Birthday Supper at a Chinese Restaurant - HELP?!!?

amysmithbe

My father-in-law's 70th birthday is being celebrated tonight at a Chinese restaurant.

I'm on day 23 of whole 30, how/what do I eat here?  Scared of the situation and too many people thinking I'm making a big deal out of my diet.  I don't want to go because of it!

Advice?

He only has one 70th Birthday Party.   Go and don't put your life on hold.  Are you planning a proper reintroduction phase after your 30 days?   Don't eat any rice,  ask them if they'll make your vegetables in the wok without any oils or sauces.  Eat your protein and fat before you go. Drink tea, eat vege and celebrate your  father-in-law's  70 years on earth. 

Check out this thread, Amy: http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/12209-does-anyone-know-any-whole30-compliant-chinese-food/

Also, if you know where the dinner is going to be, you might call the restaurant beforehand and ask for help. I was amazed that an old-timey cafeteria I went to was willing to do a poached salmon and steamed asparagus for me when I called beforehand. If the restaurant offers "diet" (steamed) dishes, or whole fish, or chicken, you might be able to eat something without calling attention to yourself. Just stay away from the rice and the soy sauce.

Have fun.

Yes definitely go! I was only a few days into my W30 and we had Mother's Day celeb early on Fri at our local fav Chinese rest

We are familiar with them and they always have four or five steam healthy options so they call it

Yes I ordered steamed shrimp with vegs tea and water Nonody knew in my family so mums the word

Small victory I was so proud of me and never felt left out

Archived