Whole 2.5

GoJo09

I did my first Whole 30 maybe 2 years ago now, and felt amazing during and had really good (non-scale) results (I had no scale results - bummer!). I kept up the template meals for quite a while, and avoided gluten and dairy for ages as I had some intolerances. Slowly but surely, things reverted to my previous diet (which wasn't terrible, by any means) in search of that elusive weight loss.

I started another Whole 30 last year, but really half-arsed it, so it doesn't really count (hence the .5) - it's true when they say the second is harder than your first!

So, now I'm committing to at least 30 days of Whole 30, officially starting June 28. I have a dinner planned with friends June 27 where we're getting together to make and eat dumplings (our ultimate favourite food group) - I'll make the best choices on the night, but I know I'll be eating dumplings and I'm not going to lie to myself about it. So, this will be my intro week, and then I'll start the 30 days on Sunday.

Goals:

1. Clear skin (I miss my W30 skin!)

2. PMS-free

3. Killer workout energy

Countdown Day -6

7.30 Breakfast: 1/4 frittata (made with 9 eggs and a pile of vege and potato) and a serve of smoke salmon. 2 black coffee

11.15 Pre-WO: tuna in oil

12.00 Ex: Gym class

1.30 Lunch: Baked potato, shredded pork and coleslaw

6.30 Dinner: Chicken soup (homemade with a ton of vege), Scotch egg, baby spinach and mayo

Day 1 went fine, as it always does. I think my lunch could have been bigger though as I was a little fuzzy in the afternoon, so I've bought some extra today.

Countdown Day -5

7.30 Breakfast: same as yesterday, with 1/4 avocado as well

11.15 Pre-WO: tuna in oil

12.00 Tempo run

1.00 Post-WO: Scotch egg

1.30 Lunch: Baked potato, shredded pork, coleslaw and mayo, Scotch egg

6.30 Dinner: Steak, panfried zucchini and baby red capsicum, 1/4 avo

Edit: Pre and Post didn't happen, because I'd decided to flag the run then at the last minute a friend was going out so I tagged along.

Still going fine. Will be extra hungry today as I had a big track session this morning (6 x 600m @ 80% - killer!), and I am wildly underprepared for lunch as I was running very late for work.

Countdown Day -4

5.30 Pre-WO: 1/2 Scotch egg

6.00 Ex: Running intervals

7.20 Post-WO: 1/2 roast spud and the rest of the Scotch egg (a bit fatty, but all I had prepped - totally forgot to cook any chicken)

9.30 Breakfast: Frittata and an almond milk latte

1.00 Lunch: Shredded pork, bunch brocollini and a zucchini - totally unprepared! Will probably throw in a can of tuna in oil too as this isn't going to cut it Wasn't hungry at all.

6.30 Dinner: Same as last night - steak, vege and some avo Ended up having a Scotch egg with mayo and a bowl of chicken and vege soup.

I also have a job interview this afternoon, so that's probably going to exacerbate my (anxiety) hunger!

Edit: Huh, turns out that anxiety (and it was a particularly stressful day) does NOT make me hungry, that was just my binge eating talking. Yesterday I had to force myself to eat lunch, and wasn't really hungry at dinner time, either. I was however, super tired - long day with stress and a cold.

Countdown Day -3

7.30 Breakfast: Frittata and half an avo

11.30 Pre-WO: tuna in oil

12 Ex: Gym class

1.15 Post-WO: Scotch egg and baked potato

2.00 Lunch: Shredded pork, broccolini and zucchini, Scotch egg and baked potato

7.30 Dinner: steak and...stuff.

Just bought an almond milk latte and the barista put chocolate on top! If I didn't know I was restarting on Sunday anyway I would have kicked up a fuss. My cold has moved in to my chest, just for fun, so I'm not sure if I'll go to the gym at lunch - my only other opportunity is tomorrow (Friday) after work though, which would be lame. I should probably just go today.

Edit: No chance of gym happening. Tossing up whether to go home and go for a run, or go home and go to bed. Probably smartest to get my butt to bed. I wasn't even hungry at 2pm for lunch, so that's a pretty clear sign that I'm not well.

Edit: Yeah, no, straight home to bed, no dinner, asleep by 7.30!

Felt so much better this morning after an early night. Seems I really only had enough food prepped until Thursday though, as it was slim pickings when I was getting ready this morning!

Countdown Day -2

7.40 Breakfast: chicken vegetable soup and a few bites of shredded pork, 2 x black coffee

11.15 Pre-WO: tuna in oil (and an almond milk latte)

12.00 Ex: Gym class - deadlifts, my fave :)

1.15 Lunch: shredded pork and frittata (reheated frozen frittata was not pleasant at all. Won't be doing that again.)

6.30 Dinner: steak and roasted potatoesm, and some baby capsicums - like I said, the cupboard is pretty bare!

As anticipated, had to start over on Sunday after a day of dining out on Saturday. And starting over with the added bonus of bloating and a sore face from something that was in one of the many, many dishes we cooked and ate! Narrowing it down would be like to trying to find a needle in a haystack. But the good news is that my running has been going gang-busters the past two weeks, unaffected by my dietary intake, so hopefully my slow ramp up (I started mostly Whole 9 a few weeks ago) has enabled me to get over the energy slump period without huge impact.

Day 1:

8am Breakfast: chicken and vege soup

12.30pm Lunch: 2 beef and pineapple kebabs with mixed greens and mayo

4.30-6.00pm rolling dinner: hard boiled egg, serve of roast lamb, few bites of sweet potato, half a baked potato. Eating while cooking up for the week. 

Ex: does lying in the sun watching baseball count as exercise? 

Day 2:

5.30am pre-WO: HB egg

Ex: 20 min tempo run (30 min total)

7.30am Breakfast: 3 meat and spinach muffins, coleslaw with mayo

12.30pm Lunch: 2 beef and pineapple kebabs with mixed greens and mayo (I meant to grab a potato, but forgot. Might find a piece of fruit in the lunch room)

6.30pm Dinner: Roast lamb, baked sweet potato and potato, steamed bok choy Ended up at a friend's for dinner, and she cooked me lamb salad with EVOO dressing

Day 3:

7.30am Breakfast: 3 meat and spinach muffins and a bunch of asparagus with mayo

12.00 Ex: 1hr gym class - bench press and bent rows

1.20pm Lunch: chicken and apple salad with mayo

4.00pm: Tin of tuna in oil

6.30pm Dinner: Roast lamb, baked potato, steamed bok choy (ie. last night's dinner) Scotch egg

I keep forgetting to bring carbs to eat! Will have a load tonight :)

Edit: Did not have enough food today. At all.

Day 4:

5.00am Pre-WO: hard boiled egg

6.00am Ex: Track session - 4 x 1km repeats, fastest at 5.01

7.30am Post-WO: half baked potato and half Scotch egg (in the car on the way home from running)

9.30am Breakfast: 3 spinach and meat muffins

1.00pm Lunch: chicken and apple salad with mayo

6.30pm Dinner: Roast lamb, baked potato and sweet potato (dipped in mayo), bok choy and steamed vege, half Scotch egg

Day 5:

7.20am Breakfast: 4 spinach and meat muffins, bunch of asparagus

11.30 Pre-WO: half Scotch egg

12.00 Ex: Gym class

1.20pm Post-WO: half Scotch egg and half baked potato

2.00pm Lunch: Roast lamb, bunch of broccolini

6.30pm Dinner: IDK yet, probably some combo of the above. 2 Scotch eggs, a small baked potato, sweet potato dipped in mayo - all eaten standing in the kitchen without benefit of even a plate...; roasted cauliflower a little later.

I'm house sitting for the next few days, so have brought all of my prepped food with me, but no pantry staples, so can't just whip up some sardine fritters or anything... Not well planned.

I also have a call back this afternoon about an internal job that I applied for, so I'm pretty nervous about that.

Edit: Was totally craving carbs this evening! Big time.

Day 6:

7.20 Breakfast: 4 spinach and meat muffins

12.40 Lunch: Roast lamb and broccolini

6.30pm Dinner: Pan fried baramundi and potato wedges

Still craving carbs...

Utterly scraping the bottom of the barrel for food. I even have to pop to the shop to buy potato as I forgot to bring some with me. Should probably get some greens too...

But, in good news, I got the job promotion, so that's good.

Day 7:
6.00 pre-WO: 2 eggs
8.00 Ex: 8km run
9.45 breakfast: coconut coated chicken and fermented cabbage (from a café - I'm fairly sure of their compliance)
1.45 snack: apple after donating blood

4.30 snack: 2 handfuls of macadamias. 

6.00 Dinner: Mexican Pork Chilli over mixed vege

Didn't log yesterday, so (this wasn't a great day, template wise)...

Day 8 (Sunday):

8.00 Breakfast: Mexican Pork Chilli over mixed vege. 2 coffees w/ almond milk

11.00 Lunch: Chicken vege soup

1.30 Second Lunch: 3x coconut coated chicken tenders, olives, a whole capsicum

4.00-6.30pm: a whole roasted sweet potato dipped in mayo, half a baked potato dipped in mayo, small serve of roast pork (this was all eaten while meal prepping for the week. I did at least put most things on plates...)

Day 9 (today):

7.30 Breakfast: Spinach and meat slice, bunch of asparagus, cherry tomatoes and mayo

11.00 Pre-WO: tuna in oil

12.00 Ex: gym class

1.15 Lunch: roast pork, coleslaw, bunch of broccolini, small roast potato

6.30 Dinner: Sardine cakes, roast green beans, coleslaw and mayo. Plus a Scotch egg.

I also have to finish making the rest of my food for the week, namely Scotch eggs. Slept like the dead last night, but was still a bit tired when I woke up this morning.

It's been a pretty stressful time for me the past two weeks, and I have Whole 30 to thank for not falling face first in to a bag of M&Ms with an ice cream chaser, washed done by a bottle of wine. And I feel 100% better for it, so if nothing else, I have that.

I did have to get on the scales when I donated blood on Saturday, and even though I tell myself I don't care about the scales (and I haven't weighed myself in a few months), it was a bit of a blow to see 73.30kg on the scales. Even though I know that was fully dressed (shoes on!), after lunch, with a litre of water in my body, I was still a bit devo. I totally expected it to be under 70. Ridiculous! At least I can laugh at myself. And realise how unhealthy the scales are for me.

Not sure if I'm going to go to work today - woke up to go for a run and my stomach has been making the most uncomfortable gurgling noises. Texted my boss and just waiting to hear back from her (she was unwell yesterday and we can't both be off at the same time).

Shouldn't really makes much difference to the food... And I might still go for a run later - I hate to mess up my schedule!

Day 10:
Breakfast : Spinach and meat slice
Lunch: mixed vege with roast pork
Dinner: cocoa cauliflower and coconut coated chicken and coleslaw with mayo

Crossing that out, as it didn't really happen that way. It was more of a day of eating... Didn't work, didn't run, didn't do anything. So, I had:

3 x spinach and meat slice

Roast pork

half a dozen olives

1.5 x roast potato with mayo

Scotch egg

cocoa toasted cauliflower (small half head)

bottle kombucha

2 x coconut chicken tenders with roasted beans and brussels sprouts

Phew!

I finally had a food cheat dream - first in 2.5 rounds. And about quiche with a pastry crust, of all things...

Day 11:

5.20am Pre-WO: HB egg

8.00am Breakfast: Spinach and meat slice, cherry tomatoes, 1x coconut coated chicken tender, half roast potato

1.00pm lunch: Roast pork and broccolini

6.30pm Dinner: Fish and vegetables.

Didn't end up running this morning, but it worked out as the coach needed a hand with recording times anyway. And it won't hurt me to have a few days off. (Plus, it was a time trial, and I hate time trials.)

Edit: was really hungry on the way home from work, so popped in and bought some trail mix. Ate entire bag of trail mix. When will I learn?!

Day 12:

7.30: 1.5 Scotch eggs and stirfry with mayo

11.00: 2 x almond milk lattes

1.00: roast pork and broccolini

5.15 (pre-wo): tuna in oil

6.30: Run (I never run after work. This will be interesting.)

7.30: Sardine fritters and roast greens

8.15: Scotch egg, roast beans and Brussels sprouts with mayo

I have again mis-calculated and run out of greens before the end of the week. I might have to buy some pre-mixed salad on the way to work tomorrow for lunch. I'm on my second batch of mayo for the week! Maybe I'll shake it up and have olives with salad tomorrow!

I do love how much calmer I am when I eat this way, with random bursts of contentedness (although there might be a hefty dose of denial in there!)

Edit: Ended up on the phone to my Dad for an hour, and then my sister for 3/4 hour, so dinner was late, and I was very uninterested in it.

Day 13:

7.30am: spinach and meat slice, half a yellow capsicum and mayo

11.15am: tuna in oil

12.00pm: 1hr gym class

1.30pm: roast lamb salad with capsicum and olives.

7.30pm: fish and chips

Had a hardboiled egg while waiting for dinner.

Day 14

6.30: hard boiled egg

7.30: 10km run

9.30: smoked trout, potato, fried egg (café brunch)

4.30: almond milk chai latte

5.00: bowl of mixed protein salads, small handful macadamia nuts, kombucha

8.00: green capsicum with mayo

Day 15

7.30: sardine fritters, potato chunks, mixed salad leaves and mayo

8.30: 4km walk

12.00: karrage chicken, fermented cabbage, mayo, salad

Not sure about dinner yet, have to do groceries first.

Terrible run yesterday - stupid going to the gym on Friday and doing a big legs session.

Urg, ended up eating terribly yesterday afternoon (although still compliant). I bought a bag of compliant sultanas (impossible to find without vege oil, better snap those up!) and some cacao almond butter (50% off? Bargain!) and proceeded to eat all the sultanas and most of the almond butter, along with 1.5 apples and 2 pork patties. Vege-smedge.

I lay in bed last night with my heart racing - usually happens if I have ice cream at night, but clearly a result of the almond butter. Or the result of eating it directly from the jar with a spoon...

Day 16:

6.30am: 30 min run

7.30am: spinach and meat slice, coleslaw with mayo, few bites of roasted sweet potato

12.45pm: roast pork with coleslaw, olives, tin of tuna in oil (brought a zucchini as well, but the kitchen at work was out of order so I couldn't cook it).

6.30pm: chicken vege soup, pork strips, steamed vege, tahini sauce (if I buy some lemon juice on the way home... whole yellow capsicum, sweet potato, last of the almond butter.

Edit: Was still hungry or something after dinner, so had a fair amount of sweet potato chunks - probably half a sweet potato - I think I just needed the carbs as I have my period

Day 17
7.20am: 2 x meat and spinach slice

1.00pm: 1x pork patty, half baked potato

1.30pm: shredded pork, coleslaw, olives

6.30pm: chicken curry (I really hope the chicken has defrosted...) 4 pieces of roast potato, few bites of capsicum dipped in tahini dressing.

Ended up having to drop my weights at the gym today - wasn't really an energy issue, so much as a slight impingement in my shoulder. Oh, and the fact that none of the boys in the class wanted to team up with me. Sad face. 

Day 18

5.20am: 1 x scrambled egg

6.00am: track session - 5 x 800m with 200m kick

7.15am: pork patty and half a baked potato

7.45am: pork strip

9.15am: meat and spinach slice, pork strip

12.30pm: giant bowl of chicken curry (had to eat before a meeting, even though I wasn't hungry)

7.15pm: chicken vege soup, 2x small baked potato, pork patty, yellow capsicum and tahini dressing

Was dragging at track this morning - legs felt very leaden again. Boo!

But, my pants now fit funny - they slip down every time I walk, but are still tight around my thighs. Damn losing weight from the top down! And I've had problems with my gym/running pants slipping at the waist too, but I thought that was just because they weren't as new as they once were... Maybe not though!

Day 19

7.00am: 4 egg omelette full of coleslaw

12.00pm: 1hr gym class - pull ups and shoulder press (went light as I'm very weary at the moment)

1.00pm: pork patty and baked potato

1.30pm: shredded pork and zucchini

6.30 pm: steamed vege with tahini dressing, 2 pork patties, shredded pork and handful of roast potato/sweet potato

Was very very hungry this evening so doubled up on the protein and dressing. Haven't been recovering well this week, so went light at the gym and bulked up the food. Sleeping like a log but still weary in the mornings. I did just finish my period a few days ago and it was quite heavy.

Woke up hungry yet again, even after (or perhaps because of) that massive dinner

Day 20

6.00am: few bites of sweet potato

7.00am: 3 coconut coated chicken tenders, yellow capsicum, roast potato and sweet potato, tahini dressing

12.45pm: 2 x lamb and spinach slice

6.30pm: sardine fritters, baked potato chips, cocoa toasted cauliflower

Then heading out again to get some dry needling and massage on my legs in prep for tomorrow's 12km. Where I will hopefully have better legs than I did last Saturday!

Edit: um, dinner didn't end up like that at all... Was peckish on the way home from work so bought some trail mix. You can see where this is going if you look at last Friday night... Had the whole bag of trail mix and some roasted potato chips.

Need to have a Friday evening plan so that I don't "treat myself" on the way home!

13km run today. Hard slog for the last 3, but lap pace says I was fine. Ended up being a pretty snacky day, which isn't ideal.

Day 21

5.30am: 2 hard boiled eggs

7.15am: 13km run, avg 6.18/km

9.00am: half banana, 2 date and coconut balls, coconut water

10.00am: 2 hard boiled eggs, coconut water

11.30am: apricot and nut bar

1.00pm: crispy skin salmon, bunch bok choy, while yellow capsicum and mayo, kombucha

1.30pm: half sweet potato and mayo

5.30pm: half sweet potato with mayo, half head cocoa cauliflower, shredded pork, kombucha

Day 22

8.00am: 3 fried eggs, whole yellow capsicum, whole cucumber, shot glass of mayo, apple

2.30pm: shredded pork and coleslaw with mayo

6.30pm: few roasted brussels sprouts, big Scotch fillet, bunch asparagus and bok choy with lemon pepper and a wee bit of tahini dressing.

Actually slept in today, which never happens - woke at 6 and went to the loo, and then fell right back to sleep until 7.45. Legs felt much less tired today and I probably could have run, but I'm glad I had changed my plans.

Spent the morning shopping with a friend, so walked around a fair amount. Bought some incredibly tight skinny jeans, so here's hoping either they stretch a bit or I shrink a bit! They look really good though :).

Day 23

7.30am: 2x pork and spinach slice

11.15am: was really hungry, so had a tin of tuna in oil as a pre-wo

1.15pm: crispy skinned salmon, coleslaw with mayo, sweet potato chunks

6.30pm: baby red capsicum, steamed zucchini, large Scotch fillet steak, roasted Brussels sprouts, sweet potato chunks, olives  mayo.

Archived