Training for a 200 mile Cycle ride

My husband and I are new to the Whole 30 and he is training for the Seattle to Portland 1 day (212 mile) cycle ride... but he needs help with the right mix for pre, during and post rides.  He did 100 miles today and was exhausted only using water and Paleo bars... Suggestions?

What day are you on for your Whole30? It's normal for athletic performance to decline for the first 2-3 weeks of the program until you are fully fat adapted.

What's in the paleo bars he's using? Are they compliant?

He may want to check out ultrarunnergirl's log for endurance fueling ideas (she's another moderator on this forum):http://www.ultrarunnergirl.blogspot.com/p/blog-page.html

Day 6, but the race is in 6 weeks...  Wants to keep to the diet, but is having major energy issues that need to be solved.

I found The Paleo Diet Bar at Whole Foods and it is 100% Whole30 compliant.  I also found Trader Joe's brand Fruit bars in Apple & Mango, Apple & Strawberry and Banana & Coconut that are 100% compliant.  

Like Chris says...the first 2-3 weeks is rough for performance but once he becomes fat adapted he should see a significant increase in performance. Make sure that pre-workout food isn't starchy to help the transition along. The Paleo Diet Bar brand is probably better fuel than the fruit bars but I would 2nd the advice of checking out ultrarunnergirl's log. There are also several discussions about endurance biking and fueling in this section of the forum if you want to look a little more. I wouldn't recommend the Trader Joe's ones. He wants to get his body used to working out with much less available sugar.

Archived