SOS - it's Day 19

Please give me a pep talk. The last 2 days have been hard. I've lost my appetite or maybe my will to eat and have ended up skipping at least one meal each day. Today is rough. Kid woke me at 4:50 (he was scared) and although I made him breakfast, I had no desire to make myself anything. It's now 7:35 and I haven't had anything :-(. I'm going to woman up and go make something now but I'm really struggling.

• Moderators

You're almost done now, just keep going!

It's not unusual to go through a time when you don't feel hungry or when you're just tired of dealing with food. Unfortunately, all you can do is make yourself eat something and just hang in there.

If you're feeling bored with your food, look up some new recipes -- I find www.theclothesmakethegirl.com to be a good source, she uses spices and spice combinations that are unusual compared to my normal ones, and her pictures of her food always look tempting.

Conversely, if it's not that you're bored with your food, but more that you're just tired of dealing with it, go with something simple for a meal or two. Find some compliant hot dogs or sausages to grill, roast some potatoes or sweet potatoes, and have some salad. Add a side of fruit -- I know around here watermelon is coming in season, and to me that always seems like a treat.

This will pass, but you do need to make sure you eat something.

I'm on day 16. Not feeling hungry has happened to me as well several times. I just ride it out and nibble on something refreshing that I like, such as watermelon, which is also hydrating and doesn't feel heavy in my stomach. For me, it's interesting that having hunger on the program is not the eat-the-paint-off-the-walls-if-I-don't-eat-now ravenous feeling I usually got (sugar crashes, I suspect), but a more stable feeling that's just a reminder to eat. 

If you're overwhelmed, how about salad?  Buy this at the store:  Bag o' lettuce, grape tomatoes, red bell pepper, carrots, avocado or olives, meat that's easy to cook (chicken breast, say), olive oil, vinegar.  Take it home, chop, mix, eat.  You can even get most of the raw ingredients at a salad bar if you want someone else to do the chopping for you.

If it's more a problem of boredom, how about chicken curry?  It's surprisingly quick and easy, and tastes great.

And if it's a problem of The Rest Of Life Has Taken Over The World, well...  how about boiled eggs, almond butter on a banana, and a few carrot sticks?  Or are your stress levels so high that you can't physically make yourself eat?  That's happened once in my life, and if you're there, well, I suggest breathing.  In.  And out.  Several times in a row.  And then a bit of tea.

ThyPeace, lost 30 pounds in a very short time.  It wasn't even remotely fun or pretty.  And the bounce-back was horrific once I could eat again, because I was ONLY eating comfort foods.

Archived