Starting June 12!!

TCans

Yeah, I was annoyed at the Emergen-C, but it was a mindless mistake rather than an intentional cheat, and I don't feel that I lost all of the benefits I felt through that first bit. But I want all the benefits of the Whole 30 days, so I don't mind going the extra days. I'm still feeling great!

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Boadicea- that Emergen-C thing is annoying, but I like the way you aren't beating yourself up about it and just going to carry on! Good for you. You're sticking to the idea and being as diligent as you can be. 

Kmg - you've had a weekend full of challenges and sounds like you came through it wonderfully!! Good for you! Don't apologize for your long posts  - we're here to support each other. It makes me feel better too to come here and write down how I'm feeling/dealing. And when others do this - I'm motivated cause I know I'm not alone in this challenge.

Ck- How amazing your sister said that about grilling chicken for you! Family and food is a tricky situation for people (well, for me anyway) and those are the times its easy to falter back into those old, well ingrained habits and self talk. 

I have to say that I'm pretty proud of myself for making it through this weekend without giving in to sugar or alcohol. Oh I wanted to sooooo badly - don't get me wrong. I had to excuse myself to bed last night earlier than I wanted to cause I felt my resolve slipping as evening moved into night. I ate more cashews and almonds than I know I should have, but  that's was my go to snack.  

Went on a 10 mile bike ride this evening and had the energy to actually get through it. This is the first time in 10 days I've felt that I could so I'm hoping that with tomorrow being day 11, I = we've turned the corner and are past the energy swings and fatigue. I'm ready for my body to do some serious fat adaption and fat burning!!

I'm going to list some of the foods I've made from the book and ask that all of you do as well. I've been very pleased and surprised how good all of the recipes have turned out.

Made the Butternut Squash Soup and it's delish!

The Spinach Fritata is also very good (can't wait for it for bfast in the morning) Most of you have already said this one and said it was good but I was skeptical - even my hubs liked it!!

The Tomato Sauce is going to a double batch this week for some easy leftovers!

Pork Chops with Applesauce was good but I didn't care for the applesauce in leftover form. 

Didn't mean to go on and on... Have a good evening and a good Monday!

The Whole30 isn't terribly different from our regular eating style, so I've basically been adapting my own recipes as necessary. I did try this chili, which I found really satisfying - http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2009/02/22/my-favorite-chili-recipe/

This morning I had a 3 egg omelette to which I added quite a lot of lightly steamed summer squash and zucchini, and I've got halibut for dinner!

Have a great day!

@TCans - congrats on the weekend AND the bike ride! That's awesome! I hear ya on wanting to indulge in a drink or two. I miss the weekend kickback. I do have to say though, I was able to get up nice and early Sunday morning and have a productive day whereas my friends spent the day nursing themselves back to health :)

@cknits - that's so great that your family is jumping on the support train! It certainly makes family dinners/holidays a LOT easier.

I too feel like my energy is coming back a little bit. I went on a 3 mile run yesterday and I was discouraged because I was starting out pretty slow in my first mile (13:30) but my second mile was better (11:30) and my third was even better than that (10:15)! Pre-whole30 and in my prime running state I was between a 10 and 11 minute mile so I am feeling good about the numbers. 

I know I'm not supposed to be focusing on weight loss with this but I am struggling with the fact that I can't tell if it's having an impact on my weight. I feel stronger, my recovery time is shorter, my sleep is better, but my pants aren't as loose as I'd like them to be. As I've mentioned before, my stomach is my problem area and although I know it'll be the last to go, I'm getting impatient. I'm having annoying thoughts about whether or not I'm eating too much, which I think is a product of so many years of calorie/point counting. Is anyone else experiencing better results in this department? Let me know what you all think about my meals:

M1: 1.5 cups of chicken salad, 1 egg, 3 cups of mixed sugar snap peas, green beans, broccoli, radishes, strawberries, cauliflower with balsamic vinegar and olive oil, coconut milk in my coffee.

M2: 1/3 lb hamburger, 1 egg, yellow pepper, 3 cups of mixed sugar snap peas, green beans, broccoli, radishes, strawberries, cauliflower with balsamic vinegar and olive oil.

M3: not sure yet - supposed to go out to dinner with my mom so probably a salad with a protein and I'll add avocado for fat.

Anything look off?

Happy Day 11 to everyone! 

I know I'm not supposed to be focusing on weight loss with this but I am struggling with the fact that I can't tell if it's having an impact on my weight. I feel stronger, my recovery time is shorter, my sleep is better, but my pants aren't as loose as I'd like them to be. As I've mentioned before, my stomach is my problem area and although I know it'll be the last to go, I'm getting impatient. I'm having annoying thoughts about whether or not I'm eating too much, which I think is a product of so many years of calorie/point counting. Is anyone else experiencing better results in this department? Let me know what you all think about my meals:

M1: 1.5 cups of chicken salad, 1 egg, 3 cups of mixed sugar snap peas, green beans, broccoli, radishes, strawberries, cauliflower with balsamic vinegar and olive oil, coconut milk in my coffee.

M2: 1/3 lb hamburger, 1 egg, yellow pepper, 3 cups of mixed sugar snap peas, green beans, broccoli, radishes, strawberries, cauliflower with balsamic vinegar and olive oil.

M3: not sure yet - supposed to go out to dinner with my mom so probably a salad with a protein and I'll add avocado for fat.

Anything look off?

Happy Day 11 to everyone! 

Hey there

Great that you're getting your running mojo back - it's always a struggle in those early days, but it always comes back around again.

Re the weight thing... As you know this is not a diet. Weight loss, if it happens, is a bonus side effect of eliminating crap & eating wholefoods. If you've weight to lose it'll come off in it's own good time - and that's rarely within the first two weeks. Your body is still adjusting to the new regime - allow some time for your hormones to settle, and your body to realize this isn't a temporary thing.... The magic usually really starts to happen towards the end of the program.

Your meals don't look to bad to me - if anything I'd say they're a little light on fat.

Also, you don't mention liquids, but be sure to drink 1/2 ounce of water per lb of body weight.

Re the weight thing... As you know this is not a diet. Weight loss, if it happens, is a bonus side effect of eliminating crap & eating wholefoods. If you've weight to lose it'll come off in it's own good time - and that's rarely within the first two weeks. Your body is still adjusting to the new regime - allow some time for your hormones to settle, and your body to realize this isn't a temporary thing.... The magic usually really starts to happen towards the end of the program.

Your meals don't look to bad to me - if anything I'd say they're a little light on fat.

Also, you don't mention liquids, but be sure to drink 1/2 ounce of water per lb of body weight.

Thank you for this! I did forget to mention water - I've been trying to get in 100 ounces which well meets the criteria for 1/2 ounce of water per lb of body weight. When I look at it objectively, it has only been 11 days. On any diet I've been on I don't think 11 days has been long enough to really do anything and if it did, I wasn't feeling very well/strong. I just need to be patient...sigh...

I'll try throwing some avocado in with M2 today. Thanks again!

I am so thrilled with all the support on this forum. Thank you!

TCans- Impressive bike ride. After reading how much you liked the Butternut Squash Soup, I'm going to make it this week. It's nice to hear which recipes people like and don't.

kmg4805- How long have you been a runner? I have always wanted to get into running and admire those who do. I may just try taking it up after all.

boadicea- Thanks for the chili recipe link. How do you like preparing your halibut? I need some new ways to make fish.

NieceyLee- Your posts are so positive and enjoyable to read. So glad to have you here.

I bought a few new La Croix water flavors when I was in Minneapolis over the weekend. The cherry lime was good and the coconut flavor is wonderful (if you are a coconut lover).

Yesterday I finally made the mayo recipe from the book. It really does taste better than jarred. I threw our my jar of it and will only use this in the future for all of us in the family. It took no time at all to make, and that light taste with the touch of lemon to it is good. I used it to make chicken salad.

I like to do as little to fresh fish as possible, cknits, so I'll just salt and pepper it and broil it. I might make a bit of salsa to go on the side. I have heard chicken salad mentioned several times today, so I'm thinking that's what I'll make for tomorrow. And I definitely need to get some sparkling water as it's been quite sticky here. I've never tried the La Croix flavoured waters, but that sounds delicious!

I like to do as little to fresh fish as possible, cknits, so I'll just salt and pepper it and broil it. I might make a bit of salsa to go on the side. I have heard chicken salad mentioned several times today, so I'm thinking that's what I'll make for tomorrow. And I definitely need to get some sparkling water as it's been quite sticky here. I've never tried the La Croix flavoured waters, but that sounds delicious!

I will have to try broiling my fish like you do. The only time I've used my broiler for fish is for salmon cakes. Sometimes I season and grill it and other times I season fish, then put lemon slices all over it, then bake it.

I really like the La Croix water. The carbonation and flavor makes me not miss my old Caffeine Free Diet Coke, which I drank way too much of before this.

Happy Day 12!

@cknits - I've been running for a little over three years now. Previous to that, if anyone had told me that I'd one day enjoy it I would've thought they were nuts. However, a friend of mine convinced me to do a 5k with her and I found the "Couch-to-5k" program online that was really simple to follow and built my confidence/endurance bit by bit.  You can read more about it here: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml. You can modify the program to your comfort level - I repeated weeks until I felt comfortable with my performance. The one thing I've learned about running is that it's mostly mental. If you think you can, you can. Just go slowly. 

How's everyone feeling today? I woke up pretty exhausted today. Not totally sure why. It has been pretty humid here but I'm used to that so I'm thinking it has something to do with the whole30. I never really felt the expected daze in the beginning and I'm wondering if it's catching up with me? 

Hope everyone is doing well!

Happy Day 12!

@cknits - I've been running for a little over three years now. Previous to that, if anyone had told me that I'd one day enjoy it I would've thought they were nuts. However, a friend of mine convinced me to do a 5k with her and I found the "Couch-to-5k" program online that was really simple to follow and built my confidence/endurance bit by bit.  You can read more about it here: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml. You can modify the program to your comfort level - I repeated weeks until I felt comfortable with my performance. The one thing I've learned about running is that it's mostly mental. If you think you can, you can. Just go slowly. 

How's everyone feeling today? I woke up pretty exhausted today. Not totally sure why. It has been pretty humid here but I'm used to that so I'm thinking it has something to do with the whole30. I never really felt the expected daze in the beginning and I'm wondering if it's catching up with me? 

Hope everyone is doing well!

tr

Thanks for the running info and link. I'll check it out. Going at it slowly sounds just right for me.

Woke up this morning with a headache behind one eye. Feels like sinuses. More annoying than painful.

I made some salt and vinegar wings last night. So simple, just dusted with Old Bay seasoning and then baked until crispy skinned, then dipped in a salt and white vinegar mixture. Almost as good as Sam's Club's tequila lime wings that are a no-no.

I'm a runner, too! And I think you're quite right about the mental aspect, and about slowing down whenever that needed. It's been a bit sticky here the last few days, and slowing down makes for a nice run on those sorts of days.

I was more tired yesterday, but I chalked that up to the stickiness. I felt good today.

@cknits - the wings sound delicious! Do you have a recipe you could share or did you make it up? Yum!

@boadicea - I think the stickiness here definitely has something to do with my fogginess. Also, on Sunday night I ate a bunch of fruit while everyone else was eating cake and I'm wondering if the sugar in the fruit gave me a hangover the next day? I probably shouldn't have had it at all but watching everyone eat Father's Day cake (german chocolate cake - one of my favorites) was killing me. I am definitely feeling more energetic today. What do you typically eat before your runs for fuel?

Happy Day 13, everyone!!!

@kmg4805 - Ouch, german chocolate cake is my favourite, too! I've had a bit of fruit, but it's mostly been with a meal. When we first started, I found that raw carrots really helped me when I was hungry between meals or when I was fighting some sort of craving. I usually eat a handful of almonds before a run, and I've been keeping my runs at <5 miles and not at a high intensity, and I slowed down even more for the heat. I haven't really found that I needed a post workout meal, and I usually run in the evenings, so dinner is not far off.

The mugginess has clear out here, and it looks to be a brilliant day today!

Happy day 14!! How is everyone doing?

I'm going to confess the last couple of days have been rough for me. I haven't broken my food commitment but I did weight myself yesterday morning. :(

I thought it would give me motivation to keep going but in fact it made me feel worse. I spent the whole day fighting that self body hate- talking to myself and hating myself. Exactly what it says in the book about why you shouldn't focus on wt is exactly how I felt. :(

Now, I did make it through the day. So for that I'm proud of myself. And I'm determined to see this through. My intestinal issues are resolving and for that I'm so happy.

I JUST WANT SOME CHOCOLATE!!!

There- I said it.

SO

this morning I opened a can of coconut milk and am having some in my coffee for the first time. I'm hoping that little bit of sweet will satisfy.

I will stick to this!!!

Thanks for listening and for your support.

I'm going to confess the last couple of days have been rough for me. I haven't broken my food commitment but I did weight myself yesterday morning. :(

I thought it would give me motivation to keep going but in fact it made me feel worse. I spent the whole day fighting that self body hate- talking to myself and hating myself. Exactly what it says in the book about why you shouldn't focus on wt is exactly how I felt. :(

Now, I did make it through the day. So for that I'm proud of myself. And I'm determined to see this through. My intestinal issues are resolving and for that I'm so happy.

There- I said it.

SO

this morning I opened a can of coconut milk and am having some in my coffee for the first time. I'm hoping that little bit of sweet will satisfy.

I will stick to this!!!

If you're craving something sweet that little bit of sweet will only serve to feed the craving. Starve it with fat.

I'll not mention the scale episode.

@Tcans - Good for you for sticking with it even through the rough bits! I've found that iced coffee was a big treat on a couple of days. And perhaps you could treat yourself in some non-food way; for me, that might mean a massage.

I hope everyone has a great day today!

There- I said it.

SO

I will stick to this!!!

You are not alone! I've been struggling too and although I haven't done it yet, the temptation to weigh myself has been driving me nuts! Every morning I wake up and I have the dialogue with myself, "should I do it? No, don't do it. You'll be so discouraged if it hasn't moved. But shouldn't I know whether or not I'm doing this right? NO NO NO!" My fiance thinks I'm nuts. Another confession, after Sunday evening watching everyone eat German chocolate cake and eating my fruit that I knew was discouraged if not forbidden, I went home and cried. I felt like I was mourning the loss of German chocolate cake! I am so with you.

My pants still feel tight and my stomach still feels bloated. I have a rash on my chest and face that appeared out of nowhere. HOWEVER, I am determined to see this through. I keep telling myself that I have to have faith in the process and accept the fact that I have a lot of years of eating pizza and drinking wine to recover from and in the grand scheme of things, it has only been 2 weeks. I think we need to be a little easier on ourselves and give our poor bodies some time to figure out what we're doing to it. HANG IN THERE! WE GOT THIS! I know jmcbn is going to yell at me for saying this but coconut milk is delicious! I stick a can in the fridge for a night and then I blend the whole can and store it as "coffee creamer". I don't put anything in it, but after blending it and sticking it back in the fridge it gets really frothy and creamy. I blend it with my coffee and throw a cinnamon stick in it which adds another touch of deliciousness. It counts as fat, right!? :)

@cknits - thank you for the recipe! I'm definitely going to try it as soon as I finish off my chicken salad and pulled pork. 

@boadicea - I'm scheduled for a massage this Saturday! It's a perfect reward!

We're rocking it, Team Six-Twelve!

...after Sunday evening watching everyone eat German chocolate cake and eating my fruit that I knew was discouraged if not forbidden, I went home and cried. I felt like I was mourning the loss of German chocolate cake! I am so with you....

My pants still feel tight and my stomach still feels bloated. I have a rash on my chest and face that appeared out of nowhere. HOWEVER, I am determined to see this through. I keep telling myself that I have to have faith in the process and accept the fact that I have a lot of years of eating pizza and drinking wine to recover from and in the grand scheme of things, it has only been 2 weeks. I think we need to be a little easier on ourselves and give our poor bodies some time to figure out what we're doing to it. HANG IN THERE! WE GOT THIS! I know jmcbn is going to yell at me for saying this but coconut milk is delicious! I stick a can in the fridge for a night and then I blend the whole can and store it as "coffee creamer". I don't put anything in it, but after blending it and sticking it back in the fridge it gets really frothy and creamy. I blend it with my coffee and throw a cinnamon stick in it which adds another touch of deliciousness. It counts as fat, right!? :)

We're rocking it, Team Six-Twelve!

Ok, a couple of things here:

Your German Chocolate cake is not gone forever - you have no need to mourn it's loss. You were probably at that hard & emotional stage when so many people quit so good on you for sticking with it.

Re your pants still feeling tight etc etc.... let's be realistic here. It's been two weeks, and it's not two week program - it's a 30 day program. How many diets have you tried in the past that you lost weight on in two weeks. And also, this is not a diet, this is about making changes to improve your health - you need to lose that diet mentality. Do NOT step on that scale!!! 

Coconut milk IS delicious, I agree. It's just not what you want for fighting a sugar craving - because although it's a fat, it's also very sweet. 

And yes, you're rocking it.

Ok, a couple of things here:

Your German Chocolate cake is not gone forever - you have no need to mourn it's loss. You were probably at that hard & emotional stage when so many people quit so good on you for sticking with it.

Re your pants still feeling tight etc etc.... let's be realistic here. It's been two weeks, and it's not two week program - it's a 30 day program. How many diets have you tried in the past that you lost weight on in two weeks. And also, this is not a diet, this is about making changes to improve your health - you need to lose that diet mentality. Do NOT step on that scale!!! 

Coconut milk IS delicious, I agree. It's just not what you want for fighting a sugar craving - because although it's a fat, it's also very sweet. 

And yes, you're rocking it.

Lol, thank you. I am over the mourning phase for German Chocolate cake. You are absolutely right - I have never been on a diet that has yielded positive results in 2 weeks that are sustainable. I have lost weight in 2 weeks on diets before but I've also gained that weight back pretty quickly as it was done through lame point counting or calorie counting. I promise I won't weigh myself until Day 37 ( I had that shelled pea incident so I'm adding on the extra 6 days to make up for it)!

You're our honorary "Team Six-Twelve" member, jmcbn! Thanks for supporting us!

Archived