Start date June 1

Elissa W

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good job, everyone, on making it through the weekend! DH and I made it, too, and he even went to a graduation party on Saturday. I took a day of rest on Saturday, as I had been dragging all week last week, and I think it really helped. I cooked, of course, but didn't let the kitchen own me, so it was okay. So glad we can say "Happy 15!" I'm just wondering what, of all the changes any of you have had to make to do W30, do you see carrying through post W30? I see the meal template as being extremely important, as it really makes a difference on staying full between meals. I used to come home from work and be ravenous the moment I walked in the door. That hasn't happened since starting W30, and that makes me happy, because I knew that snacking right when I got home was adding unwanted calories. 

We. Are. Halfway. There.  

WooooooHoooooo!!!!  (Is it just me, or did anyone else hear Bon Jovi sing that in their head?)  This is a very exciting day for me, as not only is it our halfway mark, it is also my 15th wedding anniversary! Usually my husband and I do dinner, etc.  When I started this though, I talked to him about wanting to start moving away from celebrating (and commiserating) everything with food.  I felt like it had gotten to the point where if we didn't have something really decadent it was less meaningful.  He agreed we could and so we're going to do a nature walk and possibly a visit to a lovely place in our area where they recreate the past in an historic village with period dress, working farm, blacksmith and all kinds of useful industry.  I haven't been there since I was a kid, and I always loved it.  The houses and other buildings are all authentic period pieces which were dismantled, moved and lovingly restored onsite.  Most of them are from our immediate area, and they offer the wares they create for sale.

Hope everyone has a great day 15!  I know I will - So here's to 15 more successful days (and all the days after) and to 50 + more years with my own true love :wub:  

Happy Day 15 right back!  :)

@Mega, I did not go off plan...by "off roading" I just meant that I did not stick to a recipe the way it was originally written.  I play around a lot in the kitchen so that's nothing new.  Off roading to me means heading out into the unknown on how the dish will turn out because I'm not following the map.  Also by emergency snack, that's a planned something I can take with me in case my day doesn't go as planned and I can't get to the meal I have packed that needs to be warmed up. I work 12 hour days and have nearly two hours in commute time each day so I have to take a lot of my days food with me.  It doesn't mean I'm planning ahead to eat a snack.  Also, following the guidelines of the book for people who work longer hours, I do plan for four meals each day so I have never yet needed to eat anything between meals and that snack would end up being a replacement for a meal if it came to that. 

To give you guys an idea what my day looks like, I usually eat breakfast around 7:00, lunch around 12:30, a small meal around 6:00, and another small meal around 10:00...that will probably sound very late to some of you, but I don't get home from work until 9:30 at the very earliest.  If I didn't plan in that meal around 6:00 I would be going on 10 hours between lunch and dinner.  That's definitely not ideal! 

@Ruby, glad you had a good time!  We are getting that rain here this morning, would have loved to have spent the day curled up with a book.  Somehow dashing through it to WORK made me a lot less giggly.  The pork came together in the end after all, hurrah!  It just needed that last hour.  Today will be the first taste test so we will see how that goes.  I made another batch of mayo and did the cilantro and lime version which I plan to use a dab of that as a topping and eat the pulled pork over Boston lettuce.  It's actually really easy to make at home you should try the Carnitas recipe in the book as a place to start for that.  Sear the meat, add some onion, throw it in a crock-pot for 8 hours or more on low and it cooks to where you can shred it with two forks.  I've done the same with fresh chicken breasts and tons of spices.  With chicken you might want to add some salsa or keep an eye on it since it's a leaner meat even than pork is and can dry out...though usually it does just fine.   Here is the recipe I use for chicken because it's so simple and can be changed up so many ways.  For Whole30 we would need to make sure to use our own spices or find a compliant seasoning blend and also of course use some slightly different toppings and nix the taco shells.  http://www.twohealthykitchens.com/2014/01/08/3-ingredient-crock-pot-chicken-tacos/

Congratulations to everyone in the June 1 Conga Line, time to join in if you are still reading from the sidelines and make the next 15 days just as energetic as the first 15!

And to anyone who is starting over or struggling, I will share my current favorite quote:

OptimistChaCha.jpg

Happy anniversary, vnewtnew! I love your plans for the day - just the sort of thing DH and I like to do, as well, though I can also concur about the special meal - so much of our relationship seems to be based around food. Thankfully that's not ALL of our relationship, though! Also - we have always really enjoyed fresh foods, so W30 has been an encouragement to go more that way. Have a wonderful day!

Congratulations to everyone in the June 1 Conga Line, time to join in if you are still reading from the sidelines and make the next 15 days just as energetic as the first 15!

I want the next 15 days to be far, far more energetic the last 15! :P

Definitely want to try that chicken recipe!

I'm just wondering what, of all the changes any of you have had to make to do W30, do you see carrying through post W30? I see the meal template as being extremely important, as it really makes a difference on staying full between meals. 

I'm with you on the meal template, DonnaB, it really keeps me satisfied so I don't even want to snack.  For me I have come to the realization that added sugar is my kryptonite, so I plan on keeping a tight rein on that.  I want to strive to eat within an hour of waking as much as possible, drink primarily water, and use a huge variety of colorful veggies.  I also want to keep processed foods out of my kitchen.

Thank you for the anniversary wishes  :)

I hope everyone is having a great day!!!

OK folks, who has clarified their butter?  I think the only thing stopping me is, my butter is salted and I don't have cheesecloth!  I'm really not a fan of the Ghee flavor. Yesterday I added salt, but not sure where to add it - in the jar or while melting?  So, two questions - can I use salted butter and do I really need to run it through a cheesecloth - this is vital, vital information.  Also, is clarified butter much like regular butter (tasting) without the dairy?  I rolled a baked potato in olive oil and then in sea salt, baked it for an hour at 425 and it needed nothing else so the butter question is more for cooking than flavoring.  Thanks.

We're half way there!  My blood sugar numbers have never, ever been lower and I owe it all to this program. Actually, it's all me, but if I hadn't spotted the authors on The View while I was eating breakfast in a hotel restaurant (with no sound on I might add) and looked at the beautiful plates of food I could have, I would still be beating myself up about doing nothing!  Searching for the episode was fun and then figuring out who the guests were (Melissa and Dallas) was my life-changing moment.  

Oh, and as I was about to shake Lowry's seasoned salt onto my burger before grilling I read the label - first ingredient SUGAR!!!  Since I've started this and started reading labels I've discovered I either need to wear cheaters all the time or get my contact lenses adjusted.  The ingredients should be as big as the nutritional value - let's start a movement!

Great job Susie

That's a wonderful thing you've done for yourself

I do clarify my own butter I take saucepan put it on lowest heat, place 4 sticks of my unsalted butter and leave it alone maybe 10 mins

I just carefully pour off the clarified butter undisturbed slowly into a Tupperware container and throw out the rest if you want to use a fine strainer it helps too Just don't move it around too much and the dairy solids will stay on the bottom

Great job Susie

That's a wonderful thing you've done for yourself

I do clarify my own butter I take saucepan put it on lowest heat, place 4 sticks of my unsalted butter and leave it alone maybe 10 mins

I just carefully pour off the clarified butter undisturbed slowly into a Tupperware container and throw out the rest if you want to use a fine strainer it helps too Just don't move it around too much and the dairy solids will stay on the bottom

Thanks for the tip - I will try that myself, I'm going to see what happens if I use salted butter.  I've heard the only difference between salted and unsalted is that unsalted is fresher (is that the word? Fresher?  Newer? Younger? ha, seems weird now).  

Thanks for the tip - I will try that myself, I'm going to see what happens if I use salted butter.  I've heard the only difference between salted and unsalted is that unsalted is fresher (is that the word? Fresher?  Newer? Younger? ha, seems weird now).  

Hi, Susie1276. I, too, clarify my own butter, and I use salted butter - 2 sticks at a time. It tends to get a little foamy on top, so I skim the foam off before putting it through the strainer. I also don't think my strainer is as fine as is needed, so I do tend to do like MeGA"gardener" and be careful to leave the milk solids in the bottom of the pan. It's a reasonably easy process, so I would encourage you to give it a try. I wasn't too keen on spending $$ on the ghee, so that was my motivation. Good luck!

Clarified my second batch of butter this weekend - I used the wrong burner and heated it up too fast, it seem to come apart better for the first time. Steady low heat, skim the foam off the top and anything else that floats there, you will see when it starts getting clear - you can actually see the milk solids form and float to the top - it's pretty cool. Then pour through a fine strainer into a jar and let cool.

I think it keeps all it's flavor. I use unsalted butter and add salt to the food to taste. More control that way.

Day 15 - the halfway point!! I'm feeling good but tired. I think in general my energy is up from where it was before starting this program but I've also had added stress at work plus my husband has been away on business so it's just me & my 3 littles. 

In terms of body composition, I don't necessarily see a major difference but I feel lighter. I can't remember if I mentioned this or not but I met with my rheumatologist last week and told her what I've been doing. She agreed to order a whole suite of blood work so we can see what sort of impact this diet has had on my body. I'm also going to repeat the tests again in about 4 months just to see how things change after reintroductions. I'm also going to use my own judgment - if something I eat makes me feel poorly then I'm just simply not going to eat it. 

One last thing to add - I can't tell if this is food boredom or what - but I just don't feel hungry. Like at all. I'm eating and I'm making sure I follow the template but I feel like if I just skipped a meal, I'd be totally fine (I'm not going to though). What gives? 

Hi WholeSue -- I feel the same way, but I'm pretty sure mine is food boredom. I know everyone says "there's a bajillion recipes1!!!!!" but I also just sometimes feel like I can't face another protein and veg meal, no matter how it's seasoned.  

When that happens, I just still eat my meal because this process isn't a lark for me, it's to learn how to truly nourish my body. And no matter how much I think cake or chips or whatever would taste delightful, I know -- oh, I KNOW that those things aren't nourishing for MY body. 

I also already know how every. single. thing. I fantasize about eating tastes, because I've eaten it so many times before. And when I think about it that way, it's not worth giving up even one non-scale victory I'm experiencing to eat some junk I've eaten so many times before.

I feel better than I did one month ago...like 100X better. Also, I'm exercising, which is something I've been loathing myself for NOT doing for so so long. Now, with steady-state energy from W30, I'm just doing it. 

To sum up: I'm feeding myself, which I've historically been bad at. I'm moving my body, which I've also been bad at, and which I need so desperately just to enjoy being alive at all (in terms of mood and mental health). However, I'm bored eating delicious food. So, I'll take this opportunity to examine myself to see what deep pleasure in life I'm missing that's making me want the cheap pleasure that comes from food that is, to me, destructive. 

Have you made homemade mayo? Total game changer IMHO.  I've made tuna with dill pickles on baby romaine and then chic salad with apples and cashews--to die for!! I get the food boredom--I was there last week.  But I'm seeing now that sometimes simple things mixed in with the more labor intensive are a good balance. Tomorrow I'm making "oatmeal" out of nuts and coconut milk....there are so many things out there.  The funk will pass....(:

Archived