2nd Whole30. Doing it for me this time.

kimberlyxo

I started my second Whole30 today and it is much needed!! I have been feeling like crap lately. I know I've been eating terribly because I feel terrible. My seasonal allergies are back, I am tired all the time and I have a continuous fog surrounding me.

There were many reasons I started "dieting" (WW, calorie counting etc). But mainly it was because I never felt good enough for my fiance. He is gorgeous and fit and I wanted to be that for him. Starting this journey stemmed from wanting to be presentable for him and have him feel proud to be engaged to me. It took me a while to realize that he loves me for who I am as a person. I then had to start loving myself and get to a point where I was comfortable in my own skin. I got there with the help of the Whole30 program. :)

I completed my first Whole30 in April 2014. I read in ISWF that processed foods, dairy, grains etc could possibly have an impact on food and seasonal allergies. I decided one day that I would do a Whole30 as an experiment and see what happened. Since then, I have lost 55 pounds as well as kicked my allergies which were seasonal and also food related. I couldn't eat raw fruits, vegetables, or nuts without getting an itchy/swollen throat. I've had seasonal allergies every spring/fall my entire life. I also had awful stomach pains every day. I thought they were normal and just something I needed to get used to. I thought the same for my allergies too. I would live like that and just deal with it. Luckily I had this program to guide me and this forum to help me along the way.

I am super excited to start my second Whole30 :)

Day 1

Meal 1- I had roasted garlic sweet potato home fries with grilled chicken seasoned with tyme, garlic, paprika and chili powder

I haven't felt hungry, but I did encounter my sugar dragon briefly. I focused on my work and ignored that beast until it went away.

Meal 2- More grilled/seasoned chicken with curry cauliflower from nomnompaleo. This recipe is amazinggggg. My finger nails are currently yellow from tossing the florets before roasting. Note to self, use a spatula next time. I also have some grapes and strawberries mixed with lime juice

Meal 3- I will grill up some chicken and asparagus. Im thinking a lemon-y type seasoning would be good. Nice and fresh for spring

I'll be doing some meal prep tonight for the rest of the week. I play softball two nights a week so its always best to be prepared so I'm not scambling around eating the first thing in sight.

-Kim

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I came home to half of a left over buffalo chicken calzone. My absolute favorite food everrrr

My fiancé didn't eat it for lunch which I assumed he would. I had the decision to either eat it and start my Whole30 tomorrow. Or throw it away and stick to my start date of today....Well it broke my heart, but I threw the calzone straight in the trash. Extra ranch dressing and all....

I am so sick of saying "I'll just start tomorrow." I wasn't allowing myself to give in to that calzone. It may only be day 1.... it might not have been that big of a deal to start tomorrow.... but it was a big deal to me.

That is all for now.

-Kim

Good for you, Kim!  Throwing out a favorite food is a huge deal for me too.  You should be especially proud of yourself on day 1 - so much easier to say "I'll just start over tomorrow, no biggie..." when you're not 3 weeks into it. 

Day 2

My dog woke me up early to go out so I decided to stay up instead of going back to bed. This is completely unnatural for me. I generally hit my alarm for at least 45 minutes before I get up. It drives my fiance insane.

Since I was already up, Chief and I took a walk around the neighborhood. It helped wake me up and will hopefully have tired him out so he sleeps all day while I'm at work. That one decision led to  emptying the dishwasher, cleaning up the kitchen and folding laundry. I have been having major issues with motivation lately so I see this as a huge accomplishment and it's only Day 2 :)

Meal 1 - Grilled chicken with left over curry cauliflower

Meal 2 - Grilled chicken with grilled sweet potato and asparagus, grapes and strawberries

Meal 3 - Grilled chicken (I made alot of chicken last night) this time it's marrinating in hot sauce with a random assortment of grilled veggies

I have been having stomach issues with cashews, pistachios etc so I am cautious to add them back into my diet. Maybe next week. Although... some nuts are SWYPO for me. I can't stop at a handful. So maybe I'll hold off on those for now...

-Kim

Thanks WholeMama! It was friggen tough but I knew I would regret it...

I had an allergy test a couple years ago that showed I am allergic to cashews and walnuts. I've eaten cashews my whole life and never noticed anything until I started eating clean. That's when all the other stomach pains went away so they must have over shadowed the nut reaction.

I am so excited for you doing a Whole100! That will be an amazing journey!

I can already tell that I am going to get bored with my recipes. I need new flavors to keep my interest so I don't eat a can of Pringles. (my MIL legit brought over three cans of Pringles this afternoon....)

I feel like I am stuck already....

Anyone have any good sauce recipes? Or anything really? LOL

• Moderators

I can already tell that I am going to get bored with my recipes. I need new flavors to keep my interest so I don't eat a can of Pringles. (my MIL legit brought over three cans of Pringles this afternoon....)

I feel like I am stuck already....

Anyone have any good sauce recipes? Or anything really? LOL

The Clothes Make The Girl and Nom Nom Paleo are probably the two most-mentioned recipe sites here in the forum -- most but not all of the recipes on them are W30 compliant or can easily be made so. Tom Denham, one of the other moderators, has a site that's all W30 compliant recipes, Whole Life Eating. There are others, but those three could keep you in recipes for years even if you never repeated any of them.

For sauces, Sunshine Sauce is nice. The Moroccan Dipping Sauce is good too -- scroll down the page, it's under the chicken recipe. Or just make the chicken recipe too, it's also good. This page has several sauces, and they're all Whole30. If you have a favorite sauce or favorite dish and want a W30 version, google the name of it with Whole30 (for instance, Whole30 hollandaise) and you should find lots of options, although you'll still have to read each one and make sure it's really Whole30.

Pinterest is good too -- somewhere here on the forum is a thread where people were linking to their W30 Pinterest boards. Mine is linked in my signature, if you want to take a look. Again, though, things get labeled Whole30 that aren't, so always read the recipes and make sure they're really compliant and not SWYPO. You wouldn't believe how many paleo pancake recipes get labeled W30, and none of them are.

Thank you both!! I appreciate the suggestions!

I have noticed that alot of Pinterest boards labeled Whole30 are not... which is frustrating so I move on. Ill have to go back to the Well Fed cook books and see what I can find. I love variety and mixing things up.

I have tried paleo mayo and i failed, terribly. I tried to use my food processor but its a mini kitchenaid one and doesnt have a hole on the top for EVOO streaming. Ill need to try and use my immersion blender this time. I see people use that and it works really well. Thats a great idea too because mayo is the base of sooo many sauces. Like Ranch for example  :D

Day 3

I am feeling pretty darn good right now. I woke up early with my alarm, well I hit the snooze button a few times but I got up damnit and that's all that matters  :)

Took the dog for a walk and then got ready for work. I kind of like getting up and getting stuff done early. It makes you feel all accomplished before you even leave your house

Meal 1 - Breakfast sausages and wicked gahlicky broccoli (i'm from MA, that's how I pronounce garlic) 

The sausages are made from ground pork and spices (pepper, pink salt, garlic powder, thyme, sage and all spice)

Meal 2- Grilled chicken with more garlicky broccoli. Red grapes, strawberries

Snack - Grilled chicken. I have a softball game tonight and if I don't eat anything before I play, I won't hit home runs

Meal 3- Its more probable than not (see what I did there? too soon?) Ill have grilled chicken and sweet potatoes

Check out my Instagram page for pics of all these yummy meals! @kimberlyxo24

Day 4

Im a little tired today. I got home late from softball and went to bed later than normal. But I still got up early, took the dog for a walk and cooked veggies and potatoes for my meals today. 

No headaches so far... I am afraid they will sneak up on me one day all at once... 

Meal 1 - Breakfast sausage/chicken, broccoli, sweet potatoes/red potatoes, closed fist of pistachios

Meal 2 - Chicken, broccoli, sweet potatoes/red potatoes, red grapes, strawberries

Meal 3 - Super boring. Applegate hotdogs, broccoli and a couple slices of prosciutto. And mustard of course

I've had a small amount of pistachios the past two days. I did have some stomach grumblings yesterday that remind me of when I eat gluten or other foods my body hates. I am hoping it wasn't the pistachios and it was just my body detoxing. 

I have a bridal shower tomorrow. I know there will be lots of temptations. She knows I eat Paleo, so hopefully she thinks of that and buys a veggie platter  :)

I'll make sure I eat before I go and bring something small to snack on in the event I get hungry or want to dive head first into the buffalo chicken dip. 

Today and tomorrow are also the "Kill All the Things" stage... Can't wait  :wacko:

-KIm

We made our mayo with our immersion blender and it turned out beautifully! It's so yummy. I'm slightly obsessed with it.

I will try to look you up on Instagram! I post all the time,.. I'm Bburg incase you see my name pop up!

You will do okay tomorrow! Hopefully there will be veggies or fruit and you can eat plenty of that!

Oh perfect! Seems easy enough! I see so many recipes that begin with paleo mayo as the base. There are so many possibilities! 

Thanks  :)  I feel good about tomorrow. I am better at staying compliant when I am in crowds. The peer pressure reminds me of my goals and why I started this in the first place. Plus, I admit, in my head I judge everything people are eating. I can't help it lol

Day 5

I am over the freaking moon right now. I made Paleo Mayo! I failed trying to make it last summer and never tried again. I followed the recipe from Well Fed 2 and it came out beautifully! I know I am late to the party on this one, but OMG its delicious. I cant wait to make all the recipes with it :D

My fiancé got pissed and walked outside because I made it while he was trying to watch Mad Men and my immersion blender ran for like 3 minutes straight. Oops! Whatever! He has no clue what was just accomplished here!

I was sooo tired yesterday and I'm still pretty tired today with a small headache. I wonder if I am hitting days 6 and 7 early. I didn't have a hang over and I haven't wanted to Kill All the Things yet.

Meal 1 - Breakfast meatballs made with sunrise spice from Well Fed 2 and sweet potatoes cooked in ghee. Not as good as the pork sausages...

Meal 2 - More meatballs, broccoli and grapes

Meal 3 - This meal will most likely have something to do with the amazing mayo I just made!

I had a bridal shower today. There were all the foods I would normally binge on. Pizza, chocolate trifle, chips and dip, lobster salad sandwiches etc. I had eaten before I left assuming there wouldn't be any compliant food options. My friends understand the meaning of a Whole30, so they didn't try to peer pressure me into anything. I was perfectly content with my iced black coffee and fruit.

That's all for now

-Kim

My fiancé brought a chicken fajita pizza for dinner. It smelled amazing. But it also reminded me that I have peppers and onions to make my own version of chicken fajitas.  

Its weird but I didn't want the pizza at all. I am fully committed to this Whole30. I am only on day 5 but I have high hopes for this round... I really do :D

Day 6

I woke up with a super swollen right eyelid. I'm pretty sure its my allergies. The pollen is insane right now.

Meal 1 - My tribute to Elvis. Breakfast meatballs made with sunrise spice from WellFed2, drizzled with almond butter and topped with bananas cooked in ghee with salt and cinnamon. It was sooo good! I was missing the bacon though... I also had fresh cucumber on the side

Meal 2 - I was invited to a cook out at my aunt's today. I brought my own applegate hotdogs, roasted potatoes and green beans, pickles and soda water. I added fruit to my soda water and drank it from wine glass. I looked fancy

Meal 3 - Chicken (dipped in paleo mayo, breaded in almond and coconut flour then baked) with sweet potatoes, guac and green peppers

I am super tired today... maybe a 20 minute nap is needed

-Kim

Day 7

Was feeling pretty tired again when I woke up. But I got my butt out of bed and took the dog for a walk. I felt surprisingly awake after that and very hungry. I ate my breakfast at home instead of bringing it to work with me and watched a few minutes of Good Morning America. 

I felt myself wanting chocolate yesterday. Walking through Target in the baking section, smelling all the chocolate triggered something in me. Last night I went to move my EnjoyLife chocolate chips (unopened) from the cabinet to the freezer so they wouldn't melt and noticed I paused for a second before letting them go. This makes me realize how much sugar really controlled me before. 

I remember in my first Whole30 when I craved grilled chicken and garlic mashed cauliflower. I cannot wait until I get to that point again instead of wanting to stuff my face with chocolate

Meal 1- 2 Applegate hot dogs, steamed broccoli with a baked sweet potato and a cup of black iced coffee

Meal 2 - Chicken Tandoori (pulled chicken, onions, garlic, lots of broccoli and green peppers) the sauce is made from coconut milk, turmeric, cumin, cayenne, paprika, salt, pepper and possibly garlic powder, but I can't remember.

Meal 3- Yet to be determined

I have a softball game at 6 tonight. I didn't bring a snack for before the game but I do have a Lara Bar (cashew cookie) in the event I get hungry.

I LOL'd at my fiance last night. While I was making guac and cutting up green peppers, he looked at me with this sad puppy dog face and said "I want to do a Whole30. You're making guac with lots of tomatoes to make me jealous" He says this while reheating his chicken fajita pizza from the night before. Um maybe you're eating that delicious smelling pizza to make me jealous?? Boys...  :D

-Kim

Archived