Upper stomach discomfort -- Gall stones? Pancreatitis? Day 13

Beginning with day 2 or 3 I noticed very mild waves of discomfort in my upper abdomen, and I thought it was my liver for some reason and posted a thread about that inquiring if it could be due to the change in diet. 

Well, I've continued to have these waves of discomfort in my upper right abdomen, under the rib cage, and occasionally feeling it going toward my back. After doing some searching online, I am wondering if this is related to my pancreas or gall bladder?

I wasn't too worried about it until this morning I had a very intense urge to use the restroom, and my stool was oily! I mean, shockingly oily.. Which apparently reflects a malabsorption of fats. I had a lot of nuts the night before and I'm sure my diet is just much higher in fat than it used to be, considering I used to eat a lot of vegetarian meals as well as meat, and now I'm having meat with every meal and roasting lots of veggies in avocado oil and using rich bone broth, etc.

Based on this information, do I need to see a doctor? Do I need to modify the diet?

Thank you for any and all information.

The pain that you're describing sounds more like duodenal distress to me - ie., indigestion. Nuts are well known for casuing digestive distress and if you've eaten a lot may cause the oily stools you mention. There could well be other food items that you're eating that are causing similar issues, or something you're not eating enough of....

Can you post a few days worth of food & fluid intake, and activity levels?

Sure!

For breakfast I have been eating roasted veggies with 2 scrambled eggs in clarified butter and mixed with coconut milk (whole). The roasted veggies the last two days were butternut squash, potatoes, onion, bell pepper. Roasted in avocado oil. 

Lunch was more roasted veggies with palm sized steak, yesterday's lunch was chicken and roasted veggies. I usually have a 2nd lunch because I'm breastfeeding and this time same kind of meat but over red leaf lettuce, spinach, and orange slices and sugar snap peas. 

The last two dinners were two compliant hot dogs with steamed broccoli, night before was 2 hot dogs with more roasted veggies. Then I was in the hospital with my daughter who had a 106 temp and ate a lot of nuts with dried apricot there, came home and had 2 tablespoons of sunflower butter over apple slices. The next day was when the oily stool happened. Last night I did not eat any nuts but did have another steak salad, but this time only used balsamic and the juice from the orange for my dressing to avoid using too much oil. Still woke up with oily stool but less dramatic.

Walked around the neighborhood with the two kids, wearing one 25 pounds. Normal activity.

Any ideas?

My guess would be that if you've had the same mixed roasted veg twice a day for the last few days that lone or more of those veg is causing indigestion. Onion can be problematic for a lot of people, as can peppers. Broccoli is another one that can cause issues.That followed the uptake in nuts, dried fruit, and nut butter has contribued both to the pain *and* the oily stools.

I'd cut out nuts & nut butter, maybe eliminate onion for a day or two, and make sure you're getting enough liquids on board to see if that helps.

Of course I'm not a doctor - this is just my educated guess!

Hope it all settles down for you soon...

Archived