Making it happen

CaseyD

Ok, so I'm reading the book "Make Shi(f)t Happen" right now. Pretty good, so far.

I love this forum, but for a reason other than the fact that it is an awesome forum. I keep reading posts from people who are stumbling, starting over and over, and questioning why this is and what to do about it. I read that stuff and see MY excuses in it. I say out loud what I know to be the answer to these problems, and then it dawned on me yesterday morning that if I knew "the answer," then why am I not applying it to my life?

I'm not trying to be a know-it-all, and I think many people probably do a similar thing when they hear other people's problems which are just like their own. I think it just is starting to click with me and it is helping that I'm reading this book at the same time.

I go strong, fall down, and pick back up over and over - to the point that I wonder if I'll ever get it right. It's like I'm waiting for some magic moment when nothing will interfere and cause me to eat bad. But, I know that I am the only one who causes me to eat bad. Not a crabby day with my daughter, not a guilt trip by my husband, not even a buffet of junk food at a relative's house - just me.

I'm on my second day of a Whole30 I've tried to start up three times now. I had thought about waiting to post a log until I was a week in, but the reason I would wait is because I'm worried I will fail. Yet, I'm the only one who can decide if I'm going to fail. I'm posting this log now because I'm deciding that I'm not going to fail. I'm not going to make excuses anymore as to why I "deserve" or "earned" or "need" or whatever an unhealthy food. I'm not going to cave into sweets - my arch nemesis - rationalize it for the moment, and then later wonder how I will ever be able to quit sweets. It always happens because I decide to let it happen - nothing more.

Ok, there's my pep talk. :) Now, the food log:

Day 1:

8:45 a.m. 2 eggs in coconut oil

10:30 a.m. Tomato and 1/2 banana, decaf coffee with coconut milk

1:30 p.m. salmon, spaghetti squash, broccoli, zucchini in sunflower seed sauce

4 p.m. small amount of baked sweet potato fries and 1/2 can tuna in olive oil

7 p.m. steak, spinach/onion in coconut oil, baked carrots

11 p.m. pastured pork sausage (literally, pork and a few spices)

Day 2:

8:30 a.m. 2 eggs in coconut oil, 1/2 banana, tomato, tea

11 a.m. small amount of leftover salmon/spaghetti squash dish from yesterday

1:30 p.m. hamburger, salad with onion, lettuce, bell pepper, avocado and small amount of baked sweet potato fries.

6 p.m. Puerto Rican beef recipes from Everyday Paleo (roughly, I change ingredients around).

I've had some bad sugar cravings today and yesterday, so I may end up eating some kind of fatty meat later (like I did with the sausage). Hopefully, only 2-3 more days of the intense sugar cravings!

I guess it is good to mention that I'm training for a Tough Mudder and trying to keep an almost daily yoga practice so I can go into teacher training soon, so you will notice I eat sweet potato practically every day. Plus, sweet potatoes are cheap.

Archived