The last 12 days...

Seem harder than the first 18 it seems in different ways. 

The first 15 days were all about the food....so much work, so much prep, so much thinking! Dealing with cravings and substitutions and then problems with finding the right foods (even to the extent of not all coconut milk is compliant, etc). It was all consuming and completely exhausting. 

Now that much of that is more normalized and things are more calm, it's harder in some ways. 

Rather than the old feelings of "I don't think I can do this for 30 days", I've got "I'm not sure this is worth it" feelings. Not to the point where I want to quit, I have no plans to quit - I'm finishing this thing for sure....but I have seen no glimpse of the "Tiger Blood", no boundless energy, no real benefits at all. Yes, I'm a tad less moody than I was before I started and maybe I'm starting to sleep a little better, but I was so hoping to have the last 1/2 of the program be a lot more rewarding than it is. 

Has anyone else had this happen? Maybe the further off track you were when you started the longer it takes? Can I expect ANY improvements before my 30 days is done? I don't really want to do another Whole30 next month, though I am planning on carrying most of this eating forward for my weight and health.

Thoughts? 

T

Have you seen the Whole30 time line?  Sounds like your day 18 is closer to day 21. Everyone's experience is different. 

Also, a gentle reminder that it's a 30 day program. http://whole30.com/2014/01/whole30-tough-love/ Previous lifestyle and medical history can be factors as to when you start seeing more changes.

Stay the course, be patient with yourself, and hang in there!  

These two posts are reading my mind! I am on day 18 and EXACTLY where you are. I could have written your post. And I have been meaning to check the timeline all day. I'm not going to quit, but I've been having the same thoughts about if it's worth it. I was falling back into drinking diet sodas and smoking and needed a strict reset to get me back on track and I feel like I could handle those things if I quit.

I've done two Whole30's before but didn't follow the reintroduction so that's my motivation right now. To get there. But I'm not feeling any mega energy and I am so. Sick. Of. Cooking. Not to mention going to the store so often.

Today for lunch I brought seared ahi, veggies and half an avocado. Coworkers wanted to go out and were very accommodating to go the one place I know I can get a compliant meal. I got a seared tuna and avocado salad! But it felt so nice to eat out and now I have lunch all ready for tomorrow.

I'm also getting burned out in having to avoid every little item with sugar in it. For example, chicken and dressings at restaraunts.

I'm not quitting though. I am sleeping a little better. My face is noticeably better. I'm less bloated and having less stomach issues. Trying to get to day 20 and hoping it may seem better mentally. The last ten days and all.

Thanks for your honest post! I needed to hear someone else was exactly where I am.

Are you planning on doing the reintroduction?

Amy I'm really glad I posted now. I honestly don't mean to feel negative or like a complainer, and as the previous poster noted it is a 30 day program and I do know that. I also know that everyone is different. It's just frustrating when you know how much work you've put in and when you know how hard it's been and all of a sudden you start feeling like it's just so overwhelming.

I'm really tired of cooking to pretty much from the time I get home from work till I go to bed I am either cooking, washing dishes, cleaning up, packing lunches for the next day or cooking something else. It is very exhausting and like you said, the monotony of looking for sugar in every single thing you try to buy and just when you find something that you think is going to work there it is in the ingredients!

We have a local vegetarian restaurant that does a lot of fairly healthy stuff. I want to take my friend out on Friday for lunch, and I called to see if they have anything I can eat. There are literally two things on their menu that I can have, both of which are salad with one of their two dressings that don't have suga, dairy or grain.

Yes I am going to do a reintroduction. I want to make sure that I do not experience negative symptoms - after all the one thing that we will get out of this is a clean body. I do want to try it and see how things affect me and I expect that I will be reintroducing some things that I've missed as far as convenience and availability.

T

I'm really tired of cooking to pretty much from the time I get home from work till I go to bed I am either cooking, washing dishes, cleaning up, packing lunches for the next day or cooking something else. It is very exhausting and like you said, the monotony of looking for sugar in every single thing you try to buy and just when you find something that you think is going to work there it is in the ingredients!

You don't need to cook all the time.  Find ways to either batch cook once and have multiple meals, make the crock pot your friend, use canned foods (e.g., compliant tuna, chicken, salmon or sardines) or even compliant hot dogs or sausage for meals once in a while.  There are lots of ideas in the meal planning section of the forum. Plus, Melissa Joulwan's website suggests "hot plates."

You don't need to cook all the time.  Find ways to either batch cook once and have multiple meals, make the crock pot your friend, use canned foods (e.g., compliant tuna, chicken, salmon or sardines) or even compliant hot dogs or sausage for meals once in a while.  There are lots of ideas in the meal planning section of the forum. Plus, Melissa Joulwan's website suggests "hot plates."

No I'm aware of that. I've done batch cooking and have everything prepped including multiple proteins in my fridge....it's still a lot of work and you still have to put all the meals together, pack the meals to go for work, wash everything up so you have containers, etc. I have a multitude of options including compliant sausages, chicken, tuna, pork, beef, eggs, etc.  I don't really need much help in "meal planning" to be honest, I'm not struggling for what to eat. 

I don't know the situation in your household, but when you have to manage the kitchen for more than one (maybe you do too) and do that by yourself, it's not easy.  Would it be different if I wasn't on Whole30? Not totally, no, but there are more options for foods that are more "grab and go" friendly, lunch or dinners out once or twice a week, etc. Even not having to make my own bbq sauce, ketchup, clarified butter, mayo, dressings, etc would save a lot of time. 

I don't know the situation in your household, but when you have to manage the kitchen for more than one (maybe you do too) and do that by yourself, it's not easy.  Would it be different if I wasn't on Whole30? Not totally, no, but there are more options for foods that are more "grab and go" friendly, lunch or dinners out once or twice a week, etc. Even not having to make my own bbq sauce, ketchup, clarified butter, mayo, dressings, etc would save a lot of time. 

I do have more than one in my household, and fortunately we share meal prep.  :) 

I've found once you find your groove, it gets easier.  Clarified butter; I cut it up, put it on the stove on low, let it do its thing and I later strain through cheesecloth and a fine mesh strainer. Mayo I can make in less than 5 minutes. Same with most dressings.  

Also, prior to discovering the Whole30 back in 2013, I was gluten-free for 6 years. I believe that gave me a leg up on successfully transitioning to a Whole30 way of eating most of the time, whether at home or dining out. 

Take it a day at a time, a meal at a time if you have to, and make things as easy and simple as possible for you to succeed.

Hi there Vegasnine

I hear you

You've received good advice tho

I'm into this 6 weeks I have my family I cook for so I limit the recipies and really cook pretty much one entree my W30 way the only things I add is a side (pasta or rice) for them I f I don't make potatoes

Things haven't changed much around here I'm still cooking as I've done for 30 years or more

Keeping this simple has made all the difference

I haven't found it hard to prep I'm pretty organized I'm sure you are too

Yes this is so worth it!! Not only for yourself but for your household

I shop once weekly as soon as I can empty all the assorted meats into their own dishes season marinate and refrigerate they'll keep Same with veggies you can roast entire pans Split potatoes store them in covered cold water until it's time to cook them

With chicken I dry rub or soak in salt water overnight It's never dried out and it's always available

I cook 4:30 am breakfasts my lunches are prepared the night before and sometimes my oven has 2 suppers with the slo cooker it's 3

Other than fish which is cooked fresh

If you can't wait until it's over I'm sorry to say it won't ever be if you love the way you feel now

Think of the justice you are doing yourself and your household

Do you really want to go back to the way you lived before??

And Read this:

MeadowLily's

Today, 03:00 PM

If you've been here awhile, we've read that it takes more than willpower.

It takes Want Power. Want Power trumps Won't Power.

I totally understand this feeling... I was there during my first W30, I thought I was committed but the only thing getting me by was really willpower. I didn't see any real changes and I was frustrated, and I ended up caving and ending my 30 early. Well I stayed pretty true to the W30 mindset for the next 3 months before starting my 2nd attempt. I really saw the differences this time and it really motivated me to continue. Part of me was still willpower just to be able to say that I did it, but I really agree with the fact that sometimes people need more time to see more results because 30 days just isn't enough, and it wasn't for me...

Hope your Day 19 is off to a good start!  I know everyone's Whole30 is different but you read so many stories where people are rocking it and it feels good to vent your struggles out loud.

I do all the batch cooking, but then there's always something I run out of!  I'm just cooking for myself and it's still hard.  

We're pretty much in the final third now, so hopefully that extra energy will be around the corner for us!  I am feeling more awake yesterday and today at least.  

Hope your Day 19 is off to a good start!  I know everyone's Whole30 is different but you read so many stories where people are rocking it and it feels good to vent your struggles out loud.

I do all the batch cooking, but then there's always something I run out of!  I'm just cooking for myself and it's still hard.  

We're pretty much in the final third now, so hopefully that extra energy will be around the corner for us!  I am feeling more awake yesterday and today at least.  

Morning, the rest of day 18 was ok and today is ok so far (just starting though).

You are right, I know everyone is different for sure and this is a great place to come and get some advice, tough love and support.

We are Amy! Only 12 more days including today! All we can do is keep going and hope for the best!

Have a good one!

T

Archived