Starting June 12!!

TCans

I haven't tried the bbq sauce yet. I am thinking of making this one froom Nom Nom Paleo, but switching out the apple juice for apple cider to use on some ribs: http://nomnompaleo.com/post/44473388426/smashed-steak-skewers-with-cherry-barbecue-sauce

The idea of it having cherry and ginger in it really sound good to me.

I've never had kombucha begore. I fact I had never heard of it until a couple of weeks ago. It might be just the thing for the 4th when the others are having wine or beer. Thanks for the heads-up on where to find it.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 19! We've almost broken into another decade! 

I'm trying things a little differently today as my energy has been low for a while. I've upped my fats a bunch per the recommendations from a couple moderators and I'm hoping that will help. Of course this makes me nervous because I'm afraid I'm going to gain weight from this. Some days I feel slimmer, some days I feel bloated. It's quite clear to me that my body needs beyond 30 days to adjust to this new system. If I wait until my first bridal shower, it will be 44 days. I'm thinking that is my new goal. I'm not sure if I will even indulge on the shower because I don't know the menu but I'd like to see how I feel at that point. My sister and best friend are coming into town a couple days before so there is a slight chance that I may only make it until Day 42. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. 

I hope all is well! :)

Good afternoon all! If you've never roasted cauliflower before you have to try it. I will not be going back to steaming it again. I've been roasting carrots and beets for some time now, but hadn't tried cauliflower until last night. Tonight I am going to see how it tastes with broccoli.

I have been trying to up my water consumption today. I think that's why I have been hungrier the last few days. Looking back, I am not drinking enough.

kmg- How exciting that you have bridal showers and a wedding coming up! I think your thought to play it ear is very smart.

@cknits - Roasted broccoli is fabulous! Molly Stevens has a great Blasted Broccoli recipe in All About Roasting that's drizzled with Kalamata Vinaigrette:

1 garlic clove, minced

1 anchovy fillet, minced

2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice

1/4 cup kalamtata olives, pitted & chopped

2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

salt and pepper to taste

I use one of my immersion blender attachments to blend everything up. It's yummy!

We made it to Day 20! How is everyone feeling about the 4th? Upping my fats yesterday definitely helped with my energy levels. I think I'm going to cut nuts out for the next 22 days. I have relied on them as fats but they don't satisfy my fat cravings as much as olives and avocado.

@cknits - roasted cauliflower is sooooo good! I am so with you on that. I have not made the ranch dressing yet. I've been hesitant to make the bbq sauce, ketchup, and ranch because I'm afraid that I will be disappointed if they don't taste like the condiments I'm used to. That's probably a dumb reason but I've been so happy with all of the food thus far and I don't want to feel like I've "healthified" an old favorite. However, the mayo is delicious so I"m probably making a big deal out of nothing. Let me know if you make it!

@boadicea - that vinaigrette sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing!

Enjoy the day!

HAPPY DAY 20!!!!  We're totally rocking this thing!!

kmg- I get what you said yesterday about feeling different one day to the next. I'm feeling the same way and I think this is my body image issues working themself out of my brain. I have finally gotten past the need to weight myself and it feels really good - liberating! And I know that no matter how I'm feeling, bloated or thinner, I'm sticking to the program so I'm doing what I'm suppose to be doing for a healthy me!!

B- I'm definitely going to try the broccoli recipe, it looks so good. I bet that would go good over brussel sprouts too.

OK, I'm gearing myself up for Friday and Saturday's cookouts.  I did great a couple of weekends ago and can this time too, right?

I like the idea of upping fats in the morning of both days and drinking lots and lots of water with lemon. I must confess that I'm missing my occasional glass of whiskey so there will be LOTS and LOTS of water with lemon.  I'm going to eat before I go on both outings and take some sliced cucumbers with me to munch on. Unfortunately, Friday's place is the most  unhealthy conscientious place any of us could imagine going to. Lots of fats, lots of sugar, lots of YUCK!! the next day. It wont be worth it but will be a bit tempting. I will keep talking to myself and know I can avoid any pitfalls. Afterall, I've gotten this far and don't want to start over again!!  

Saturday's will be easier to get through but will still do the same as above. 

BTW- the cold thai salad has been wonderful this week for lunch. I top it with a handful of leftover pork carnitas and it makes a filling lunch.

Have a great day all!!

You are all doing fantastic and inspire me and keep me going - thank you!!

@TCans - Eating before the cookouts is a great strategy! I would be inclined to take more than sliced cukes along for something to nosh. I've found raw carrots and baked sweet potatoes (even when cold) very satisfying, and, if the food there will be seriously tempting, it might also be worth taking along something delicious that is also compliant - chilled shrimp or compliant chicken salad, for example. And you're exactly right: having come this far, one doesn't want to have to start over!

We don't really go out to cookouts or other 04 July celebrations, although we do watch fireworks sometimes; mostly, it's a reminder to me that my birthday (08 July) is just around the corner!

@TCans - I have been craving a margarita with a salted glass so badly! LOTS of water with lemon for me too this weekend! You're doing great and your plan for this weekend sounds solid! We are all so in charge! I love it!

@boadicea - a very close friend of mine's birthday is also on July 8! Very cool! :)

It's time for me to start upping my running game. I am running a 5k on July 19th and I want to test out this new fat-burning machine! 

Non-alcoholic cheers to everyone's success! 

boadicea- The kalamata vinaigrette was really good on the roasted broccoli. Thanks for letting me know about it.

kmg- My reason for not making the ranch dressing yet is the same as yours. I really want to like it and am afraid it may not hold up to the Hidden Valley Ranch I am used to. I am going to make it to take with me on the 4th. It'll be goof for raw veggies and salad.

TCans- Your Thai salad sounds great, and filling, too. I need to prep more for when I don't have leftovers available for lunch.

I am in charge of dessert for the 4th. I am always on dessert for any holiday I don't host. My plan is to make a fruit salad and then to make brownies for the kids. Before this I would have done pies, but I'd be tempted to have a slice, so I changed my plan to make the brownies as I am not fond of them unless they are blondies.

Thank you all for being so helpful and supportive. I love it!

DAY 21! WE ARE TOO COOL FOR SCHOOL!

@cknits - definitely let me know how the ranch turns out! 

@boadicea - the 5k is in the city I live in but the course goes through our zoo so we can all wave to th animals as we run by! :)

I may be crazy but I swear after upping fats I feel slimmer...it could just be the days passing too. I'll take it! 

Enjoy the day!

kmg- I'm making the ranch tomorrow, so I'll let you know how it tastes. Running through the zoo sounds like great fun.

It's a gorgeous day here. Everyone seems to be out running errands. You'd think it was Black Friday by the traffic. I did grab some delicious black grapes at Sam's Club. I can't find the black ones everywhere and they are my favorites.

Okay, off to make some guac for my burger tonight. Have a lovely evening!

Happy day 22 all!!

Run in the zoo does sound like fun - good for you kmg!!!

B - your comment a few days ago got me thinking that yes, cuke slices might have worked a couple of weeks ago, but I dont think it will work today and tomorrow so I just made a huge bowl of the cold thai salad to take along today and tomorrow. It's filling and pretty satisfying so I think it'll do great. Plus I figure with all the goodies at both places, no one will eat it and it'll be there for me to eat all of!! Good Whole30 thinking huh?  ;)

I confess, last night, I really wanted a glass of my favorite whiskey. I only have a glass every couple of weeks and with yesterday being my "Friday" I almost did it. Thankfully, hubs helped me through it and I put it away. Instead I had a glass of ice water with lemon. I'm also taking all's advice here and making sure I'm getting my fats in - this is a constant challenge for me. Glad some of you are feeling thinner. I'm not sure how I feel and am trying to NOT think about it lest I am tempted to get on the scale too early.

Off for a bike ride this morning to help me center and ground myself for the day. I wish all of you a successful day with anything that comes your way.

Team Six Twelve Rocks!!!!

Happy afternoon all! I made the ranch dressing from the book today and it is good. One change I would make next time is to use slightly less lemon in the mayo that goes into it. It isn't an exact match for my beloved Hidden Valley ranch, but it really good on my carrots and will be good for my salads tonight and tomorrow.

So, my husband goes to Menard's (hardware store) today and comes home with a case of La Croix water in Apricot flavor. I never even knew they made that one and I am an apricot lover so I am excited to try it. I am going to wait until tomorrow when everyone else is having their wine and beer, so it feels like I am having something "special" too.

Excellent week-end weather here, and delightfully cool nights! I have been drinking lots of sparkling water over the past few days, but I haven't come across the La Croix apricot, which sounds wonderful. I got a spiraliser, which I'm excited to try!

• Moderators

kmg- I love turkey meatballs, but I need to make them differently to be compliant. I usually put shredded parm cheese in them instead of bread crumbs like my mom does. What do you add to your ground turkey?

I realize this is several days late now, but I just thought I'd throw this out there if you like meatballs -- this Asian Meatball recipe from Nom Nom Paleo is really good -- I made it with turkey to take to a potluck, and I made it with either beef or pork for myself, I can't remember now, but they were good both times. The second time I made them, I cooked the sweet potatoes first because I felt they didn't cook through the way the recipe has them and I didn't like them crunchy. I baked a sweet potato and peeled it and just mashed it up with the other ingredients once it was cool enough to handle. If you don't have fish sauce, you could skip it, or maybe used mashed up anchovies instead.

The Clothes Make The Girl has several meatball recipes too, and her book Well Fed 2 has a whole section called something like Burgers, Bangers, and Balls which is just a bunch of variations to make meatballs/burger patties/sausages (using this nifty hamdogger tool, if you're really into kitchen gadgets). 

I realize this is several days late now, but I just thought I'd throw this out there if you like meatballs -- this Asian Meatball recipe from Nom Nom Paleo is really good -- I made it with turkey to take to a potluck, and I made it with either beef or pork for myself, I can't remember now, but they were good both times. The second time I made them, I cooked the sweet potatoes first because I felt they didn't cook through the way the recipe has them and I didn't like them crunchy. I baked a sweet potato and peeled it and just mashed it up with the other ingredients once it was cool enough to handle. If you don't have fish sauce, you could skip it, or maybe used mashed up anchovies instead.

The Clothes Make The Girl has several meatball recipes too, and her book Well Fed 2 has a whole section called something like Burgers, Bangers, and Balls which is just a bunch of variations to make meatballs/burger patties/sausages (using this nifty hamdogger tool, if you're really into kitchen gadgets).

Thanks, Shannon, for the links and the meatballs tip. I will try making them with the mashed up sweet potato in them. I have never been let down by Nom Nom Paleo recipe yet. And I have to admit that I'd never heard of a hamdogger before and had to check it out.

I'm proud of myself for how well I did yesterday. There was temptation everywhere. I had a grilled chicken breast with grilled veggies, some raw carrots and grape tomatoes and broccoli, a salad and fresh fruit for dinner. The cocktails they were mixing with the fresh cut lime me in them looked really refreshing, but I drank lemon water instead.

Hi!! Happy Day 24!!!!  

I am so proud of all of us for going through this change and doing the absolute best we can each day. The last two days were SUPER filled with temptations and I only took a small (fingertip size) smudge from a piece of sugar free cake at yesterdays party. I can't help it, the dime size smudge got on my finger as I was cutting a piece of cake for a wee one and before I could think about it, it was in my mouth. Well, I decided that I'm not going to beat myself up about it, but be honest with myself and all of you.  :)

Other than that I did fantastic!! I passed on all the yummies at both places and let me tell you - that was tough!!! I won't list all that was there as I don't want to do that to anyone. I took the cold thai salad to both parties and ate that along with the protein which was beef one night and pulled chicken (plain) yesterday. So,I'm going with the pat on the back in spite of the finger in the icing incident (hey, we all make mistakes and I am working on forgiving myself).

I successfully avoided a want for a drink last night after we got home from the fireworks. Actually, funny story, I was going to just give in and a neighbor came out on his porch as we were taking pups out, he drunkingly shouted about loosing his dog. I rolled my eyes and figured that was a sign, so I decided against the drink. Well, I figure, however I get my signs - I get them!! LOL!

I'm actually feeling like this is now a lifestyle change for me and I'm pretty dedicated to staying with this for the duration. I'd like to go to 40 days on the strict Whole 30 then do a phase in.  Found out the other day that brussel sprouts really inflame my intestines (sorry for the TMI) so those are out in even medium quantities. It was nice to be able to pinpoint the problem right away and I'm looking forward to reintroducing some foods to see how it goes. I am VERY much looking forward to the reintroduction of some kind of chocolate in my life. I love dark chocolate and even the 85% and higher stuff is good to me. I really hope that's part of a reintro. Havent looked as I don't want to know till the time comes. 

This has been a challenging journey filled with ups and downs and a few pitfalls for me. But I can see that I'm slimming a bit and anxious to get on the scale to see that number. However, the real numbers I want to see is the inches and how my body composition has changed. I know my brain is beginning to change and I can feel my intestines healing.

Well, didn't mean to go on and on. Have a wonderful day everyone. I hope its sunny where you are!!

T

Great going, TCans, avoiding all the temptations! My husband isn't doing the Whole30 with me, and, especially at first, when I was making something for him, I had to catch myself several times to keep from licking a finger or tasting to check the seasoning.

I've been thinking about re-entry, too, even though I need to go through 20 July to make 30 days from the Emergen-C incident. While I certainly haven't felt deprived, there are some things I definitely would have consumed if I hadn't been purposefully restricting my diet. I'm not sure I how much I've done to change my relationship to food, and I need to think about that as I contemplate reintroducing some foods.

Archived