Flying back from the Middle East

I'm on day 57 of my Whole90. I'm finishing my Whole90 4 days before I have to move back to the US from the Middle East. My hope is that I keep eating as close to the Whole30 guidelines as I can afterwards. I'm feeling great and I don't want to spoil it by reverting back to my old eating habits!

My biggest problem: the 24 hours of traveling between the Middle East and the US. There are special meals offered by the airline but definitely no way to get a meal that's completely Whole30 compliant. They have a gluten-free meal, a lactose-free meal and a diabetes meal. Should I try to get one of these meals? I'm already thinking the diabetes meal is out because it probably has artificial sweeteners. I've read posts about bringing compliant travel snacks but these aren't available in the town I live in. I could bring cashews, dried/fresh fruit, and fresh veggies. I'm mainly worried about a good protein source. My first flight is almost 15 hours with a stop in Chicago and my second flight is only 1.5 hours to my home. 

Any advice?

tuna? sardines? jerky? Hard Boiled eggs?

I have had luck bringing regular solid foods, through security as long as it is not a liquid or gel. I would pack a regular meal (like a giant delicious salad with freshly cooked protein) and have that early in the trip. Then eat things that can stand to sit for a bit longer later. I haven't tried it, but I've heard a package of frozen peas can work to make a kind of cooler ice-pack if you want to try to hold fresh foods longer. Just make sure whatever you are using for your cooler fits within guidelines for the carry-on or personal item.

Order the best meal you can, but don't count on it (be prepared to be able to eat only one or two items--agreed, diabetes is not the meal to get). Good luck!

Archived