Nursing and meal timing help!

New here and in the planning stages for my first whole30. Still nursing my little guy--he will turn 1 late this month, so plan to start after his party. I read that nursing moms need 4 template meals a day (which makes sense because I feel like I eat ALL the food while nursing!). Can someone help me with the timing? What I do currently is to wake up and run, then eat breakfast, lunch, snack, dinner, snack, bed. The goal is to not snack between, right? Or is that ok for nursing moms?

Would my Whole30 plan look something like Run, PostWO, then meal 1, 2, 3, 4? Or does nursing permit an afternoon snack between 2 and 3 ("lunch" and "dinner"?) assuming I'm hungry, I suppose (which, maybe I won't be?).

Also I was planning to do "meal 4" at the same time my normal "snack" is just before bed... he nurses quite frequently overnight still, and I run first thing in the morning, so currently I feel like I "need" this extra bit of fuel to last me until breakfast (or, soon-to-be "postWO"). I can't do a "preWO" because of a medication conflict so plan to continue running fasted as per usual.

Is it okay to eat "meal 4" within an hour or so before bed? Or is that much too late? I read in another post that someone suggested a bowl of hearty soup and that sounded divine and satisfying without trying to be too much like a snack/dessert. I think that would really work for me. Just want to make sure I don't sabotage myself on the plan with such a late meal.

Thanks for wading through all this, appreciate any advice!

My schedule is different than yours, but here's what I do:

My daughter has been waking me up between 5:00 and 5:15 AM to nurse. I eat breakfast around 6, lunch at 10, "tea"/second lunch between 1:00 and 2:00 PM (depending on my daughter's nap schedule), and dinner at 5:30 PM. My girl's last "feed" is around 7:30 PM, and I don't plan to eat anything afterwards. I usually feel "empty" when I go to bed, but not hungry. If I'm feeling truly hungry, I'll eat a hard boiled egg at bedtime.

I'm sure a mod will weigh in, but if I were you, I'd probably do a post-workout meal and then a proper breakfast an hour or so later. I'd aim for a template meal every 3-1/2 to 4 hours. I'd make sure my last meal was generous, and have some plain protein or a mini (half-template) meal at bedtime if I felt the need.

I'll also say that if a hearty soup at bedtime sounds doable and appealing, try it and see how it works for you! That sounds like a delicious, nourishing option, especially if you're breastfeeding through the night.

• Administrators

Noelle's advice surrounding timing seems sound.  I would comment that nursing moms are exempt from the "snacking" rule but not from what we discourage as snacks.  Still no fruit alone, nothing that is hand to mouth "grazey" and we don't recommend gnoshing all day long.  Pair your protein with a fat and some veggies and have a mini meal if you aren't going to eat another full meal.

Archived