G Whole 30 #1-Start 4/29/15

GJR

A couple of days in but I decided I would like to keep a log so I can keep track of what I have been eating during this whole 30, and keep track of observations.  Today is day 3, so this entry will just show a wrap up of the 1st three days. 

Day 1:

M1:  Egg Muffins (4) w/sausage, bell peppers and sweet potato.  I also had a (small) handful of macadamia nuts to add more fat, because I wasn't sure if the ghee I coated the muffins with or the coconut oil I cooked the veggies in would be a full serving.  I used 12 eggs to make 24 muffins, so I figured that was 2 eggs, plus some sausage.  I also had a banana as a snack/a little later than breakfast. 

M2:  Salad with chicken breast, carrots, cherry tomatoes, cucumber and olive oil.  Blackberries.

M3:  Hamburger patty, a couple of pieces of lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, spicey wholly guacamole and some shredded sweet potatoes that I cooked in coconut oil. 

Day 2:

M1:  Egg Muffins (6 this time), plus almost 1/4 avacado (I decided maybe some extra fat was needed-actually probably need to up the veggies on this meal too, but I'm working on it. 

M2: Left over Hamburger patty with guac, lettuce, tomatoes, and pickles with carrots on the side. 

M3:  Banana. Aidell's chicken meatballs (costco)-4, some spaghetti sauce I made from compliant tomato sauce (just added italian sesonings and garlic powder to it) and broiled egg plant and zucchinni from the nom nom paleo website. 

Day 3: 

M1:  Egg Muffins (about 5.5 today-I got really full), and almost 1/4 avacado.  These are almost gone and I am going to have to switch it up-getting a little tired of these.  I'm thinking fried eggs tomorrow. 

M2:  Same as yesterday-hamburger salad with carrots and cucumbers on the side.  I also brought a handful of cashews to add a little more fat (not sure if the guac pack-100 calorie pack) is enough.  I was really full after the salad, so I kind of saved the carrots/cucumbers and nuts until about 1.5-2 hrs later and ate the nuts and most the veggies then. 

M3:  Pork Carnitas (home made in the crock pot).  On top of salad greens with bell peppers.  Adding 1/2 an avacado on top for fat, and probably some kroger salsa I had in my cupboard that I noticed was compliant last night. Then some cherries. 

So far I haven't been extremely tired...but I have also been going to bed earlier.  Hopefully tomorrow isn't really a Kill day, but we'll see!  :D

Day 4

M1:  (3) Eggs and shredded sweetpotatoes (with some bell peppers left over from last nights dinner) fried in ghee

Snack:  Trying not to snack but today was a monthly breakfast with ladies from my church at Kneaders cafe (a bread/pastry place!).  They have omlettes and egg things, but not being sure about the choices and if everything in them was compliant I decided to eat breakfast before going and just order a side of fruit when I got there.  I had a fruit mix that had a few grapes and pineapple but mostly honey dew and cantelope. 

M2:  I really was not feeling it at lunch time.  Not super hungry but I finally got up and had a hamburger patty, mini cucumber, carrots and 1/2 an avacado. 

M3:  Left over pork carnitas from last night with some roasted red potatoes I made today.  I poured a serving of EVOO over the potatoes and pork to get in a fat serving (getting a little burned out on the avacados!).  They turned out really well!  Also had some tomatoes, and a small serving of cherries. 

• Moderators

I poured a serving of EVOO over the potatoes and pork to get in a fat serving (getting a little burned out on the avacados!).  

You might want to google Whole30 forum fat sources for past discussions to get more ideas, but there are tons of tasty ways to add fat to your meals. There's sauces -- here's a link to all the sauce and dressing recipes on The Clothes Make The Girl -- you're bound to find something you like.If you like olives, they're a fat source. Coconut in all its forms. Mayonnaise is amazing for dipping vegetables (raw or cooked) in, and to make chicken, tuna, or egg salads. Plus you can thin it a bit with vinegar or lemon juice and add herbs to get a creamy salad dressing.

Thanks Shannon. I am planning to try some of the sauces...I have been trying to work up the nerve to make mayo for a couple of days and reading a lot of recipies.  I have a vitamix, but no stick blender and I think I may try in the vitamix before I go out to buy some more equipment (even though a stick blender has been on the list for awhile)-I think that could be really good with dill (I love dill dip and veggies!).  I will look through the links you posted-I actually was able to download well fed and well fed 2 (from the lady that does The Clothes Make the Girl) on kindle unlimited, but haven't had a chance to look through them in great detail yet.  :)  Unfortunently I can not handle the taste of olives-maybe my tastes will change as I get further into this, but right now they just make me gag. 

Here's today's details (another day down!): 

Day 5

M1:  Egg muffins (4) w/ sweet potatoes and peppers, small sliced apple with almond butter

Just a note:  I did have communion at church (which is allowed per what I read on the forums after I got home)-so that was one oyster cracker and a small sip of grape juice.  I thought about not, but in the end I feel it is more important to me than what effects the small amount will have one me.  At my chruch we typically do communion once/month so it won't be a question again on this 30. 

M2:  We almost always go to Cafe Rio after lunch.  Yesterday I did a lot of research on their menu and essentially I came up with lettuce, guacamole and salsa fresca that I would be able to eat (I confirmed on the ingredients in the salsa and guac at the restaurant).  I had the great idea this morning to pack my protein (cooked chicken strips) and some grape tomatoes in my lunch bag with an ice pack and take them with me when we went to church and then just put them on my salad when I got there.  I ordered the salad, two scoops of guac and the salsa, then added my own stuff to make a salad.  Then a banana when I got home. 

M3:  Left over salad w/ some more chicken and 1/2 an avacado on top.  I also had some cherries with dinner (going to have to watch the fruit tomorrow). 

Looking forward to the coming week-I did a lot of cooking today (roasting potatoes, sweet potatoes, onions, green beans and carrots) and making chicken curry for tomorrow! 

Day 6

M1:  Last 4 egg muffins, small handful of macadameia nuts and handful of grape tomatoes

M2:  Left over pork carnitas, roasted potatoes, 1/2 avacado, 3 baby cucumbers and baby carrots

M3:  Chicken curry (made with coconut milk) over sauteed cabbage (in coconut oil) and roasted green beans on the side. 

Here's Day 7 (1 week) down!  A couple of minor victories today:  resisted cake in the office AND popcorn at the movie theater!  Not even tempted on the cake. 

PWO:  2 Boiled Eggs, 1/4 Avacado

M1:  Two Eggs scrambled with the last of my left over Pork Carnitas (that I didn't freeze), roasted sweet potatoes

M2: left over chicken curry and sauteed cabbage with roasted potatoes

Snack:  handful of macadamea nuts/cashews.  Have been trying not to snack but we had a birthday party (at the movie theater at 4:30)-My M2 was about 12:30 and I needed something to hold me through until we got home.  Would have tried to get a protein/veggies but I was meeting the kids at the movie theater and my mom (who watches them) was bringing the snack so I didn't want it to be too much work for her.

M3:  5 guys lettuce wrapped burger with green peppers, tomato and lettuce.  Pickles from my house on the side.  

I don't like eating that late, but good day overall. 

Day 8

M1:  "Egg McMuffin" Nomnompaleo.com syle-two eggs (for the outside) and a sausage patty with 1/4 avacado

Snack:  I donated blood this morning and they had an option of raisins, so I ate a small amount of raisins while I was in the waiting to leave area

M2:  4 chicken meatballs, sauteed zuchinni, roasted carrots covered with my homemade tomato/spaghetti sauce.  Small handful of macadamia/cashew nuts.

M3:  Ground beef on a salad with grape tomatoes and a handful of baby carrots.  Topped the salad with spicy wholly guacamole/avocado mix.  

Day 9

M1:  Aidell's chicken and apple sausate (probably 2/3 of a sausage), sweet potato hash browns (shredded sweet potato fried in ghee then put under the broiler to try and make them crispy), 1/2 of a red bell pepper and 1/2 an avacado. 

M2:  Breakfast for lunch. :) 2 fried eggs, 3 slices of compliant bacon, roasted baby red potatoes and a handful of baby carrots.  I figured the bacon was kind of fatty but I went ahead and poured some olive oil on the potatos too. 

M3:  fried cabbage beef stir fry-sauteed cabbage in coconut oil, added stir fry mix veggies (onions, snap peas, red peppers and broccoli-frozen from a bag).  Added left over ground beef from last night and cracked one egg in at the end! Had 1/4 avacado on the side (It seemed like there was plenty of coconut oil on the whole thing, but I just wanted to be sure to get enough fat). 

Had a friend over last night so I didn't get on to fill out the day review.  Here we go

Day 10

M1:  Two Sausage patties, roasted sweet potatoes and sliced red peppers. 

M2:"Egg Salad"-3 boiled eggs chopped up and mixed with 1 100 calorie pack of spicy wholly guacamole and about 1/2 of a ripe avacado.  Served in romane lettuce (I ate them kind of like a taco).  Baby Carrots and snap peas and 1/2 a tomato.  And two dill pickles.  A little extra fat on this meal but I wasn't sure if the next meal would have enough. 

M3:  Pot roast, cooked carrots and roasted red potatoes.  Small serving of mixed fruit salad (chopped strawberries, ambrosia apples and grapes).  I didn't specifically add any fat to the meal, but hopefully the roast beef and potatoes had enough cooking fat to last.  I didn't really get hungry until morning so I guess they did. 

Day 11

M1:Left over pot roast with roasted green beans and roasted sweet potatoes. 

M2: In-n-Out Double hamburger with tomato (Protein Style-lettuce wrapped).  Had some baby carrots/snap peas/mini cucumbers I had taken along with me for veggies.  Didn't have any extra fat in this meal. 

M3: Pressure cooker cauliflower soup (from Moderator Tom's blog:  http://www.wholelifeeating.com/2013/11/pressure-cooker-golden-cauliflower-soup/),left over roast beef and roasted red potatoes with a portion of home made mayo. 

Some notes on day 11 Meals: 

1)  It is a lot of pot roast.  But I love it and am eating it while the husband is away at a conference.  I still have some left overs but probably won't be eating it in 3/4 meals again. 

2) To make the pressure cooker soup I had to get down my pressure cooker I haven't used in probably year.  I may leave it down on a shelf in the garage where I store occasional use appliance rather than in the back of the cabinet above the fridge and see if I can use it more.

3)  The soup was pretty good-I made it with homemade chicken stock because that is what I had.  I didn't use the crused red pepper because I didn't have any but did use the cayenne pepper.  I think I may need to do some tweaking though; I was originally planning on baking some chicken to chop up and throw in there but ended up not having time. 

4)  Today I got a new immersion blender!  And made homemade mayo.  It came out perfectly.  I ate it with my potatoes just to get in a fat today but I am really looking forward to mixing in some dill and having a dill dip type of thing! 

5)  I was afraid maybe I was eating too much fat because I am not sure how much of the cooking fat/food fat counts in stuff and have just been adding extra.  But today after just having the burger for lunch and no fat I was getting hungry again pretty early in the afternoon.  So I guess I'll keep on doing what I have been doing. 

Your meals sound tasty. I'm glad your mayo turned out good. I make a batch nearly every week and have had no failures. (Knock wood)

I love dill in it. My last batch, I used lime juice and some chili powder. Pretty good stuff.

Day 12

M1:  3 fried eggs, 2 slices of bacon, 1 1/2 cups of roasted potatoes

M2:  Cafe Rio again.  This time I brought left over pot roast in my daughers thermos (to keep it kind of warm) and a sliced tomato with me to add to the plain salad w/guac.  The salsa fresca was super hot today, but pretty good.  I have decided I like the beef much better than the chicken. I  had bought a large bag of pre-cooked chicken strips at costco for quick lunches but they are not my favorite.

M3:  Applewood chicken and apple sausage, roasted green beans and my homemade mayo (with dill added) and baby carrots. 

Some more notes from today: 

1).  Last night, about an hour after eating, my stomach was not feeling so good.  The two new things I had was the homemade mayo (but really it is eggs and olive oil, which I have had plenty of) and my cauliflower soup.  Today I was going to have more soup with M3 but decided to try the mayo and the soup separately to see if I could isolate one of those as being troublesome, or if it was just an off occurance.  So far, no effect from the mayo. 

2).  For some reason I am really paranoid that I messed up the mayo or that the unpastured eggs are going to hurt me.  I don't know why it would bother me so much when it never bothered me to eat half a bowl of cookie dough :P

3).  Eating this way makes it so much harder to go out to eat.  I think I am pretty much limited to 5 guys, in-n-out and cafe rio (bringing my own meat). 

4).  I don't know that I feel super energy or anything like that, but I do know it is super nice to not feel hungry between meals.  It seemed like before I was starving between breakfast and lunch and by 5 when I got home I was dying for dinner.  Now I get hungry, but not until 5-6 hours.  My husband has been surprised I have been able to do this for so long but really I think it comes down to I don't feel hungry and don't feel like I am missing anything.  I remember other "elimination" type diets feeling weak, dizzy, etc.  I definitely see that I could do something like this long term, especially once I am done with the W30 and the rules ease up a bit. 

5).  Finally, I am afraid that at the end of my whole 30 I will have gained a ton of weight.  I know we aren't supposed to worry about that and that isn't supposed to be the main motivation for doing a whole 30, but when you have 75 pounds to lose that kind of weighs on you.  Add that to the fact I feel super full after every meal and every now and then it feels like my pants are tighter, well....I haven't broken down and weighed yet and I'm sure I can stay off the scale for another 18 days but man would I like to! 

Time to catch up  a little if I can remember everything. 

Day 13

M1:3 egg muffins, handful of coconut, roasted potatoes

M2: cauliflower soup, left over pot roast, baby carrots (cooked with roast)

M3: half avacado, carrots/snap peas, two sausage patties

Day 14

M1:  three egg muffins, roasted potatoes, half an avacado

M2:Left over cauliflower soup, left over pot roast, baby carrots/snap peas w/ homemade mayo

M3: Chicken Stir fry w/cabbage

Day 15

M1: 3 fried eggs, roasted parsnips/turnips/potatoes

M2: fillet medallion, steamed broccoli and salad with olive.  Bowl of fruit.  (For this meal I was at a conference center-they were SO accomodating and able to modify my meal to make it compliant! )

M3: Chicken and Applie sausage, homemade mayo w/dill, baby carrots

15 days done.  I can't believe I am half way done.  I wasn't sure if I would make it but really, other than being really careful it hasn't been that difficult-I feel like I am getting enough to eat and don't feel hungry.  I can't say I feel spectacular, but I certianly don't feel bad either. 

Catch up time again, if I can remember back 4 days! 

Day 16

M1: 3 egg muffins, roasted potatoes/turnnips/parsnips

M2: Left over chicken stirfry (with a handful of cashews), baby carrots

M3: 3 hard boiled eggs, wholly guacamole, baby carrots (I had a meeting straight from work, so this is my grocery store meal). 

Day 17

M1: Chicken sausage and sauteed peppers, roasted potatoes, 1/2 avacado. 

M2:5 guys burger, lettuce wrapped burger, baby carrots, 1/2 avacado. 

M3:  3 eggs cooked in bacon grease, sweet potato hash, 2 slices of bacon. 

Day 18

M1:2 slices of bacon, 3 eggs, sweet potato hash.

M2: Bad choice today.  I woke up a little later, ate a little later and decided to go shopping today with out eating lunch because I wasn't hungry yet.  I didn't really have a lunch.  I was hungry when I got done shopping so I did have a lara bar (that I bought while I was shopping).  Holy sweetness.  That think almost made me sick.

M3:  Pork Chops, smashed squash (roasted acorn squash and butternut squash with a little coconut milk and ghee) and broccoli/cauliflower soup (made with homemade chicken stock, coconut milk, a little ghee).  I didn't have a specific fat, but the bar earlier and hope the coconut milk and ghee in everything counts. 

Day 19

M1:3 slices of bacon 2.5 eggs, sweetpotato/red pepper hash

M2:Chicken salad (diced chicken breast w/ halfed grape tomatoes and home made mayo), pineapple, watermelon and baby carrots

M3: Pork Chops w/home made mayo, smashed squash, broccoli/cauliflower soup, cherries

Day 20

M1: Three eggs w/ peppers, roasted potatoes, 3 slices of bacon

M2: Pork Chop, smashed squash.  I took half an avacado to eat but it was gross and hard.  :( cherries

M3: Leftover night of sorts.  Chicken salad (w/grilled chicken breast and homemade mayo) w/ grape tomatoes, cherries. Broccoli/cauliflower soup. 

Day 21

M1: Two Eggs, roasted potatoes, 3 slices of bacon

M2: Pork Chop, homemade mayo dill dip, baby carrots and smashed squash. 

M3: Cottage Pie (from Well Fed), Coconut Almond green beans (also from Well Fed), cherries and a couple of grapes.

Catching up again, if I can remember everything-

Day 22

M1: Pork chop with one egg, roasted potatoes

M2: Leftover cottage pie and green beans

M3: Chicken meatballs with a sauce made from tomato sauce (with left over squash smash added to it!) over zucchini and squash noodles cooked in evoo and extra added)

Day 23

M1: three eggs with roasted potatoes and three slices of bacon

M2: left over chicken meatballs/sauce and zucchini/squash noodles (with a lot of evoo in it)

M3: three fried eggs, carrots, mayo

Day 24

M1: 1 chicken and apple sausage with roasted potatoes and a red pepper

M2: 3 hamburger patties lettuce wrapped (in and out) and apple pie lara bar

M3: pork carnitas on a baked sweet potatoe with ghee and 1/4 avacado

Day 25

M1: scrambled eggs with sweet potatoes and 3 pieces of bacon

M2: Carrots and homemade mayo with dill dip (on the road, plus had a really big, late breakfast)

M3: Rotissere chicken from whole foods and coconut cream pie lara bar (on the road)

Day 26

M1: Scrambled eggs with roasted potatoes and red peppers with 2 slices of bacon

M2: Baked sweet potato (with ghee) and pork carnitas, cherries

M3: 1/4 LB Burger topped with 1/2 avacado. Fried plantains and roasted asparagus.  

Archived