JenX's Post-W30 Log

JenX

Well, I made it. Day 31!  I had a bit of internal conflict on whether I should get on the scale or not this morning. Part of me didn't see the point since I hadn't taken a starting weight (I was too heavy to want to know that number!). Still, I put it back in the bathroom, zeroed it out and got on.  Not too shabby!  I'm back into what, for me, has been my normal average weight for the last 3 years. At best guess, going by the current number and the way my clothes are fitting/my body is looking, I'd guess I lost between 8 and 10 pounds.  I also decided right then that I don't care about that number - I'm much more interested in the fact that I lost in areas that used to be problem areas. The shape of my body seems much better and its so nice to fit back into my wardrobe!

So, 1st day of re-introductions... my goal is to do a super slow roll-out where it comes to most things. I'm very happy eating this way, between the great sleep, stable energy and good moods. I'm also starting to finally see improvement in my workouts and that was hard fought to win. LOL!  Tonight I may reintroduce wine if I want some when I get home - the main purpose being I'm going to a good friend's wedding on Saturday and I'd like to know it's effect on me before I get there so I can decide if I'm drinking or not. My plan is to go back to W30 for the next 2 days (Thursday and Friday). Then, on Saturday,  I'll be eating as close to compliant at the wedding as I can, depending on what's served. 

I'm really not in a hurry to add in anything else - I haven't missed anything!  I guess for the sake of easy cooking/eating out, I should test butter. The only other food I may want to indulge in on occasion is nigiri sushi so I'd need to test white rice, and soy sauce.  Other than that I'll loosen up on the no sugar added rule when it comes to condiments. So, that's my plan and I'm happy with it. As other things arise that I think I may want to include, I'll test those as thoughtfully as I am able.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also went on Amazon today and bought a VacuVin. I don't need my old excuse of "well, that bottle is open so I should finish it before it goes off" anymore. for today:

M1 - 3 fried eggs, veggie hash of onion, mushroom, bell pepper and kale, 1/2 an avocado

postWO - chicken breast with baked yam

M2 - HUGE salad with (1/2 handful) olives and vinaigrette, tuna mixed with mayo and dill pickle

M3 - haven't decided so will include that in tomorrow's update.

M3 last night ended up being 2 turkey burgers in  iceberg with homemade mayo, mustard, pickle, onion and tomatoes, and Zoodles warmed with olive oil, garlic, kalamata olives and tomatoes. I finished dinner, cleaned everything up and then popped the Merriam sauvignon blanc I had chilling for my first re-intro.  I nursed the first glass for an hour (unheard of with me!), then had some water and debated on f I was going to have a second. I know from past experience of cutting wine out for any extended period of time that there is often a tipping point about 1/2 way through that second glass where I either get the munchies, or just keep drinking and I certainly didn't want either of those to happen!  In the end I did decide to have it, and nursed that glass as well. About half way through it started not tasting as good and I should have poured it back and re-corked the bottle. Instead I finished it, had more water, brushed my teeth and went to bed.

This morning, first thing, I assessed how I was feeling and emailed myself notes. Specifically, that email said "Wine test. Hard to stop after one. Harder to stop after 2. Didn't cause munchies but I didn't enjoy it that much either. Tasted sour/bitter and that flavor got more pronounced in second glass. Slept less well than before. Woke up tired, a bit cranky, a slight headache and that dry mouth feeling I hate. "  I now have to add to that my energy is way off as well. I had my hard boiled egg and went out for my run around the neighborhood, just to quit after a mile.  I drove to work still in my workout clothes and gave it another try - sometimes I just need a chance of scenery. After a mile I called that one quits too and went back to the gym to shower and go to work. I'm just not feeling it today and the only thing I changed was the wine so that has to be it. So, I really do want to take this lesson to heart. No more nightly or almost nightly drinking. Wine will need to be reserved for going out with friends on occasion, or special events/occasions if I want to open one of mine. At least if I'm not drinking it all, I can rebuild my cellar stock! 

Back to eating w30 the next 2 days.

preWO - 1hb egg + dab of mayo

M1 - 3 eggs scrambled with ghee, veggie hash w/ potato and bacon

M2 - salad w/ vinaigrette, Kahlua pork, green olives

I think I'll just keep posting M3 notes the following day. 9 times of 10 I don't know what I'm having for dinner until I walk through the door - I try to always have tons of cooked food on hand so I can mix and match at will.

M3 last night was amazing! Reheated leftover roast chicken (leg & thigh), some broccoli with EVOO, S/P. Mushrooms sautéed in ghee with shallot and garlic mixed with leftover roasted Brussels sprouts. Yum!  After dinner, the open bottle of wine was calling to me from the fridge. I had a cup of tea first, but when I still wanted it I decided to go ahead.  2 glasses again, and yes, it was a hard fight not to just finish the bottle but I stopped myself. I also had a piece of the compliant liverwurst with the 1st glass.  This morning, no real issues. My energy was back to normal, I'm not overly hungry or having cravings. Just a bit of dry mouth so I'm drinking lots of tea and water this morning.  My VacuVin showed up from Amazon this morning so hopefully next time I open a bottle I can ignore the siren song, knowing that wine will keep.

M1 - veggie hash with onion, red bell pepper, mushrooms, kale and roasted rutabaga (done in bacon fat), 2 fried eggs (in ghee + schmaltz), 1/2 an avocado.  NOTE:  I had cooked 3 eggs but I was full after 2 and about 3/4ths of the has I had dished out.

M2 - Turkey burger patty. Leftover fried egg from breakfast. Salad with vinaigrette and avocado.

I've been thinking more on how to handle the wedding on Saturday. I'll eat a good breakfast before we leave to SD, and I think I'll pack a lunch that will be filling and travel well like chicken salad. That just leaves the reception dinner, and breakfast the next morning to negotiate. I will allow dairy in the form of butter and cheese and use it as my dairy re-introduction. I think it may just be too hard to avoid at the venue.  I won't, however, gorge myself at the cheese plate! LOL!

So, let's see.  Firstly, Friday [M3] was 3 lamb chops, some leftover roasted potato and leftover Zoodle salad.  Saturday I got up and made a big breakfast of leftover hash with rutabaga, and 2 eggs.  Then the day fell apart. My youngest cat developed a urinary tract blockage overnight. I figured it out about 1 hr before I was supposed to leave for San Diego for the wedding. Called my friend and told her I'd be delayed. Called my vet and they got him in right as they opened at 9. Rushed him over, rushed back home, Threw clothes in a bag and headed out. Only 1 hr later than we planned so not bad, but I had totally forgotten to pack anything for lunch. Luckily I had a kit's organic bar in my purse that was compliant. I had that about 1:30 as I was by then starving (m1 was at 6:30 am!).   We had traffic from hell and what is usually a 2:30 drive was over 3:30. We finally got to the hotel and had to fight with reception to get into a room so we could get ready for the wedding. My friend is so good, the outcome was a free upgrade to a suite AND the hotel sent champagne and chocolate covered strawberries up to the room!  I had a glass of champers while we rushed around getting ready.

I had decided at the wedding I was going to work around the food as best I could and would allow dairy - that worked out fine. I had bacon wrapped scallops and some fruit for an appetizer after the (beautiful!) ceremony. Dinner started with a spinach salad that did have a bit of crumbled cheese on top. For dinner I had ordered the beef - rib-eye that came with mashed potatoes and asparagus. I didn't ask about meat marinades, or the light sauce they had on the beef that looked mostly like pan drippings but may have been thickened a bit. I knew there would be dairy in the mash but I ate it anyway. I skipped the bread, and the cupcakes - honestly they didn't look that good to me.  I'm sure I had too much wine but we were there quite some time and I wasn't drunk when we left. It was a great night!

I woke up yesterday morning at 4am with a raging headache - almost at migraine levels! Sometimes I get that reaction from red wines - I presume from the sulphites in them.  However, then about 40 minutes later I was bent over the toilet purging my system. I didn't know if it was the dairy, the wine (although I wasn't hung-over...I know the difference), or just general body rebellion from all the stress of the cat, the traffic, the wedding, the food, the booze, etc. Anyway I felt queasy all morning. Was able to hold down some ginger tea for breakfast. Had a banana after I got home around 3pm, and made some eggs and shredded hash-brown potatoes for dinner. Today I feel completely normal - no lingering effects. 

one of my other friends was also really not feeling well by the time she got back to LA so we compared what we ate when. The only thing it may have been if it was food poisoning was the fruit. I had a bunch Saturday night, and she had a bunch for Sunday breakfast and her symptoms were running about 8 hrs behind mine so it's possible.

I knew I wouldn't feel stellar the next morning but I wasn't planning on feeling quite that bad! LOL!  Back on W30 for this week to clean up my system and then I can try to re-introduce something else if I want, or repeat Dairy in a real test. What a learning experience!

Before I forget...

pre-WO - 1 hb egg

M1 - veggie hash w/ rutabaga, 1/2 sm avocado, 3 scrambled eggs (only ate 2 of them tho)

m2 - chicken salad, green salad with veggies, vinaigrette and avocado.

m3 - either roasted chicken or pork roast. Cooking both, along w/ Brussels sprouts. sadly I'm out of bacon but i'll have to make due.

6/1 M3 ended up being roasted pork (loin roast - ah-mazing!), roasted Brussels sprouts and potatoes. I also had 1/2 a glass of white, and 1/2 a glass of red during the evening. Considering my stress level  I'm very proud I didn't let the drinking get out of control. In the past I would have, just so I'd lose enough inhibitions to follow the wine up with a binge.

Super late night taking care of the now home yet not fully recovered cat, and a restless night sleep. I did have a 2nd 1/2 glass of red at about 11 b/c I was so stressed I couldn't seem to wind down.  I also woke up at 3 am STARVING and unable to get back to sleep so I had 3 sips of coconut milk from a leftover can.

This morning, I'm dragging but that really is from lack of sleep I think. If I managed 4 hrs altogether, I'd me amazed. Will get to bed early tonight.

M1 - veggie hash (onion, mushroom, bell pepper and spinach); 3 fried eggs (in schmaltz and ghee) and 1/2 a sm avocado

M2 - Salad w/ veggies, vinaigrette and avocado; 2 chicken wings, 1 chicken leg

I skipped my morning run, and was going to go at lunch but I don't  think I have the energy. I'll just walk to the store instead -I need more olive oil. I still have some red wine left open so will probably finish that tonight or tomorrow and then will go strictly W30 until I choose something else to reintroduce. I'm in no rush.

Tuesday M3 - pork curry! I used leftover super-dry Kaluah Pork, a Phuket spice packet (I need to get more, it's devine), coconut milk, onion, carrot, potato, cabbage and broccoli. I also used some fish sauce that DID have sugar in it, coconut aminos, salt and pepper, fresh cilantro and chives.  I curried all the veg first and once the potatoes were soft held back 1/2 of that curry for a second meal, then added the chopped pork into what was left in the pan.  It was so good!!  I can't wait to eat the other half with some chicken or maybe shrimp. Mmmm!  I need to go over to the meal prep board and thank whoever it was who suggested curry as a rescue for that overcooked pork. They were a lifesaver!

I finished the red wine last night - it came in at just over 1.5 glasses.  And I slept rough again so I'm sure that's the wine. Even if I don't drink enough to get buzzed it still affects my sleep.  No more wine for  a bit now that all the opened wine is gone.  I did buy some gluten free beer at TJ's yesterday but (planning ahead) only put one of them in the fridge. I'll give it a try sometime this week/weekend. It's a lager so I don't have high hopes.

M1 - veggie hash leftovers from yesterday, 3 fried eggs, 1/4 avocado. I wasn't very hungry and probably should have stopped at 2 eggs but didn't' want to short myself on protein.

Post WO - chix brst/yam

M2 - going home for lunch so will make something there.

That's it for now. Time to get ready for class.

M2 yesterday - a salad as big as my freakin' head!  seriously, this monster was huge!  mixed greens, tomatoes, cucumber, green onion, green olives, kalamata olives, 1/4 an avocado, meat from one chicken thigh (+skin) and an equal portion of breast meat, home made vinaigrette.  I was starving by the time I got back to work so wolfed the whole thing.  :D 

M3 was turkey burgers (2) on iceberg w/ tomato, pickle, onion, mustard and mayo + zoodles heated w/ tomato, kalamata, garlic and green onion (EVOO).  I also opened a GF beer from the 6-pack I picked up at TJ's. Ick. Nasty. I poured out over half. now, what to do with the other 5 bottles?! I need a party to go to so I can make a donation.  Nothing else to drink from the alcohol spectrum last night, and yes, I slept MUCH better. I never realized wine perked me up in the evenings -  I always thought  it made me sleepy (although I did know it made me sleep poorly). Huh.

This morning was a huge rush. I was up at 5 and had my coffee while I read my book (my usual for 30 minutes in the AM).  The new chore of feeding and getting the picky cat to eat canned food 2x a day is more time consuming than I planned on. All of a sudden I only had about 20  minutes to get the dog up & out, get dressed, eat my PreWO HBE, and cook my breakfast -yikes!  Put the bacon on the stove and minded that while I made mayo, steamed kale, got dressed, etc.Made it out the door just in time to meet my running buddy at 6:30.

After our 3 miles (well, 3.5) I had a palm of chicken breast meat then grabbed a shower. Once dressed I was able to finish breakfast (3 eggs scrambled with the steamed, finely chopped kale in bacon fat, with 1.5 slices of chopped bacon - YUM!) pack up that, and leftover pork & curry for lunch, do the dishes, settle the dog in, medicate the cat, scoop the box, sweep the floors and get out of the house. WHAT A MORNING! Thank god I have tons of energy. whew!

Pre-WO -  1 HB egg

Post-WO - chicken breast

M1 - 3 egg scrambled w/ kale and bacon in bacon fat

M2 - Pork Thai Green Curry

M3  - hmmm, either my CSF fish (salmon) or leftover baked chicken - will update on that tomorrow.

Quick note. It's 3pm and I'm so sleepy I could just lay my head on my desk and nap.  2 things -I did have a bottle of GT 'bucha before lunch (1/2 before, 1/2 after, actually). I also did NOT include a carb with my post-WO snack today, but there was potato  in my lunchtime curry.  Wonder which it was, or if it was a combo of both? 

I think last time I did pre-lunch 'bucha it was the same effect but want to make a note here while I'm thinking about it so I can go back and check if it happens again.

ITS FRIDAY!!  I got to sleep in, make a huge breakfast hash that should last me 2 more days, get things done around the house and even stop at Target on my way into work Lovely morning!  And happy dance... Target carries all the LaCroix flavors in 8pks. yay!!  I got my lime and grapefruit and a new one, Raspberry/cranberry. I can't wait to try it!

Last night, I kindof sort of wanted to open another bottle of wine. My usual "it's Friday, I should treat myself" mentality. Funny, considering it was only Thursday...hmm...   Anyway, I ate my dinner, had my la Croix and had a coffee after dinner w/ coconut milk and was happy as a clam w/o it. I don't need to treat myself. I don' need a reward just for making it through another workday. sheesh.

Today is my dairy reintroduction day.  My original plan was to go downstairs to the Coffee Bean and get a full-fat milk latte but it really didn't sound good so I skipped it. Then I thought I could just put some of those little containers of half & half in my regular coffee. Looked at the package and NOPE! it has carrageenan in it. Plus about 3 other additives. sigh.  I may go down at some point in the late afternoon and get a decaf coffee and use the half & half or whole milk at the coffee shop instead.  ::shrug::  OR I could go to Yogurtland and get some frozen yogurt but that may take too much will power to avoid all the add-ons they have available. Plus the sugar rush will be monumental - not a good way to set me up for the start of a weekend.

M1: veggie hash (onion, bp, mush, kale, spinach, baby chard), 3 eggs fried in schmaltz & ghee, 1/2 avocado

M2: Commissary salad-bar salad W/ CHEESE (whatever kind(s) they have) + chicken salad from home

M3: CSF King salmon, roasted Brussels sprouts & potatoes w/ (N/C) bacon, lemon pepper mayo

I am so looking forward to this weekend. I have no solid plans other than getting in a long run. I'm just going to enjoy being home, gardening, working on projects and hanging w/ my critters.

All there was at the salad bar was shredded moz, and shredded 'cheddar' so I put about 1/4 cup total on my salad. And my stomach is already making some rumbles and I'm starting to get gas.  I'll make a point of including some more dairy later today to see if symptoms are same or worse.

Adding in a decaf from CBTL with a generous pour from the half & half thermos.  Symptoms from lunch went away and may have been caused by the odd green pepper in my salad -I dont' react well to those and know I ate at least one strip.  With this, I've now had the same amount and kinds of dairy that will be in next weekend's quiche so if all is well, I can enjoy a slice. Guess we'll see how I feel in the next 24 hrs or so.

M1- 3 scrambled eggs, veg hash w potato, 1/2 avocado

M2- salad w olives and vinaigrette, 2 turkey burgers in lettuce. 1 omission beer (gluten "removed"). Not bad in flavor. We'll see if it causes any problems.

A second beer, a snack of nori with pumpkin seeds and salt, m3- roasted chicken, cauliflower and yam with ghee, 4 olives. I feel super puffy this morning (eyes, fingers) and even tho I went to bed early I Didn't want to get out of bed - I feel foggy. Plus I'm a bit stuffy and my mid-back hurts. Could have been to much salt but also probably that beer. Good thing I only put 2 in the fridge!

I forgot. I also had a HB egg while I was waiting for dinner.

Headed out for a run and even tho hungry I don't want to have to wait to digest breakfast so keeping it super light.

This morning 1HB egg pre-wo.

M1- pork sausage& hash plus potato, 2 eggs

Run was a bust. Rolled my ankle and had to limp 1 3/4 miles back to the car. Been laid up ever since. I'm officially having a pity party. Had a beer with M2. - tuna salad w veg, and have been working my way through a bottle of white wine. Plus I had air popped popcorn with ghee for a snack. Guess that would be non-gluten grains. Now I want pizza but going to eat a healthy dinner instead. And have more wine. Call it pain killer.

Drank the whole bottle...yep. But other than popcorn I stayed compliant w/ food. No ill effects from the popcorn other than minor bloat from too much salt in combo w/ too much wine. M3 - Chicken quarter, roasted broccoli and potatoes.

---TODAY---

M1 - onion, mushroom, spinach, bell pepper, pork sausage hash, 2 fried eggs, 1/2 avocado

M2 - salad w/ hb egg, chicken breast, 1 hb egg, 1/2 avocado and vinaigrette

Dinner was a continuation of my pity party. I had 1 baby ell cheese (and truly savored it). Dinner was TJ's gluten free 3-cheese pizza (totally not worth it). I ate 2/3rds and the cheese off the rest. Venge scouts honor (2.5 glasses), one palm of pork, no veg. Also ice cream!! I picked the one with the most natural ingredients and enjoyed it.

I slept poorly but that was because I couldn't get comfortable with the boot on. Foot is really sore today. I'm staying home from work.

M1 veg &a sausage hash from yesterday, 2 scrambled eggs in ghee, 1/2 avo, 1 Roma tomato.

I'm still in my w30 phase but thankful I hit on your thread. My reasons for doing the w30 are the same as yours: better sleep, more energy, & mood stability. It's nice to see that you attained it ~ and able to maintain beyond w30!!

Thanks Shusher! I'm trying to make a point of eating my w30 meals even when I choose have off-road things too. For example, yesterday I bought tortilla chips but I didn't even open the bag until right after lunch.  I'm finding that gives me a satiety point so I don't just mindlessly eat or full-out binge like I used to even though something like that (chips) would have been a trigger in the past.

m2 - chicken salad with tons of diced veg on lettuce greens, tortilla chips with compliant salsa, 2 baby bell cheeses - 2 GF beer

m3 - baked chicken, yam, cauliflower, last of the ice cream 2.5 glasses Venge. That's the end of that bottle.

--TODAY--

M1 - 2 eggs fried in schmaltz, veggie hash with sausage

m2 - salad from the salad bar at work, brought in chicken breast, avocado and dressing

There's one beer left in the house. I'll most likely have that tonight after work and then its time for no more booze again. I have a brunch on Sunday so my plan is to stay 100% compliant until then.   

observations - I'm a bit bloated today, probably from the chips/salt, but possibly also from the dairy from the past 2 days. or PMS which is starting right now too. It doesn't help that I really haven't moved at all since sunday. I may have to get on my bike and just pedal with my good foot to raise my heart rate for a bit.  I know what & how I eat will be doubly important to my mood if I cant do cardio. The last thing I want is to slump into a depression.

I am so tired. I'm not sleeping well because of the boot, and everything I do during the day just seems to take so much effort! This morning, all I had to do was wash my hair, get dressed, scoop the cat box and do the dishes and it took me well over 90 minutes, plus I had to go sit down between things.  I know my body is putting all of its energy toward healing, but this is driving me crazy! :angry:    Anyway...I had the last good O-Mission beer last night as I was cooking dinner - I had to render bacon, roast potatoes, BS & onions. Had that with reheated pork and a dollop of mayo. I also made a point to cook off turkey patties so I have food for the rest of this week.

After dinner I had 2 more of the worse GF beers too, but found they're drinkable with lemon. I also had 2 Hershey's dark-chocolate with almond nuggets at work yesterday, and some cheese on my salad. Those and the beer were the only off-road items. The bloating was from the chips (salt, or corn, or both) and that's gone today (the bloat, not the chips - those are still in the cupboard)

I know I need to be patient with myself. I'm going to see if I can get out of here early if it's quiet and get some more rest. I may end up staying home tomorrow too. If I get to tired the cravings will start and will get out of hand.  I have to pick up my fish share today (guess i'll drive over?) and will get a kombucha for a treat.

Quick catch up.  For yesterday [M1] 3 scrambled eggs, sausage & veg hash, no added fat. [.M2] Salad bar salad (greens & assorted veggies, olives, nuts, HB egg)  chicken from home, vinaigrette from home, 1/2 an avocado.  [M3] was 2 turkey burgers on lettuce w/ all the fixings, a good handful of sauerkraut, chips & salsa 2 GF beers. Also another 2+ glasses of red wine last night.  plus the last 2 Baby Bell cheeses. I'm bloated again from the chips. Be interesting to try them again when I don't have PMS and see if effect is the same.

My friend picked up my fish yesterday (so nice of her to offer!) so I missed out on the kombucha, hence the sauerkraut. I had the most normal bm this morning I've had in a long time. Staying gluten free until my bowel heals is looking like a definite need.  It seems to really be helping finally! That plus eating fermented foods on a relatively regular basis. I can't wait for my homemade sauerkraut to finish - at least 1 more week to go.

I was super tired and cranky yesterday. mostly hormones, but also this foot and lack of sleep. It all caught up with me. Left work early and had some time at home w/out the boot, using my crutches instead. that seemed to help. And of course the wine helped my mood... :wacko:  I'm not going to buy more beer when this is gone. I need to get back to zero alcohol again. I wish I was a moderator, but I'm just not. I'm an all or nothing kind of gal.

Archived