Start date June 1

Elissa W

Day 10 - NSV!

I have been riding my new bike alot this week, There is a pretty steep hill on the bike path. Until today I have always had to get off my bike and walk it up the hill.

Today I was able to bike up the hill for the first time, it wasn't easy, but I made it!!

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Help Guys!!!

Im not feeling well and i want to take meds but everything i have contains maltodextrin and/or starch. I dont want to start all over again. 

Any suggestions???

I have an ear ache and a fever

I would try sweet oil in your ear with a low heating pad, and maybe cool bath or shower for temp

Nanda: My grandmother used to put sweet oil in our ears for earaches with a bit of cotton. It always helped. Another option is garlic oil. My sister uses that for her kids. Again - it helps and has saved many trips to the Dr. [both are or were available at Walgreens] Hope you feel better soon.

Donna, you could always stand on the scale backwards and ask not to be told the number. I've done that before and the nurse didn't say a thing.

You may also try calling up the resort and telling them you have some special dietary restrictions and could you speak with a manager at the restaurant to see how accommodating they can be. You can pick out some items from the menu that look compliant (or are easily adaptable), and check on any unknowns (what kind of oil, can you sub a salad for the pasta, whatever) and talk them over with the restaurant. That way you don't get there and get caught short because you can't find anything on the menu to eat. Good luck and have a blast! :D

That's a good idea. Thanks, rhed.

Donna, you could always stand on the scale backwards and ask not to be told the number. I've done that before and the nurse didn't say a thing.

You may also try calling up the resort and telling them you have some special dietary restrictions and could you speak with a manager at the restaurant to see how accommodating they can be. You can pick out some items from the menu that look compliant (or are easily adaptable), and check on any unknowns (what kind of oil, can you sub a salad for the pasta, whatever) and talk them over with the restaurant. That way you don't get there and get caught short because you can't find anything on the menu to eat. Good luck and have a blast! :D

Thanks for that suggestion!! :) I called and they definitely have food I can eat...and they cook with olive oil :) Yay!!! 

Hi all,

Hope you all are doing well!! I am actually feeling pretty good today...slightly tired but not bad.  My cravings for junk are wayyyyyyyy less than they were before I started this process.  I am not gonna lie and say when I saw the BEAUTIFUL cupcakes my friend brought to work today that I wasn't wishing a tiny bit that I could have one (they are amazing), but overall, I'm able to say no and walk away :)

I wanted to share the recipe I'm going to attempt to make tonight...we shall see how it goes :)  It is from a company called SunBasket.  They deliver fresh, organic recipes and their ingredients to your door and all you do is prep and cook.  We get three dinners a week for two of us and it is $60. Worth it in my opinion because it is delicious!!  They are located in the Bay Area of California so they don't ship to everywhere at this point.  Here is tonight's recipe:

Steak and Chimichurri with swiss chard

http://www.sunbasket.com/recipe/131

I hope I'm ok sharing that on here!! :) Not trying to plug them...but they do rock!! :)

Hi all!

I made the walnut-crusted pork tenderloin from The Whole 30 tonight...wow!!!!  It was incredible, absolutely delicious.  I highly recommend it.  I added steamed carrots and baked potatoes and my husband and I were both amazed at how good it was.  He is not a big fan of pork, so his opinion is high praise indeed.  Has anyone else made this yet?  It took under an hour to get this on the table from start to finish, a gourmet tasting meal in fast food time.  (ok maybe not McD's, but definitely Denny's)   :P  

Hello fellow W30ers of the class of 060115! Day ten. Very little energy :( Have been sleeping thru the night which is amazing for me, got a little adrenaline rush on my way to work, but it must have been my breakfast fruit dumping into my blood! Big energy drop once I got to work. I do think I have insulin issues to re balance.

I tried a new recipe today... The stuffed pepper! Used finely chopped cauliflower to resemble rice. Didn't have sweet potatoes ready so omitted those. Very tasty!!

Thanks for posting all. Enjoy hearing from you about your W30 experience.!

YES! 1/3 done!

Hi all!

I made the walnut-crusted pork tenderloin from The Whole 30 tonight...wow!!!!  It was incredible, absolutely delicious.  I highly recommend it.  I added steamed carrots and baked potatoes and my husband and I were both amazed at how good it was.  He is not a big fan of pork, so his opinion is high praise indeed.  Has anyone else made this yet?  It took under an hour to get this on the table from start to finish, a gourmet tasting meal in fast food time.  (ok maybe not McD's, but definitely Denny's)   :P  

I had a couple pork chops in the fridge and we gave this recipe a try - only we didn't have walnuts and substituted macadamia nuts, it worked really well, was super tasty and we have enough of the rub for next time since we only had chops.

Very tasty!

Today was my first day out in the wild, had lunch and dinner in restaurants and attended a networking event.

Lunch was at a burger place that specializes in gourmet burgers. I got to pick and choose from a whole bunch of "legal" foods, and a mixed green salad on the side. Dinner at a seafood place so steamed shrimp with lemon and some salad. Ordered club soda at the networking event, they were nice enough to dress it up with a lime to make it look like a cocktail. Yes, I talked to a couple dozen strangers looking for business connections, all without a drop of "social lubricant". Got to tell you, proud of myself! The old temptations weren't even really tempting me.

Ten days down people!! We are making this happen!

Barring a major relapse over night....I'm cured!  I shall not have to gargle.  Hurrah!

Well, close enough to count as cured anyway.  I still have the occasional tickle and such, but the pain is gone and if I keep heading in this direction I should be fine for the class tomorrow.  My voice will probably be trashed by the time it's done, but I checked my roster and I have an unusually small group so I'm going to try and streamline the course even more than normal and maybe wrap up early.  And lookie here, I just happen to have a newly expanded cache of teas for post-prof recovery time. 

Even at my worst when it truly hurt to eat, I did accomplish three something's a day.  ::patting self on back for that::  Tonight's meal was pretty close to back to normal (a grilled pork chop with a scatter of diced mango and tons of roasted asparagus) and I plan to add the remaining asparagus and part of the other chop I made as part of my morning mix.  I've been working on thinking of eggs as more like a warm sauce over something else for breakfast in an attempt to stave off the egg boredom.  I'm not much of a meat eater given free reign to choose, so it's important for me to keep eggs in the mix as much as possible to stretch my protein options out over the day and not feel like I'm on the all-meat buffet diet. 

I kind of had this weird "aha!" moment today when I realized that the way I'm starting to cook is a lot like how I dress.  I buy some good things that I really like and then put them together in different ways all the time.  I rarely end up wearing the same exact thing twice, not because I own a zillion garments, but because I'm constantly reinventing what goes with what.  I'm not sure if that will resonate with anyone else at all, but it was one of the first concrete moments of thinking I could do this longer than 30 days.  Maybe even, GASP, without a meal plan every week.  I saw how it could work for me.  Though I do still have a close to my heart list of things I want to bring back, it's pretty small and could be added back in ways that make them more accessories than anything. 

Thanks guys for all the suggestions and energy the last couple days, I think I'm coming off the bleachers...time to stop flirting with the water boy and get back in the game!

Hi everyone

I'm in the UK and so just starting day 11. Can't believe I'm & we are already 1/3 of the way through. So far so good. I had the potential for being derailed yesterday but persevered & made it through the day - not quite sure where the amazing will power is coming from but I'm so glad it's there. I was on a long journey & had run out of the pre-packed food I'd taken to last me two days. I was only 1&1/2 hours from home but hungry & tired so I searched for some compliant nuts at a train station - all I could find were peanuts so no good. I luckily had 30 minutes between trains so kept searching (normally I'd give in to my craving & have a latte, a large bar of milk chocolate, a big bag of Haribo or a cinnamon bun). My determination paid off & i finally found a banana so I had that with a black coffee & disaster was averted. I signed up to the emails and have found they're really motivating - just knowing at the end of the day I intend to click that button to say I've made it through another day 100% W30 complaint - maybe that's where the inner willpower has come from.

Overall I'm trying to limit my fruit to the less exotic/less sugary varieties and only in small portions but yesterday that banana kept me on track. I learnt from this that I must always have an extra emergency W30 compliant snack or two with me wherever I go.

I haven't had time to keep up with this thread so not read all the other posts above but hopefully will do over the weekend.

We CAN do it  :D

morning folks.

still so stressed i can't really eat. but at least i'm  making better chocies than i would have pre-whole30.

i'm still pretty upset about the relationship thing, but it's just gonna take time. i just throught this was it, ya know?

blindsided all my friends as well as his. we don't know what he's thinking. therapist says he's scared of initimacy.

so. hey, at least i'm not stuffing my face with chocolate croissants from the cafe and sucking down a frappuccino.

i wans't the one with the banana tho haha

it's hard because i thought this person was in love with and then tuesday night i found out that was not the case. so it's been hard to make the mental switch. i thought we were gonna get married, that i had a life partner. i'd never really met anyone like him and it was awesome. only he's not who he says he was. and it's very hurtful.

Sorry about that Mollycase

You may know I've said this (being a mom of grown children) a thousand times

A leopard doesn't change his spots

He or she is who he or she was

It's hurtful and wrong ..not to rehash or upset you but if these people were honest and owned it they would break it off early to avoid all this Sorry I'm

Not asking to know your business only to support your decision

You'll find love when you are not looking for it

Sometimes it's right in front of you and you can't see it :D

Carry on with W30 try to focus it will be okay

Did anyone else read the timeline before they started and find yourself thinking..."I don't care what it takes, there is no way on this wide green earth that I'm quitting on Day 10 or 11 and being one of THAT statistic"?! 

Me too. 

So completing today is not even optional.  Not.  Not.  Not.

Not that I'm feeling the urge to anyway, just saying!

With that in mind, I kind of loved today's horoscope for us Gemini by start day rather than birth....so I'm back to sharing that for your morning fun. 

You own your future -- so you can't let anyone influence your hopes and wishes or tell you that what you want won't ever happen. This is a time to marshal your inner strength and stand firm for what you want. An excess of energy could cause you to fly off the handle once or twice today, but no one will be offended by your passion. You have a vision of what you want the next few years of your life to be. Today, go out and start turning that vision into reality.

Wow, right?!  I mean don't get me wrong I'm fully aware a horoscope is written in the kind of terms that make it applicable to nearly anyone reading it, but still...you could almost stop with "you own your future" for us today.

thanks MeGA Gardener!

alll my male friends are married so i'm not sure there's anything right in front of me lol

but yeah... i hear everything you said. it'll just take some time. i'm sure i'll feel better next week.

i'm 35 so i was just hoping to be better at this now.

So....I reported that yesterday went well, did I?

Perhaps I spoke too soon...

I had a large cup of tea at breakfast (16 oz).

Picked up an un-sweet iced tea on my way to work (32 oz).

Had 2 tall glasses of iced tea at lunch (16 oz each).

Another 2 tall glasses of iced tea at dinner (16 oz each again).

See where I'm going with this???        ONE HUNDRED TWELVE OUNCES OF CAFFIENE FILLED GOODNESS!!!

Yup! - wide-a-freakin-wake past midnight!!

Ahhhhhh, the lessons we learn!

Don't recall being sensitive to caffeine before. Maybe I wasn't paying attention.

One of my friends dug this up for me...Rachel Tepper, a food editor for Yahoo is also doing a Whole 30 right now and has done blog posts each week.   She just posted her week 3 summary yesterday so she is further along than we are, but she has had some interesting and unusual challenges that make for some entertaining reading if you want to look her up.

I can say one thing, whatever our personal challenges have been, I'm confident none of us have yet opened the mail and found a cereal box with our own face on it.  LOL!

She hasn't been 1,000% perfect which she is up front about, but it's a fun perspective on someone doing this who is literally surrounded by food all day. 

Ruby - sorry for your rough night, but I couldn't help but finding some humor in it. I know myself to be quite sensitive to caffeine. Even a habitual one cup of coffee in the morning will build up over time and eventually I will have to stop the caffeine for awhile to give my system a chance to clear out. I had to back off a month ago, and presently am only drinking coffee on the weekends. Where I thought you were going when you started your post was running to the restroom several times - lol!

Ruby - sorry for your rough night, but I couldn't help but finding some humor in it. I know myself to be quite sensitive to caffeine. Even a habitual one cup of coffee in the morning will build up over time and eventually I will have to stop the caffeine for awhile to give my system a chance to clear out. I had to back off a month ago, and presently am only drinking coffee on the weekends. Where I thought you were going when you started your post was running to the restroom several times - lol!

I laughed about it last night! My son came home about midnight so I got up and visited with him for a while, he is such good company! His meds also arrived in the mail so I was able to give him the shot he was 2 weeks over due to take (at least). One of these days he'll get on top of his condition and actually manage it better. He has Crohn's and needs a Humaria shot every 2 weeks. That stuff has kept the condition in check for a while, so far, so good. He's been diagnosed for about 10 years and no surgery, we'll take it! He is active and well and it's his "magic potion" that keeps him going.Yes, it has potentially awful side-effects - please don't go there - he is enjoying an incredible quality of life and is happy and healthy. At this point, it is the best option, and it is his choice. (BTW - he is 26 , totally informed and capable of making decisions about his own health care himself.)

Archived