Day 12. Restless Leg Syndrome ??

Overall, I have felt really good since day1.  More energy than usual.  But for the last 4 nights, I have woken up about three hours into sleep cycle with what I can only describe as possible Restless Leg Syndrome (in arms too)  Not painful but wierdly irritating.  It lasts only a few minutes, but extremely annoying.  I am 52, in good physical shape, and never had anything like this before.  I have read about magnesium supplements and dropping coffee as possible solutions.  Does anyone know if this is still the best advise?  I have not increased my intake of coffee on the Whole30.

• Moderators

Here are two interesting articles that provide good insight about restless leg syndrome:

https://www.womentowomen.com/fatigue-insomnia/what-is-restless-leg-syndrome-and-how-it-can-be-treated/

http://paleohikermd.com/tag/rls/

Taking a magnesium supplement seems to help a lot of people and cannot hurt. I recently switched from Natural Calm - magnesium citrate - to a magnesium aspartate supplement. My semi-chronic bowel issues disappeared after the switch. :) You might notice from the articles that supplementing with iron and folate is another potential help. 

I don't know why some people notice RLS while doing a Whole30, especially because eating Whole30-style gives you more of what your body needs in food than other ways of eating. 

Thank you Tom.  After taking a chelated magnesium pill yesterday, I slept great.  I never take supplements, but I'm pretty convinced I need a Magnesium supplement with this program.  I also researched and found that the major sources of Magnesium are grains, nuts and beans, which I used to eat a lot, so it makes sense.  Also the number one symptom of magnesium deficiency is muscle spasms.  I just can't believe that one pill worked so quickly and efficiently.

Archived