Pickled olives and turnips freaking out please help!

Sarah1313

Ok I am on day 7 of my first whole 30 and I am freaking out about eating out. Tonight I ate at a medeterranian restaurant, which is typically very healthy. I know that they use coconut oil to cook the meats, and that there was no added sugar or grains in my meal. I am concerned because my meal came with a side of house pickles (green olives and turnips), which now I am reading on here that pickles may contain sulfites! I don't know if these pickles had sulfites or not! Do I need to start over. Eating out is so stressful on this plan! This restaurant does follow the maximized living nutrition advanced plan. Do you think I am safe? What should I do??? My nose does feel a little itchy tonight. Could it be from the pickles? I feel like maybe I should never eat out because I cannot guarantee what really is in my food. please help.

• Moderators

First, please relax.

The only way to know for sure if the pickles contain sulfites would be to contact the restaurant and ask about the ingredients.

For whether you should start over or not, read this article and decide for yourself.

As far as eating out, there are plenty of discussions on the forum about this. Check out the Travel and Dining Out section. Yes, it is hard to eat out while you're doing a Whole30, but it is possible. It helps if you can do a little research on the restaurant beforehand. If they have a website with their menu, start there and figure out some things that seem likely to be compliant, or that could easily be made compliant, and then contact the restaurant and ask them, explaining what it is that you need, and asking if the things you're thinking of already meet those needs or if they could prepare some special for you. If you don't have time to prepare beforehand, ask your server for what you need. 

(Also, I've deleted the duplicate posts that asked the same question.)

Archived