Whole90 for a Whole New Life

beachchica

I'm excited and a little scared that I've decided to embark on a Whole90 starting tomorrow, April 30. At first, I thought I'd start Friday, May 1. But then I realized I didn't want to spend one more day feeling out of control or waiting to improve my health.

I've done a couple Whole30s and had great results, both scale- and non-scale victories. I'm at a point now where I'm getting frustrated with bad habits that continue to sneak back in, like snacking on fruit-and-nut bars and eating after dinner. These types of habits are leaving me at least 20 lbs over an ideal body composition for me. And I'm not talking about looking good in a bikini. This is more of a I want to wear a one piece at the beach and not be embarrassed. More than that, it's wanting to look as fit as I am. I ran 11 miles the other day. And the weekend before, I ran 10. I'm training for a half-marathon (my third, but first since having 2 kids), and it's helped me realize how fit and strong my body is, even with extra weight.

The main motivation for doing a Whole90 is to tackle my psoriasis symptoms that make running and being a mom to 2 kids under 3 a little painful at times. I want to eliminate trigger foods and calm my immune system down. And losing 15 to 20 pounds would be nice too! So I'll try to post something in here every day or two, even if just a recap of what I ate or how I'm feeling. I don't expect anyone else to read this or comment on it, but if it helps you in your journey, or you have support to offer, please do. :)

My plan at this point for each 30 day segment:

Day 1 - 30: Standard Whole30

Day 31-60: eliminate nightshades 

Day 61-90: eliminate nuts

If by Day 90 I'm still not experiencing relief from psoriasis,  I will eliminate eggs. Not sure if this will be a full 30 days (making it a Whole120) but I'll evaluate at that time. The reason I'm eliminating eggs last is that I don't eat a lot of other animal protein (some chicken and fish) so I'd really like to be able to use eggs as a breakfast protein pretty often.

Hi BeachChica,

I had to laugh when I read your post as I could have written most of it myself! I, too, am starting tomorrow for the same reason.

After two years of being strict paleo and feeling fantastic, I developed a Vit D deficiency which went undetected for months and months and months. I was very fatigued and could barely move with joint stiffness, which led to my cutting way back on exercise and eating poorly. So today I woke up and said "enough is enough!" and decided to begin a Whole 30 tomorrow, which hopefully will turn into a Whole 365 again :-). I miss how good I felt for those two years!

I will look forward to seeing your progress over the next 90 days.

Thanks, Mariana! Sometimes I feel like there must be something wrong with me. I'm so in love with how I feel when I eat this way, yet time and time again the bad habits sneak back in. You're right, enough IS enough. We can do this :) Glad to "meet" you and look forward to sharing our progress :)

Archived