Remember our meals, including snacks, should consist of carbs, protein and fat.

I hope this helps and good luck on “take twoâ€.

Thanks Carie! I'm still trying to find the niche of fat in my diet..I eat alot of fatty cuts of grassfed beef and pasture-raised pork and chicken so I tend to omit the fat in my salads and use minimal cooking oil. Is that bad? Like I eat the pure fat on pork belly and chicken skin so I thought I shouldn't over do it. I've actually been wondering if that is enough.. : O

Thanks!

Day 2 is shaping out nicely too :D

Breakfast: kitchen sink soup (beef bone broth, broccoli rabe, tomato, king mushrooms, bell pepper)

snack: orange, apple, and pear

snack: 2 handfuls of almonds

snack: a small tablespoon of sesame seeds

lunch: goat stew with kimchee and carrot

snack: 2 scrambled eggs

so full!!

Day 3 is going well. My energy has come back. I find that increasing protein in the morning keeps me from crashing after lunch:)

Breakfast: braised pork heart and tongue from last night with a Big Ass Salad (spinach, cucumber, tomato, carrot, bell pepper)

Snack: almonds and kimchee (weird but totally tasty)

Snack: apple

Lunch: Pork bone soup

Late Snack: tomato and chicken feet

Zero hunger and deprivation. I think I've put on some much-needed, healthy curves since starting all of this. :)

Day 4: feeling so gooood! There are no carb cravings at all. This is better than my first attempt. I definitely don't feel like breaking my second try:P Also noticed more energy throughout the day as I ate more protein WITH my veggies instead of separating the two. My digestion is still out of whack and healing but I am loving my energy level. I can push harder during workouts and stuff.

Breakfast: Veggie stew with bone broth (bell peppers, broccoli rabe, bok choy, black fungus, and king oyster mushrooms)

Snack: kimchee radish and leftover meat from soup bones

Lunch: Big Ass Salad (spinach, carrots, tomato, and cucumber) with duck wings

Dinner: I'm thinking roasted Pork neck bones.

YUM :)

Thanks PinkElephant<3

Day 5 is grrreat. I felt a little undercarbed today so I am having some extra starch:)

Breakfast: kitchen sink soup (pork bone broth + broccoli rabe, mushroom, bok choy, black fungus, seaweed) and apple

Snack: kimchee and pecans

Snack: half a sweet potato

Dinner: big ass salad (spinach, tomato, carrot, bell pepper) and slow cooked ham hocks.

I've noticed that all this collagen and gelatin in my meals are helping my skin and body composition. My skin is softer and more supple! Also, I think I've gained a few inches in all the right places. Good stuff. No binge in sight!

I got the munchies after dinner and ate half a jicama and nibbled on some leftover roasted pork bones from last night. I like that I don't feel so bloated or guilty on this whole30. 25 more days :D

Stocked up on tongue, pig's feet, short ribs, beef shank, free range eggs, and of course SOUP BONES :P

GUESS WHAT? I joined a CSA and started crossfit this week. Feeling closer to nature and my ancestral roots more than ever.

I also plan on emailing my local fish monger about saving some fish bones and heads for me to make stock with. Hurray for befriending your food providers!

Archived